D'ni in Unreal! :D

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: D'ni in Unreal! :D

Postby Korovev » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:01 am

With Darka there’s the same old problem: as far as I know, Cyan has never granted a FCAL for projects not made with Plasma. Even if they did make an exception for Darka, you’d have more freedom with Mirrors, which you could still place in the D’niverse, just outside any already-known places. See e.g. Roonsehv: it’s in the D’niverse, but since it’s a different location and it’s free, Cyan was fine with it. I’d say go with Mirrors :) .
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Yali » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks guys... Its a tough choice. Honestly, the thought of making a new Myst experience in a modern engine makes my fanboy self squee since there hasn't been a proper Myst game in 10 years. I'm quite excited about expanding the D'niverse because I love the lore and the use of books to travel, allowing any environment you can think of to be explored.

With Mirrors I would have to rework a lot of the story and lore to accomodate a smaller/non-sandbox game. Personally the characters in Mirrors are some of my favorites and the ones I'm drawn to the most. The concept for Darka is intended to be a spinoff game of the D'niverse. The characters I'm also really warming up to. I think that's what makes for good story/immersion is the personalities of characters you're dealing with in the game.

Here... I'll give a brief synopsis of both and see which you guys like better:

SPOILERS BELOW

Mirrors
Show Spoiler

Darka
Show Spoiler

Edit: Version 1.3 is up! :D
Last edited by Yali on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Yali

Postby janaba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:18 am

Hi, Yali, I just see you here on these forums ... /wave ... :D

I have just posted this on the MOUL forums, and I'm going to cross-post and quote what I've said over there right here below ... :)

YW, Yali ... This now is less than half the size, awesome ... I suppose it has to do with considerably decreasing the luminosity, because other than that you have rearranged some things, there's new stuff to admire and a message from a very familiar and well-known personality ... :P

It is much darker, but not too dark, except from a few perspectives and in a few places, like the area around the door, which you almost cannot see anymore, only when you find special angles etc. ... When reading the message I couldn't get back anymore, I've clicked everywhere, tried everything like right mouse, jumping, Esc. and almost all keys on my keybord lol, so I had to force quit with Alt+F4 and then go back in for a further exploration ... However, great job again, thanks Yali ... :)
janaba

Postby Yali » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:39 am

Yup just replied. The camera view isn't exitable yet. I'm still trying to figure that out. Good to hear you like the changes! I'm really proud of that red firemarble artwork on the wall thus far. As for Dr. Watson, due to RAWA's post on the MOUL forums that was linked above, unless Cyan soon allows for "D'ni fiction" which would make things much easier, I'm going to have to substitute Watson out in favor of another character. I wrote a hell of a lot in my previous post but its serious spoilers so be warned. I will also give a more detailed description of Mirrors, however that will have to be reworked since I had always planned it as an open world game so I'll probably write more on it later today when I'm not working.

Thanks again guys! :D
Yali

Postby Korovev » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:56 am

Dr. Marius could be a member of the D’ni Research Association :) .
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby janaba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:55 am

This is an awesome documentation of an amazing age development and creation by an exceptionally great age creator team, and thus a wonderful example to go by resp. to serve as inspiration ... Great pointer, Korovev ... :P
janaba

Postby Ainia » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm

@Yali, I gather this is a Windows only release, right?
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Yali » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm

I know UE4 supports Mac but I'm not sure how to export it to Mac. It may be more complicated than you'd think.
Yali

Postby Yali » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:40 pm

I've gone back and really fleshed out my Darka concept in my earlier post this afternoon. I think I'm starting to really love it thus far. Its about as defined as Mirrors was last year. I'm guessing if I stay within RAWA's bounds I think it could be doable as a story. Sorry if this all seems like a mad man's long ramblings but I'm really fascinated by the D'ni mythology and the prospect of its conceptual/literary expansion. I'm starting to really get an idea of the characters and this is informing my design decisions in the room I've built along with plans for the next few areas. From a purely conceptual standpoint, do you guys have any thoughts?

I'll probably flesh out Mirrors a bit later but right now I'm really enjoying playing in this universe I've created. I may need to step back from it for a day to think it through.

So yeah, opinions, thoughts? I feel like I should start another thread. :lol: Moreover, I'd like to recruit any Myst fans who like the synopsis I've rambled written and would be keen to be part of a team to make it into the ultimate Myst fan game. Any takers? :D

Edit: Version 1.4 now out!
Yali

Postby janaba » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 am

Yali, you've changed the message and the names, but maybe you were in a hurry or just so excited about the new message that you forgot to add the 'right click', 'Esc' or whatever 'release' from that message ... :P
janaba

PreviousNext

Return to Building