Denkasen !

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Denkasen !

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Deledrius wrote:I suspect the best way to do this is to allow the swim region code to connect with the waveset code, but I dread looking at the parts of the engine responsible for this. Still, it could be done (and really needs to be, since ideally people should be using wavesets for most water -- including swimmable).

Well I suspect at some point most of the swimming code will have to get rewritten. Swim2D will get replaced by one system that controls both underwater and surface swimming and switch between the surface swimming visual and the foggy underwater visual which will also tie into the sound effect system to mimic muffled underwater sound.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Deledrius » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:17 pm

That's very true.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Annabelle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm far from being as technical as our fellow explorers.

I really like your job nevertheless. I don't understand everything of your 'special feature' but to be able to create monster waves that's a neat feature :lol:

On a visual & collision point of view now, 2 questions/points arise:

1) Why did you put 3 layers of palms up there on the hills? I think we aren't supposed to explore that part so I was wondering is there a wanted effect by adding up layers like that?

2) You should maybe consider putting a collision around the leafs on the ground. It's always weird to not bump into such visuals. I can understand for little plants like the ones found in Delin for example, but with greater plan it's odd. Maybe just small collisions covering the height of those plants.

À part de tout cela, ton âge est bien fait. J'aime bien aussi l'autre âge qui fait paysage lunaire, "Protagen". Continue comme ça ! :)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Deledrius » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Annabelle wrote:2) You should maybe consider putting a collision around the leafs on the ground. It's always weird to not bump into such visuals. I can understand for little plants like the ones found in Delin for example, but with greater plan it's odd. Maybe just small collisions covering the height of those plants.

An item on my wishlist/todo is a modifier that activates some very simple bone deformation to plants/grasses when a physical collides with them. It does wonders for immersion and doesn't need to be very complicated.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:58 am

Deledrius wrote:I rely heavily on the developer console we have in MOULa to debug Age building (and the better flymode and independent camera mode), and the fact that we can launch the engine directly into the Age I'm testing makes it so much nicer!
Sounds nice ! I never experimented with these, to be honest. But then, I never experimented with the new engine either - except when playing on Gehn, of course. I should do that someday :)
I also rely heavily on Drizzle to automate some tasks - repaging or renaming PRPs, for instance. And Drizzle is limited when it comes to MOUL PRPs.

Deledrius wrote:The KI hacks might not work the same though, since the KI was made drastically different between games
Oh, the interface comes from the KI, but it's not tied to it. It's a duplicate of the KI's PRP, so even on a different game with a different KI, it would still work fine. (... I actually wanted to take control of the KI's interface to avoid messing with PRPs, but in the end my script and xKI.py where fighting over which was in control. In the end I duplicated the PRPs, which allowed me more control over the various text fields).
The only issue is that the two new PRPs used still rely on cross-Age references, for instance for the textures and materials (since that's the original behavior of the KI). So when doing a MOUL version, we might have to cut these references since I think the pagenumbers for the GUI are changed.

Deledrius wrote:a Waveset can have a list of SceneObjects that are buoys
Hmmm, sounds cool ! Will see about that.

GPNMilano wrote:Swim2D will get replaced by one system that controls both underwater and surface swimming and switch between the surface swimming visual and the foggy underwater visual which will also tie into the sound effect system to mimic muffled underwater sound
OH YES. I'd love to see that, would be great for Fan-Ages (plus, seeing normally while underwater always felt very strange to me).

Annabelle wrote:Why did you put 3 layers of palms up there on the hills? I think we aren't supposed to explore that part so I was wondering is there a wanted effect by adding up layers like that?
Err, I wanted it to feel like a forested area up there, but it could be that some of the trees can't be seen from the beach. Maybe I should have brought them closer to the cliff, or something.

Annabelle wrote:You should maybe consider putting a collision around the leafs on the ground. It's always weird to not bump into such visuals. I can understand for little plants like the ones found in Delin for example, but with greater plan it's odd. Maybe just small collisions covering the height of those plants.
True. I'll put a small collision around those, but I don't want to feel like you're standing on a paperthin leave either, or be completely unable to run through those.

Annabelle wrote:À part de tout cela, ton âge est bien fait. J'aime bien aussi l'autre âge qui fait paysage lunaire, "Protagen". Continue comme ça ! :)
Merci beaucoup ! :P Protergen was more an experiment than a real Age, to be honest, although it did look good, in its own way.

Deledrius wrote:An item on my wishlist/todo is a modifier that activates some very simple bone deformation to plants/grasses when a physical collides with them. It does wonders for immersion and doesn't need to be very complicated.
+1. On a similar topic, I also wish I could use the Wind Modifier used in Laki'Ahn for my palm trees. The Age is very static and needs more animations.
Sirius

Postby diafero » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:18 am

and the fact that we can launch the engine directly into the Age I'm testing makes it so much nicer!
Shameless plug: Offline KI can do that! Check '/autolink'. It's a bad hack of course, but you don't have to click anything to end up in your age ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:32 am

diafero wrote:
and the fact that we can launch the engine directly into the Age I'm testing makes it so much nicer!
Shameless plug: Offline KI can do that! Check '/autolink'. It's a bad hack of course, but you don't have to click anything to end up in your age ;-)

I set up a book stand with two Barho stones right in front of the link in point in Relto, one Stone for the Normal link in point,
and the other one for what I call the construction link in point, this way Im right where I need to be to inspect my work with out wondering around.

I put them in front of the imager so I can leave my self some notes, I works out wonderfully
and easy enough to do just add it as a .prp file or a Relto page .prp file and with the pythons listed here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6197
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Christian Walther » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:03 pm

I just took a look at the age on Deep Island – very cool!

I noticed something that is also apparent in the comparison between Sirius’ and janaba’s screenshots: The forced 16:9 aspect ratio also appears to distort the text, so that all characters fit into their control bounds, while on standard aspect ratios (5:4 for me, 4:3 for janaba), characters with descenders in the navigation list are clipped and therefore disappear entirely. (This is a bug that can still be seen in some circumstances in MOULa and was only fixed as a side effect of the introduction of text shadows.) I wonder why the text is clipped here though when it isn’t in the original KI.
Christian Walther

Postby Sirius » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:41 pm

That would be because the GUI is rendered slightly smaller than the KI's original. My own version uses forced 16/9 (as seen in my screenshots), but then I remembered just before releasing that I had to put it back to 4/3 since that's the aspect ratio almost everyone uses for CC. Then, I noticed because of the 4/3 ratio, you could no longer click outside the interface to be able to look around (very annoying in first person), so I scaled it down. Since Uru sucks at rendering text, characters with descenders no longer display fine, since they no longer have enough vertical space to be rendered :|
I'll see about fixing it, assuming I don't forget with the todo list you guys gave me :lol:

(BTW, while CC allows you to use 5/4 aspect ratios, it still renders in 4/3, or at least in the poor approximation it uses. Yuck.)
Sirius

Postby Acorn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:01 pm

thanks, Sirius - this was great fun! I just had a play on the UAM offline version. :D
Acorn

PreviousNext

Return to Building