My first Test with 3Ds Max

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: My first Test with 3Ds Max

Postby Scarabee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am

Have you tried using prefix numbers lower then 60000?

Hi, Karkadann.

I just try with 6500 instead of 60000 and it's working !
In fact I did that after I looking on the Tutorial of "AgeCreationTutorials" on Youtube : Uru Modding - Setting Everything Up
He says "To be on the safe side, don't use any numbers above 16000"

So, I reserved a new Age Sequence Prefix on Independent youru website. All seems ok now. :P

Now, I can continue...

Thank you all for your help.
Mister Magic in Moula 1255010
Scarabee

Postby Karkadann » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:19 am

Any time

Just cuz something is temperamental does not mean their is no way of working with it, or around it.
You might find similar issues with Max/Plasma threw out your age creation the trick is
to figure out how to work around it if their is no way threw it, basically always have a plan B.

It seems Cyan has produced more puzzles then they originally intended
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:04 am

Ahhh, that would make sense, some computer numbers have a max value around 32000, and any number greater than that just ends up messed up.
According to the sequence prefix page, prefixes are stored on 23 bits, which would give roughly 8 millions values. But maybe these 23 bits also store the flags, or maybe even the page number - this is why both of these end up being totally mixed up.
So indeed, the max value would be something like 32700. It's just that the Max plugin doesn't do any sanity checks and just assumes "the prefix will fit" (which is not the case). As for Ages using greater numbers listed on the Wiki... Well, maybe they also end up having the wrong prefix, but authors never noticed it.

Karkadann wrote:It seems Cyan has produced more puzzles then they originally intended
I guess they never intended to have tons of Ages running on their servers, and that people using the Max plugin would probably know about the limit anyway... :P
Sirius

Postby Scarabee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:20 pm

But maybe these 23 bits also store the flags, or maybe even the page number -

You probably have right Sirius. that's why with 60000 I had always with Plasmashop a negative value for the id age and another number of page plus the reserved flag.
Mister Magic in Moula 1255010
Scarabee

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Technical note: locations are 32-bits, but remember that locations include both the sequence prefix and the page number. IIRC, in PotS, the sequence prefix could 24-bits, but that was decreased to 16-bits in MOUL to allow for more pages in an age (probably due to the increasing amount of GlobalAnimation pages).

On a less technical note, be careful with the Max 2012 plugin builds. They aren't exactly stable, and I make no promise that they work as expected.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Karkadann » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:On a less technical note, be careful with the Max 2012 plugin builds. They aren't exactly stable, and I make no promise that they work as expected.

In addition Max does not seem to be reverse compatible, all I got when I tried to open the Max file above in Max 7 is a bunch of missing dll file errors.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Technical note: locations are 32-bits, but remember that locations include both the sequence prefix and the page number. IIRC, in PotS, the sequence prefix could 24-bits, but that was decreased to 16-bits in MOUL to allow for more pages in an age (probably due to the increasing amount of GlobalAnimation pages).

Exactly. And I guess someone substracted a sign bit, just to be sure, and hence declared that 23bit is the length of a sequence prefix - and we have sequence prefixes longer than 16bit to confirm that this works. But they were created with Blender. The 3ds Max plugin of course targets MOUL with 16bit page numbers, minus the sign gives a max. of ~32k.

For additional fun, if an age has more than 256 pages in POTS, then it starts using up "the next" sequence prefix (as the page number overflows into the sequence prefix). Which can give you some... interesting effects. Ahra Pahts is the only fan age exhibiting this. We've seen Pahts Shells appearing in various ages as a consequence ;-) but as far as I recall, we found a way to fix this, by manually unloading pages or so... man, this is so long ago, I absolutely don't remember. Seems like I've done Uru for too long already^^
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:05 pm

diafero wrote:Ahra Pahts is the only fan age exhibiting this. We've seen Pahts Shells appearing in various ages as a consequence ;-) but as far as I recall, we found a way to fix this, by manually unloading pages or so... man, this is so long ago, I absolutely don't remember. Seems like I've done Uru for too long already^^

Yes I remember back in 2010, I sent you pictures of "Ahra Pahts" parts far away in the lake in D'ni-Ae'gura. The phenomenon doesn't exist anymore since the fix.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Previous

Return to Building