Sprites Issues

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Sprites Issues

Postby Tweek » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:04 am

I'm trying to get sprites working in an Age.. now I managed to get some working in the Ae'gura Aquarium (the ones that rotate around a sphere) at least as far as I can tell..

However I'm trying to get billboard sprites working like an imager and it just doesn't want to work. I've followed both the tutorial on the GoW Wiki and Andy's one over at the GoME site.

Every time I've tried it shows up in game like this:

and doesn't rotate around like it is supposed to.

Am I missing something?
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Re: Sprites Issues

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:22 am

Shorah.
If you job with 3DS Max, i can help you.
First, you not use the Render Sprite, because that is only for the Proximity of the Lights. You most Use the Render Bilboard.
The secret is keep the Y direcion toward of the line of sprite. This because, after you addet in the Plasma engine the Bilboard sistem, it rolling the object around The Y. But you need to do another thing......You most keep the Z direction toward back to the visible Texture, or you cannot see the sprite into the game.
For to know the ortgonal coordinated about a single object, change the indication "VIEW" on the top, in "LOCAL".
And use it for to move and to oriented the object, because if you use the "VIEW" sistem, is possible it lost the correc coordinates.
And remember is better the Pivot Point is alligned to a limit to the plain you use for the Bilboard: this because the rotation start from the Pivot Point....If it is in the middle or in another position inside to the plane, the rotation result not normal.
After that, use the UVW coordinate for to the regolation of texture. Here there is the sistem who i have use for my age.
I hope this can help you.
If you use Blender, Sorry, i cannot help, because i have it, but i not understand how it can work....For now.
Shoah and good job. ;)
Attachments
Bilboard Application.jpg
Bilboard Application.jpg (190.88 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
Last edited by Jhon J. Jaguar on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Tweek » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks, but yeah I use Blender...I probably should have mentioned that at the start >.<
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:54 am

OK...But check in all cases the Center of the Axis. Is possible this can give you the problems. The rotation is always around the center of the object.
Hope you solve. Good job. :D
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Deledrius » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:40 am

Thanks to Doobes experimenting with this today, we've identified that we have no idea what's going on here. This is clearly a bug, but for no apparent reason. Further investigation is required.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tweek » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks, it's refreshing to know it's a bug. Been banging my head against a wall trying to get it to work with no luck.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Postby Karkadann » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:22 pm

If your light beam is rotating from the middle on all three axis's its gonna look real weird, perhaps what you need is for it to rotate in place on one axis

I don't know if their is a blender equivalent to the Swivel component under render in Max but unlike sprite which I believe rotates on all three axis's Swivel only rotates on one axis's

I used it for the Crystal skull in the Stonehenge cavern, also i think Cyan used it for the two lights on the Relto stairs, if you notice they only rotate on the z axis
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Tweek » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:29 am

It's not, it's set to rotate around the one axis as I stated in the first post (using the billboard settings).

I'm also not using Max, as I mentioned earlier in the topic so what ever settings exist in Max are of no help in Blender.

Regardless of what I try it doesn't work and as Del pointed out it is apparently a bug so at this time without it being fixed in pyprp there isn't a whole lot that can be done :)
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Postby Karkadann » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 am

It should be possible to set everything up in Max, and add it to the age file as a prp file
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Tweek » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:45 pm

I appreciate that, but I don't use Max, haven't used Max in like 10 years, don't even remember how to do stuff in it anymore. Figuring how to use Max enough to implement it then added as a PRP file may work in theory in execution it's going to be a pain and frankly I don't have time to learn Max again which is why I use Blender for Intangibles. I need to be able to make tweaks to it on the fly (placement, texturing, vertex painting, any mesh colour values) to make it look right. I'm not going to be able to do that with Max because I don't know how to do it.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Next

Return to Building