Age concept

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Age concept

Postby Fluffles » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 pm

So, first off, I'd like to say that I only JUST started learning how to use Blender a few days ago, and making this little thing is how I got around learning a bit of the basics, so don't expect something extravagant or anything.

That said, I'm not sure if the idea behind this age would work with Ronay/D'ni history. Because I've never heard anything about the first descriptive book, I decided to try and build a temple that might house that first book as a sort of shrine to Yahvo, out of gratitude for the gift of writing ages. So basically, I think it could be that during the time the Ronay people were leaving Garternay to go to both Terahnee and D'ni, someone took the book to keep it from being destroyed, and escaped with it. They could have written a new age; one that's stable, to house that book. Of course, since it was the first book, it's probably safe to assume either A) it still works, and could possibly be the very gift Yahvo gave to the Ronay people to show them the ability to write descriptive/linking books, or B) as the first descriptive book written after discovering the gift, it might have been written with too many contradictions because of a lack of knowledge in writing, and would be too dangerous to travel to since the age probably deteriorated.

So whether only the Ronay people know about this age, or only the D'ni people, or both know, is up for debate. Or, that person who took it could have kept it a secret, and the book to the age housing the temple could have been lost until found by explorers, either in D'ni or in some other age.

Well, even if the story behind the age isn't something that'll work because of history that's already written, it can be changed, so anyways, here's a few pictures of the temple. There's no other environment around it yet, since I'm still learning how to go about creating it (and I don't even know what kind of environment I would want it in), so it's just the temple for now.

Photobucket link!
Fluffles

Re: Age concept

Postby dendwaler » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Welcome..Fluffels,
I am glad to see that still there are still people that want to become a writer .
If you had no experience at all with blender, then your shown models are good for a starter.
If i may give some advice then first start with a realy small age .
First learn all ins and outs you will encounter during building effort with exporting.
do not think about the story and not think about the puzzles.
Learn to make low poly models, learn to texture them realy good.
Make a small world and publish it when you are satisfied with the lightning, as your first demo.
Then start with something fresh.
Think about the puzzle,
Make first a puzzle on paper a good one...it will probably need animation.
Then make a working simple world inside blender where the puzzle is only a few cubes without details, but get this to work in the engine with all the needed scripting and pyhon coding.
You will notice that this more difficult then it sounds.
Then think about a story where you need this puzzle.
Finaly make your world in detail and implement the puzzle.
Why in this order?
Well,
I can tell you by experience that it very frustrating to start modelling in detail to discover in the final stage that you are not able to make the puzzle as you intended.
Its like having waisted a year from your life.
And .......ask, ask, ask, there are many people around that can help if you are stuck.
Good luck with your efforts and i hope to see a lot from you. :)
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Tweek » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:07 am

There isn't a lot of information regarding the Book of Earth around. It is likely the Book was brought to D'ni when they left Garternay indeed there are references to people having seen copies of it (see Book of Ti'ana).

Terahnee and D'ni weren't the only splinter Ages, there we others. In fact it is my belief there were actually 5 Ages the Ronay fled to (and why the number 5 is so important in D'ni culture). The Book of D'ni covers the discovery of the Temple of the Great King, within this temple (which was built following guidelines set down in prophecy) there are 4 alcoves with the Book of Terahnee being in the last one. It is highly likely that the other 3 alcoves contain linking books to the other splinter Ages. Given that there is a duplicate temple on Terahnee (which would likely have contained 4 Books one to D'ni and 3 to the other splinter Ages) it is likely the other 3 splinter Ages also have duplicate temples which contain Linking books to Terahnee, D'ni, and the other splinter Ages.

The Book of Earth certainly would not have been left on Garternay, if the Book had been destroyed by accident there it would cancel out any Links to D'ni stranding a great deal of people.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Fluffles » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:53 pm

That's all information I wasn't aware of, so it's deeply appreciated! And renders the story for this age pointless too. :P Although I do wonder if one of three of those books (I'm sure Terahnee and D'ni were only written when everyone realized Garternay was dying.. if I'm wrong, let me know. xD) was the very first written age, which was what I was curious about. But I imagine even that book, if not one of those three, would be in the Tomb of the Great King if it was important enough. Thanks for the info, Tweek!

And that's definitely a helpful list. I imagine the biggest problem for me would be texturing, since I'm by no means an artist, and I'd probably have to rely on someone else for that unless I can find some free textures or something that no one would mind me using. The only other issue is that I'm not sure how to test my ages yet. If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to have bought Complete Chronicles, right? And then you can use the Offline KI for developing and debugging stuff. I haven't looked for any tutorials on all that since I was hoping there'd be a way around having to buy it, although I probably will anyways.
Fluffles

Postby Tweek » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:10 am

Well D'ni was not short of temples and cults, so you could always tweak the story setting slightly.

You are correct, D'ni and Terahnee were Written when Garternay began to die (along with the other splinter Ages). As for one being the first Age ever Written I'm not sure. We don't actually know when the Art was discovered (I have theorized about connections regarding the Bahro being enslaved and the Ronay getting the Art from them) but there are references to the Ronay wanting to use the Art for slave Ages, which Ri'neref disagreed with and which is why when Garternay began to die Ri'neref sought to take some people to D'ni instead of Terahnee to get away from that mentality.

The Tomb of the Great King did house a considerable amount of really old Books, some would have been early D'ni some perhaps from Garternay. Given that the majority of the Ronay went to Terahnee, I can't help but feel that "the first Age" would have been taken with them but again that is just personal speculation.

The Wiki has a good collection of tutorials regarding Age building, my only suggestion in regards to texturing is to us textures created from photos from RL. They tend to be the best and most realistic where as computer generated ones often look kind of plastic.

UruCC is pretty cheap these days, Steam has it for around $10.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Return to Building