How to solve this?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

How to solve this?

Postby dendwaler » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:42 am

During building i encountered the next problem.
If you make a "simple climbable ladder region" and you place a floor with a hatch above it.
The avatar will always climb through the hatch even when it is closed.

This is very frustrating because when you have a closed floor 10 blender units above that same region the avatar will still fall through the floor just above this spot.

Here is a drawing in Blender as example.
You will fall through both floors exactly above this region if you walk on the upper floor2.
All bounds are set.

How can we solve this? :o

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: How to solve this?

Postby Sirius » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:37 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are doing with those two floors - is one the normal floor with a hole for the ladder shaft, and the other the moveable hatch ?
And by "fall through", do you mean just climbing down (or up) through the closed hatch, or actually falling as if the hatch didn't exist ?

If the issue is "climbing through closed hatch", there are a two things you must remember, which might be related to your issue:
- when on a ladder, the avatar doesn't react to collisions. He can trigger regions, but he will climb straight through colliders such as hatches (but there are workarounds, like Er'cana's water tank ladders which have hatches on top of them - these rely on more complicated PRP logic though.)
- "climbable" regions are just a PyPRP shortcut and are meaningless to Uru. What is does, is tell PyPRP to create the two standard "climbing" regions as new objects. For instance, in the next picture, the left picture is what you create in Blender. The right one is what PyPRP would give to Uru.
Show Spoiler

Those two regions may be quite big (I don't remember how much), which means the avatar might still try to climb on the ladder if he is too close to the ladder region. In which case you'd better create those two regions by hand, and make them smaller (even small regions should work).
Oh, and obviously, using a single region means you can't animate it or disable it with AlcScript, so watch out.

Not sure if that's what you wanted, but I hope that could help regardless.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 am

Thx for the explanation sirius , i give the last example a try and will let you know the results.

About the drawing,
This was not the real situation only something simular to test its behavior.
If you have a building with a cellar , and the ladder is in the cellar, then you will fall through the floors above it.
In a skyscraper you will fall from the upper floor in the sky ,right down into the cellar passing all floors of every stage.
So the hight of the ladderregion is not as in the drawing but endless high instead. Only the animation area is as high as the ladder.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:32 am

Ok, understood. Wow, that's weird indeed. I have no idea what would cause this, I'll give it a try sometime, see if I can figure out what's wrong.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:49 am

Suppose i will make a ladder like you suggest , using an enter and exit region to and from the climbable region.

When there is a hatch (as i have in my case) i can simply enable or disable the enter region using a bool when the hatch is closed.
This seems not too difficult.
But the example in the wiki is for 3Dmax and i use Blender.

What is the animation command for the avatar to make the climb animation along the region .
It must be something like " doorbuttontouch" , but there is nothing on the avatar animation list.

I can't find the corresponding command.

Hmm, may be i can also enable and disable the complete " climbable region" using a bool and leave the black hole above the region for where it is during the climbing.

dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:57 am

The page related to creating ladders using two regions is this one (it's different from using animation commands like a button press: animation commands are for a single, non controllable anim. Climbing is a much more complex process for the engine, which is why there is a special "type: climbing" modifier for it).

As for disabling or enabling the ladder with the hatch, you can either use some AlcScript to disable physics for both "climbing" regions (I don't know the code, though), or simply animate the region to move behind a wall so that the avatar won't be able to touch it. Either way, don't try to animate or use AlcScript on a "climbable" region, as mentioned that won't work.
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:16 am

Ah, thank you,that was the page i was looking for but could not find , in the past i have seen it.
..and you are right i cant move the climbable with animation nor can i use a bool .
I just learned it the hard way with trial and only errors.
But i understand it now, the climbable region is not a single object but are in fact 3 objects merged.
well i start fresh again with the new information on the forgotten page.
Thx again.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Yes this way with separated regions for up and down was in my case a far better solution, besides that it gave me more control on when it can be used and when not. :D
I mean now you have to open the hatch first before you can go down.

dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:31 pm

:D Glad to hear it !
Oh, and just in case: this is the old list of PyPRP tutorials. It's a bit hard to find and contains valuable informations, so I'd advise bookmarking it :P
Sirius

Return to Building