Korman: wanted features

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Korman: wanted features

Postby J'Kla » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 pm

I am not saying it is not the answer all I am saying is I do not remember either switching it on on the ones that worked or switching it off on the ones that did not.

<shrug> Either way it is working now as to the floor holes I added an additional invisible plane with a collision mesh and the floor is solid.

So that problem is solved as well.

Now I need to go through all of the text and make the apostrophes visible.

It seems this work is never done. ;)

Oh! Again thanks for the help.

[edit]
Just when I thought it was sorted.

Book 16 and only book 16 MOUL click to open perfect

PotS click to open it hangs for a few seconds and then a Black screen Crash to desktop no message. :?

Book 16 is shorter than book 1 review of textures seems to be OK (they work fine in MOUL) I have added the NewerYarbil.log (I modified the name did not know if that was necessary)

Any help would be nice but as before there is no rush I can continue working with MOUL version and can be busy editing the other journals.
[/edit]
Attachments
NewerYarbil_export.log
(48.19 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 am

J'Kla wrote:Now I need to go through all of the text and make the apostrophes visible.

Make sure they're proper, simple apostrophes (') and not "smart" or "curly" apostrophes. If you're editing your journals in something like MS Word beforehand, it may be converting them to look nicer, but they aren't supported by the older text-handling.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:12 am

Yep sorted.

But I am still getting this weird crash with Journal 16.

Where it exports to MOUL but not PotS.

Look back in the thread to see NewerYarbil_export.log

I looked at the export log myself it posts a message about not supporting characters the problem is it does not say what those characters are. :(

When I export I get a pop up that says the following.

Translation "English": Contents contains characters that cannot be used in this version of Plasma.

[edit]
OK drastic measures I did a version where I hacked out all the text bar the first two paragraphs and it worked for PotS no crash no error message but no clue as to what the forbidden character is. :?
[/edit]
Attachments
Journal16.txt
This is the Journal file that won't post to PotS
(24.34 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:11 am

As Deledrius mentioned, the character ` is illegal and is preventing that journal from exporting. Unfortunately, Korman cannot detect which character(s) is/are illegal, only that there is something naughty.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:23 am

(Not related to JKla's question)

I did a bit of experimenting with node trees today, and have some feedback.

• It would be useful to somehow display which node output/input is mandatory, and which are optional.
  • It might also be useful to be able to directly link a conditional (ex: detector region) to a message (ex: animation message), without having to create responder and responder state nodes (mostly to make the node tree a bit more readable).
  • In the animation modifier, markers are POSE markers, which means they are only available on animated armatures. Is that normal ?

I also haven't totally figured out how to handle multiple animations on a single object (like how to play one animation on link in), but I didn't look very deeply into this so might have missed something.
Sirius

Postby J'Kla » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:18 pm

I am going to hit this with some brute force delete all of the usual text characters and see what I am left with then selectively delete till it works.

Results to follow ;)
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:01 pm

J'Kla wrote:I am going to hit this with some brute force delete all of the usual text characters and see what I am left with then selectively delete till it works.

Results to follow ;)

Due to the version of Python used by Uru in its original release, as I understand it you're limited to the characters specified in CP-1252. Hopefully that will help you narrow it down.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:45 pm

No luck the only thing that looked flaky was a double speech marked quote but I got the error with that removed as well.

The only other stuff there were a couple of semi colons ; a minus - and a couple of question marks but they all appear in other text files.

I will look up that CP-1252 I am wondering if it is some hidden non printing character that has sneaked in?

[edit]
OK another approach

I know it works with the first two paragraphs so I will strip it back to that two paragraph version and add one paragraph at a time till it fails.
[/edit]

[edit2]
Here is the sort of stuff that drives my brain to mince (ground beef).

I cut the text from Journal 16 and dumped it into a copy of ConTEXT (an open source text editor) I then cut and pasted it into my blender file a chunk at a time exporting after each paste each time I went to my Complete Chronicles and tested.

It worked all of the way through there was a point where there were some double speech marks they just failed to show so I replaced them with the double straight apostrophes.

At the end there was a block of something non printable or at least invisible in ConTEXT so I left that.

So enough said the problem is solved and that is how I did it.

I still do not know what was causing the issue enough said that I have a fix. :)
[/edit2]
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:10 am

Wish List Items Journals a revisit with edits, and note this is a wish list discussion post and I know some of this may have been addressed I just may need pointers.

I hope the edits clarify that I am looking at more options than we have at present and I know this does look like a long list but the alternative is 22 individual posts and I hope it can be seen that these are all related.

I also accept that some of these have no chance of happening before my demise but hey it is a wish list.

J'Kla wrote:Some automated tools for adding and editing in game journals.

Here I am talking deep automation Hoikas has done some sterling work allowing us to have journals you edit as text documents in the age and facilities to add images and change the aspect ratio of the journal document here I am considering radio type buttons that would allow for certain choices I will try and itemise here.

J'Kla wrote:I would also like this to be node based (sorry to keep going on about nodes but I like the logic they present)

I take on board a node method may not be possible

J'Kla wrote:A back cover (one that shows when you turn the last page),

At present when you get to the last page it shows the last double page of the text what I would like to see is when you turn the last page you see the back cover not unlike you see the front cover at present.

