Blender - Back to VERY Basics

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Blender - Back to VERY Basics

Postby Ehren » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:44 pm

I wanted to try designing an age in Blender again. It's been a very long time since I last tried and failed to even figure out how to do much with Blender's interface. I really need to start from the VERY beginning again, but most, if not all, of the stuff here seems to be for people who already know to some extent what they are doing with age creating.

I know I should probably be able to find this stuff on my own, but there is so much that's needed and I feel so far behind that I just get instantly frustrated trying to even think what to do. I know it will be work to figure out how to actually model/texture ages, but I don't want the work of searching on my own (and failing) to even find what to use in the first place.

I guess I need a guide for beginners on what's needed and how to use Blender for ages. I remember there was one, but even if I found it again, I don't know if its info would be for out of date tools or if it's always relevant. What's the best way to start nowadays?

I don't even know if PyPrp would be considered the best thing to start with or not at this point. I seem to recall there being other tools now...
Ehren

Re: Blender - Back to VERY Basics

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Personally I learned from the Noob to Pro tutorials, and I think they are great. It doesn't deal in making Ages, but is a good start to review Blender's controls and UI.
It a long read, but if you want to go back to the basics, it's the best place IMHO.

As for the new tool available, you will want Korman. It works on newest versions of Blender (which is good since the 2.49 interface is really too clunky). Overall it's easier to use than the old PyPRP, and has most of its features.

As for tutorials on how to build Ages, here are some tutorials to setup an Age in Korman, and here are the old PyPRP tutorials. Most of the PyPRP tutorials are outdated (especially when it comes to interactions or clickables), but I recall there were some about texturing which might still be useful.

Hope this can be useful to you !
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:18 pm

It's been a while since I followed a basic Blender tutorial, but I remember the Noob To Pro ones that Sirius suggests. That's what I followed first and they got me started decently..
There's a lot of content because there is a lot to cover when you are starting from scratch. But the nice thing is that it is in text form (as oppposed to video) so you can go at your own pace and skip sections if you want.
Aloys

Postby Ehren » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Oh wow, Blender 2.74 does look pretty different. If the Noob to Pro tutorials have been around for awhile, would they still help for this new Blender version's GUI?
Ehren

Postby Jaruku` » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Since you talked about getting to the basics, that is probably what you should do. 2.49b is much easier than 2.74 and yes, you would be using Pyprp and then once you learn the system, you could upgrade to Korman and 2.74 in time. The most important things to learn are the shortcut keys or hotkeys. If this is what you'd like to do, then I can provide some easier tutorials just to get you started in the building process. Once you begin to understand the CAD system, the easier it becomes.
Jaruku`

Postby Sirius » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Ehren wrote:If the Noob to Pro tutorials have been around for awhile, would they still help for this new Blender version's GUI?
Yup, I checked the other day, and it seems most of them (if not all) have been upgraded to the new interface.

Jakuru wrote:2.49b is much easier than 2.74 and yes, you would be using Pyprp and then once you learn the system, you could upgrade to Korman and 2.74 in time
Hmmm, I strongly disagree: Blender 2.7x is MUCH easier than 2.49. The layout makes much more sense, tools you always use in the 3D view are no longer lost for no reason in other panels (smooth, spin, etc), ... and overall it's less ugly. Korman is also much easier to use than PyPRP, so why not start using it directly ? My personal preferences influence a lot my judgment of course, but I don't see any good reason to use the 2.49 version anymore (except for some rare features Korman doesn't have yet but PyPRP has).

Jakuru wrote:The most important things to learn are the shortcut keys or hotkeys.
That I definitely agree with. Shortcuts are the same for every Blender version, they are painful to learn, but make you work oh-so-much faster (oh, and they are easier to learn on 2.7x too, since you just have to type Space→<name of command> to have the hotkey displayed).
Sirius

Postby Dulcamara » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:10 am

You're probably right Sirius, but I hold on to the Version 2.49.
Probably because I'm getting old, and i do not like changes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also, I'm still working on XP and so Korman is still out of reach for me.
Dulcamara

Postby dendwaler » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:01 am

Don't be Dull ! Camara !

You are one of the youngsters here!

Only your operating system is getting a bit outdated.
I advise you to switch as soon as possible, all will run smoother on W10 by now and more/most important

Safety!
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Ehren » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 am

dendwaler wrote:Only your operating system is getting a bit outdated.
I advise you to switch as soon as possible, all will run smoother on W10 by now and more/most important

Safety!

I have Windows 7.

Does anyone even remember Windows 8 and Windows 9 happening? Yikes, I don't, at least not at this point...

Thanks for the help guys. I actually have a simple-design age idea, so if I can get to the point of having some skills, even a texture-less, basic model of the age would be a big step and mean a lot to me.
Ehren

Postby dendwaler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:08 am

I have posted this a zillion times before , but this Blender course is the very very best.

http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Next

Return to Building