The Memorial Age

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

The Memorial Age

Postby Doobes » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 am

Given the recent passing of Deirdre Karris, the revelation of Zardoz's passing, and personally knowing a few explorers who have passed away, I've decided to resume work on Sheten Reovtee, aka the "memorial Age".

Show Spoiler

This Age is based on original designs by Rhee and is intended to be an expansion of the idea behind the memorial near the Kahlo Pub in Ae'gura. Not only will it have a list of names like the Ae'gura memorial (which will hopefully be easy for shard admins to update too), but as time goes on, I'd like to include journals that contain stories, reflections, and even some pictures from explorers that knew those that have gone.

As always, it's a work in progress, so comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. You can see how the Age has progressed by visiting the gallery:

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/DoobesURU/library/Sheten%20Reovtee%20-%20Memorial%20Age?sort=3&page=1

More to come!
Last edited by Doobes on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Re: Sheten Reovtee - The Memorial Age

Postby janaba » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 am

This is very special, Doobes, this age has progressed immensely and is incredibly beautiful and sublime, a wonderful and magical ambience and atmosphere to immerse and loose oneself in deep contemplation and reflection ... and I so love all those lovely guiding lights ... Thanks for sharing, Doobes ... :)
janaba

Postby Dulcamara » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:11 am

It is a very nice idea Doobes and the age looks really wonderful

Thanks for charing
Dulcamara

Postby C.J.Herkeless » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:51 am

A very worthy effort, Doobes. And its looking wonderful.
C.J.Herkeless

Postby Ehren » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Doobes wrote:As always, it's a work in progress, so comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A single giant tree. The Great Tree is a big symbol for Uru and it would be a good kind of symbol to have for a memorial age, right?

Also, I just got the idea of this big tree having lots of journey hand symbols carved into various spots and heights of the tall trunk (in slightly varying sizes and some left hands too). It would be a general symbol of the many explorers who linked through the ages. The trunk itself could be lit up from various lanterns hanging from the big branches of the tree.

Sorry, that's getting pretty specific now, but it's making a pretty image in my head. I think it's worth at least considering this idea or any variant of it...

But I'm curious, what do you think of the idea of having a big "Great Tree" in the memorial age?
Ehren

Postby Sirius » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:02 am

Wow, looks real nice, Doobes ! Congrats ! :D

As for suggestions... Well, I'd only suggest a bit more vegetation on the islands, and a few banners to occupy the space on some empty walls.

Ehren wrote:
Doobes wrote:As always, it's a work in progress, so comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A single giant tree. The Great Tree is a big symbol for Uru and it would be a good kind of symbol to have for a memorial age, right?
Sounds like a very good idea IMHO.
Sirius

Postby Doobes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 am

I'm loving the suggestions so far. Actually, a tree IS planned on one of the islands outside the temple. My modeling skills on those are just not as strong, so I'm kinda saving it for last. ;)

The walls and things in the temple itself will be a bit more fleshed out as time goes on. Again, I'm going for tasteful, yet not TOO elaborate (ie not like the party atmosphere of the Pub). The windows are probably the first on my to-do list. They'll still remain open, but they need to be framed a bit better, IMHO.

In any case, keep the suggestions coming! More will be revealed soon. :)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby KathAveara » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:25 am

Question: What's the name of the Age supposed to mean?
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Postby Tweek » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:32 am

Looks good Doobes. Just a couple of suggestions, I'd reduce the star count on the skydome a bit.. the sheer amount of stars makes the sky a bit too busy and actually seems to make the skydome somewhat claustrophobic looking. I'd also mix up your textures a bit, there is a lot of the same grey texture everywhere might be worth breaking it up.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby janaba » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:59 am

I'd not necessarily agree with the textures, I like them, there are so many beautiful ones only in the picture above already, and there are more beautiful ones in the gallery too, and as you said, Doobes, this is conveying a more tasteful style and ambience for its intended purpose, but I'd agree on the star count, yes, it will look more realistic with much less stars and more like looking into deep outer space, into infinity even, and your beautiful lamps will come a bit more to the fore, and maybe the lovely guiding lights too ... :P
janaba

Next

Return to Building