J'Kla wrote:A single page option (like the ones on the desk in the Teledhan upper office), [edit]an option of making this flip able to show an obverse side. [/edit]

I mention documents like the ones on the upper office in Teledhan it would probably be best if all were flip able even if what it showed was blank or even make it semi transparent and it shows the face side reversed on the obverse and possibly top bottom flip as well as left right

J'Kla wrote:Internal pages the same size as the cover (at present the pages come out slightly smaller as in a hard back book and you can see the cover poking out as a border) so it can be more like a pamphlet or paperback book,

Please see the note I have expanded to clarify

J'Kla wrote:Sticky notes (with various colors not just yellow),

I would envision these as single sided e.g. they would not flip the click action would be in effect taking a closer look.

J'Kla wrote:An object that looks like a cell phone or tablet with a swipe page turning option,

Way down the road. With an option to look at the obverse of the tablet or cell phone and possibly with a cell phone in a protective case

J'Kla wrote:Scrolls as an alternative to books of pamphlets,

See cell phones or tablets

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of editing journal text inside blender. I am looking into idiot proofing this the wiki does not actually tell you how to do it.

OK. Got this figured out thanks for the help guys

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of embedding a static image into text I am looking into idiot proofing this the wiki entry I like the direct input from an external file I understand using the name held in the library modifier but until I work out how to attach and edit the text inside Blender/Korman where and how to use the name considering it took me three weeks to figure out how to do it the old way at a time when I had a chunk of spare time.

I am just getting to this now that I have the previous entry figured out. It was not possible to even consider adding images to documents where I was unable
(note the I in "I was unable") to even get text to display.

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of making said images clickable with a choice of actions like linking or changing some variable or creating a Ki Message or Ki Photo or adding clothing.

Here the emphasis is on simplification like a check box to make it clickable a radio button for choice of actions and a text box to select destination. Maybe other options like having a door opener clickable switch embedded into a Book or Journal.

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of adding animated images with the same options as static images,

Animated images are down the road but still on the wish list.

J'Kla wrote:A way of making fold out pages,

At present on a book you have turned corners to indicate turn forward or back a page here I am thinking those tabs on the inner edge of the page so that they give the option of a fold out plate where you could add a bigger image of say a map or a detailed diagram. This could be expanded to fold out left right or both.

J'Kla wrote:A method of selecting page background color,

Maybe radio type buttons or if we have a node type solution a node for page color.

J'Kla wrote:A switchable turned corner (at present the default journal has a turned up corner of yellowed paper lets make it match the color of the paper chosen if different to the standard)

I produced a pamphlet/booklet document in another project using Korman, here the turned corner did not match so I had to hack the corner image to make it look right it it was a switchable option it could be disabled if it did not match for whatever reason. For example my following page was often a full page image and the corner view just did not match it looked better without the turned corners.

J'Kla wrote:A method of selecting lined or plain paper,

At present two options unlined book or a pad of lined paper just considering a lined book or an unlined pad like an art sketch book.

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of changing font typeface,

At present you can select the type face in the text document just considering some sort of drop box to make it easier for the Noob.

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of changing font size,

See type face notes

J'Kla wrote:A simple way of changing font color,

See type face Notes

NOW for a couple of additional things

Torn or burnt edge paper option (probably more applicable to single page)

Automatic page numbering (this may not seem to be a needed thing when you consider things like the Kings books in A'gura but if you look at my Walker books when they become available the current Word version comes to 166 pages and that is in a 10 point font on A4 paper).

A way of making journals open at the page last visited.
Consider the previous comment when you are reading a long document entry this could be something like a bookmark. We know this is vaguely possible because if you use your books to use the journey cloth to enter your Hood age if you go back next time it remembers this page option and if you used that and you offer your Hood book to allow a new member to join your hood they see that page and not the normal linking plate page.

A three fold flyer type option with face and obverse.

Feel free to have dig or kick my arse over any of this but please do not just dismiss it en-mass I have been considering this for years it is all related to the Walker project started circa 2004 and that date is subject to me remembering it correctly.

[edit]
Afterthought in game editable journals. Books that you can open and make your own notes in, even if these notes are visible only to you as a player and you cannot share them with others. This is something I would like to carry with me in game like making notes in a KI but more notebook like in its inception
[/edit]
Last edited by J'Kla on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:27 am

This is not a request for help it is a suggestion for Korman (One that is not Journal related)

How about an Export option that produces the encrypted format ready for a dirtsand shard age server.

I do not know if this is even a possibility.

I have my own dirtsand shard and know that you need some sort of different format if you want the shard to serve the age as apposed to using -LocalData in the calling shortcut and dropping the data in the local .dat folder.

I was just wondering if this could be added to a Korman implementation and it may be a non starter or even just plain too complex to consider but if it is not out there it cannot be discussed.

I know there is some sort of option of doing this manually that I have yet to learn I was just kicking around the idea that it could be an option for Korman x.xx at some point down the road.

BTW "Package Age" does not address this, that as far as I know is for submitting stuff to a Deep Island shard type shard for PotS export or in the case of a MOUL export for making a zip for someone else to add to their own .dat folder so they can access the age using a dirtsand shard and the -LocalData option I am open to reeducation here.
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Building