Age in Progress - Cohnator's Age II

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Age in Progress - Cohnator's Age II

Postby cskid13 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:10 pm

My current project is a barren island age. This is mainly a test age, since I haven't done any puzzles or animations before. There is still plenty of work to be done, but I decided I'd post some updates, especially since this is my first (albeit badly) textured, real age.

Current features:
-Day/Night Cycle (I love these!)
-Button-activated bridge to a smaller island.

I am working in Blender with Korman.

Pictures: Show Spoiler

Sorry, I didn't do any KI images, just screenshots. Also, I ran into the 3 attachment limit. Let me know what you think!
Last edited by cskid13 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cskid13

Re: Age in Progress - Cohnator's Age II

Postby cskid13 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:12 pm

More Pictures: Show Spoiler
cskid13

Postby Sirius » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:09 pm

It's a bit rough around the edges, but for a first Age, it's a good start ! Blender is hard to learn at the beginning anyway. Korman does make a lot of thing simpler than they were in PyPRP though ;)

Personally I never use the KI for screenshots... It always creates small and ugly pictures.
As for attachments, I'd recommend using an external website for hosting images, this will allow you to store and display more pictures than here. For instance, Imgur and Photobucket are free (although there are other ones, of course). Then you just link the image with the [img] tag.
Sirius

Postby Tweek » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:44 am

I'd recommend imgur over photobucket any day (personal preference though, I hate photobucket).

You could probably subsurf those meshes to make them less "square" and give them some more natural shapes.

Good start though, keep at it and you'll get better. My first Age looked like an empty bra and was textured horribly >.<
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Doobes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:42 am

Tweek wrote:My first Age looked like an empty bra and was textured horribly >.<

Heh. Mine looked like a brown, featureless, spiky mess...something out of a nightmare, really. :P

As Tweek said though, keep at it. Play around with all of Blender's options and see what you can create and backup files often. Save a new file for each major change so you can go back if you don't like things later.

Seriously...there's like 40 different saves of the GoMe Pub alone on my hard drive. ;)

As with any skill, practice makes (almost) perfect. A very good start though!
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Sirius » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:02 am

Yeah, my first Age was just a bunch of cylinders and cubes on top of each others too... :lol:

For the terrain, instead of applying a subsurf modifier, which doesn't always produce good results, you could try sculpt mode with dynamic topology enabled. Deledrius recommended it a while ago, and I've been playing with it the past few days. Looks good with a bit of practice.

About storing pictures, Photobucket would be nice if it didn't have two major drawbacks:
- image/album description is never displayed fine
- it's ss...ll...oo...ooo...www...
Imgur seems a bit better.

And yeah, remember to backup often, and save regularly. Personally I don't need a lot of backup files: I keep all my "backup meshes" on a different scene, and make sure I have a version of the Blender file stored on the cloud (in case of hard drive disk failure. Blender files are the only thing you can't redownload or reinstall).
Sirius

Postby cskid13 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks for all the tips! I'll get to work on finishing the age, especially the puzzle part.
cskid13

Return to Building