Texturing and Lightmaps in Korman (And other small things)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Texturing and Lightmaps in Korman (And other small things)

Postby cskid13 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:15 am

I'm playing around with Korman, but I haven't been able to get the texturing right. I'm trying to texture two islands (which, of course, do not unwrap in any sane sort of way) using two different dirt texture layers and a lightmap layer. First of all, my lightmap isn't showing up correctly, and is leaving the age mostly light with a tiny bit of shadow here and there. Second of all, when I add the other two texture layers, only one seems to be showing up, and is still being stretched as if it wasn't UV-mapped.

I will say that I didn't know much about lightmapping and texturing in the first place, so I am mostly trying to go off the PyPRP tutorials.

Next, my footstep region isn't making any noise, even though it is encompassing the entire age.

Finally, how would I make a swimming region in Korman? The "Basic Water" modifier only seems to effect how the water looks, but not how it acts.

Maybe Korman isn't the best plugin to learn age creation with, but I'll do my best.
cskid13

Re: Texturing and Lightmaps in Korman (And other small thing

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 am

cskid13 wrote:Next, my footstep region isn't making any noise, even though it is encompassing the entire age
Make sure the region's bound types are set to "convex hull" or "bounding box". If you use "triangle mesh", the region will only work when the avatar touches the edges.

cskid13 wrote:Finally, how would I make a swimming region in Korman? The "Basic Water" modifier only seems to effect how the water looks, but not how it acts.
Indeed, "Basic Water" only creates the visuals. I think SwimRegions aren't supported yet (at least I can't find it anywhere).

cskid13 wrote:Second of all, when I add the other two texture layers, only one seems to be showing up, and is still being stretched as if it wasn't UV-mapped.
Hmm, make sure you use only "Multiply", "Subtract" or "Add" as blending option for the second texture - "Mix" or anything else will only show one texture, IIRC. As for UV mapping, make sure the texture mapping is set to "UV" and not "Generated". Also, using "GLSL" as shading instead of "multitexture" in the panel that pops up when pressing "N" could help, since it will be closer to what you'll see in-game.
That's all I can think of, I'm not sure if it will solve your issues.

As for lighting, I could get neither lightmaps nor vertex shading to work. I'm probably missing a simple step, but didn't have much time to experiment with it lately :P
Sirius

Postby cskid13 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 am

I changed my UV Map method to use Smart Unwrap, and that helped. I also changed the texture mixing, and everything is a lot better. The footstep region still isn't working, though. It doesn't need "plasma object" checked, does it?
cskid13

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 pm

The footstep region does need to be a Plasma object.
Most objects should have this checked, BTW. The only exceptions I could find are objects which are used to create your final meshes (when using boolean modifiers, for instance), lights that are used to bake lightmaps but shouldn't end up in Uru, or backup meshes you don't want to delete but are not really useful.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 am

That thing is actually very useful, when you need to do advanced modelling you often have extra objects like that which you need to keep.
Back with PyPRP I had to use some random trick, I can't remember.. I think I assigned the items to some random page number that was not in the Book.. It didn't stop the export, but the items were not included. Not sure anymore, I used that for years and now I can't remember. :?
Aloys

Postby dendwaler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:20 am

Yes, you remembered well!
Assign a pagenumber which is not defined in the Book and it will not appear in the game but remains nicely stored in blender.
I use it all the time because i always have lots of objects in construction that are not yet uv mapped and textured.
I always use page number 100 for them.
To quickly change multiple objects from pagenumber , select all those objects .
Then select an object which is on the wished page as " Active" in your selection.
Press while being in the 3 d window " ctrl c" to open the copy attributes window.
Choose properties from the pull down menu.
And from properties the page_num property.
the whole selection now has the desired page number.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Aloys » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:57 am

Aaaah, right! I knew it was something like that. :)
I do remember about the 'copy attributes' tip, when I was working on Ahra Pahts, that Age was so gigantic I had to use it hundred of times.. :oops:
Aloys

Return to Building