The Cathedral Released!

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: The Cathedral Released!

Postby Ainia » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 pm

I noticed the same thing while playing the offline version and assumed I accidentally had done something "right". :) I was able to get inside the fountain and read through the journal there right away upon entering the room at the beginning of things.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby dendwaler » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:30 pm

I noticed the same thing while playing the offline version

Thank you for reporting.
Until now , i don't know what happened, may be after a new export it will be ok.
There are some more issues , i will upload a new version when i solved those.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Ehren » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 pm

dendwaler wrote:Ehren,
concerning the footstep sound you are right!
But changing it is not as easy as it appears to be.

Okay, well I was just referring to the idea of replacing the sound effects with Cyan's stone sound effects. But if you are trying to introduce completely new walking/running/jumping sound effects I can see why that's a LOT harder. The footstep sounds are all part of a global file GlobalAvatars_District_Audio.prp which makes it a difficult system for using new sounds.

But it sounds like your idea is to use Python to temporarily replace the sand sound files with your cathedral stone sound files. And THEN you need to make sure it can properly replace it with sand sounds again once the player links out... so that's actually a pretty ambitious project.

Also, I know it's possible to tie certain progress to the players themselves (even for online) if you use player chronicles, which is the system Cyan uses to keep track of each player's cloth progress among other things. I know the fan-age combo of DRA Office/Adrael actually uses sub-chronicals to keep track of a few things. But I have no idea what the "etiquette" is for that sort of thing since it is technically a node that is always attached to the player.

I still haven't made it very far in the age yet, but the doors that open seem to close awfully fast. It would probably be ideal if they stayed open until they detected the player leaving the region that opens them (like the Gahreesen doors do). But if that's a complete programming nightmare then I'd recommend at least having them stay open a bit longer.
Ehren

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:54 am

Ehren wrote:Okay, well I was just referring to the idea of replacing the sound effects with Cyan's stone sound effects. But if you are trying to introduce completely new walking/running/jumping sound effects I can see why that's a LOT harder. The footstep sounds are all part of a global file GlobalAvatars_District_Audio.prp which makes it a difficult system for using new sounds.
Actually, we already have a working PRP for these sound effects.
The issue is that we couldn't yet find the correct AlcScript to get PyPRP to export the region using this new type of sound (and then it got on the back-burner because it was not top-priority compared to getting the other puzzles to work).

That said, if you don't mind a bit of PRP hacking, you can get the new sound effects quite easily... It's just not practical for Dendwaler as re-exporting the Age would revert the modification.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/57fi6ye5xmx7v ... _2.7z?dl=1
Uncompress the zip, put these files into your Uru folder, and open dat/Cathedral_District_mainRoom.prp. Look for ResponderModifier/FootStepRgn.001_FootSnd. Right-click, "Edit PRC". Change "Surface" to 1. Click "Save PRC", then "Save". Open Cathedral.sum, remove the entry for the mainRoom file. Save. Link to the Age. Ta-daa.

Ehren wrote:But it sounds like your idea is to use Python to temporarily replace the sand sound files with your cathedral stone sound files. And THEN you need to make sure it can properly replace it with sand sounds again once the player links out... so that's actually a pretty ambitious project.
Using Python to change sound files is quite the overkill, but I considered it at some point, since modifying GlobalAvatars_District_Audio is quite annoying.
But another reason is that Cyan, in their Great Wisdom (sarcasm, understand "very poor coding"), decided to limit the number of footstep type to something like 19. And most of these "slots" are already taken by Cyan, so there are only two or three available remaining for fan-Ages.
So swapping sound files on the fly would be the solution if more Ages wanted their own footstep sound effects, but that would be really annoying to setup :P
Sirius

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:55 pm

I have solved for now 3 buttons of the pannel. Is a splendid structure and wonderful Textures, too if some texture i think are from Ae Gura. A great job. My congratulations. But there are some errors about colliders and sounds. I not spoke about steps, but sound effects. And the water is very slow...LOL. But is a splendid atmosphere, and nice objects. Many dectailes for have a real experience of exploration. congratulations all. Have fun. 8-)
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Ehren » Mon May 02, 2016 9:06 pm

I was doing an edit to the filename/prefix page: https://guildofwriters.org/wiki/Uru:CC_ ... e_Prefixes

I happened to notice that at number 125 there is another age listed with the filename "Cathedral". Jhon's Cathedral is at 10354. I don't know if the other Cathedral was released or not, but there is a potential name conflict there if it was (or if it will be)...

I thought about editing in a note about the name conflict, like was done for two places named "Crater", but ultimately decided it wasn't my place to mess with that.
Ehren

Postby dendwaler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:44 am

In my remembering the lower numbers are reserved for Cyan ages only.
the cathedral on 125 was/is part of ercana.( the start )
Because that lower numbered part is completely separated from the rest, there is no conflict at all afaik.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Previous

Return to Building