The Cathedral Released!

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: The Cathedral Released!

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:38 am

All the best, janaba! You will be missed. Great that you’ll be blessing others with your generous cheerfulness. If life ever leads you back, you know where to find us.
Christian Walther

Postby diafero » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:30 am

The age is now available on UAM and DI :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Dulcamara » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:48 am

Janaba i will miss you too :cry:

But, i wish you all the best you could think of :)
Dulcamara

Postby Annabelle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:42 am

I've been away for the last month and a half, I had to take some time off for personal matter.

I'm happy the age is finally released. Obviously, I've yet to discover the latest improvements made by dendwaler during the latest beta versions.

I'm shocked by the sad news that Janaba is leaving this community. You are a great person Janaba. You have always be kind to everyone and to myself. You were the mother figure of us all. I don't know how many years you've been involved in this community but you seem to have entered long before myself (6 full years this March). I hope the best for you and all your new projects of life. I give you a big hug. Farewell dear Janaba! :(
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Ehren » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:05 pm

It sounds like I'm walking on sand (or dirt) everywhere that I've been so far, but shouldn't it be stone? It feels like it somewhat weakens the atmosphere of the age to me, and it should be an easy to fix thing.

IT is a pretty amazing structure though, particularly the high ceiling, chandeliers, and candelabras.
Ehren

Postby Acorn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:00 am

I decided to try the newly-uploaded UAM version - on a different laptop from the one I had used for the direct download - and I noticed a difference -
Show Spoiler
- was this deliberate? Or a glitch?
Acorn

Postby JanB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:10 am

I did not have that experience of a sandy muddy floor during all the testruns .
You might finds some weak walls etc. during exploring, but adding more colliders might have made this age unplayable was Den Dwalers greatest fear.
I forced a reset.

Please start exploring again from the beginning!. 8-)
JanB

Postby dendwaler » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:57 am

Ehren,
concerning the footstep sound you are right!
But changing it is not as easy as it appears to be.
Because the stone sound either was not as it should be inside a cathedral. So i tried to make a custom sound
for it. All the stone sounds got a nice reverb to get the echoing sound that are so special for big cathedrals.
Sirius advised me on it on how to do that whithout changing it in other existing ages.
I did something wrong and instead of the new sound you get the sound which should have been temporarely replaced( the "mud/dirt/sand" sound)
Besides that i did not include those new sounds into the uploaded file.
I will change that in a future update definitly! , but first i have to find what is wrong with my coding on that point.

You know its this kind of little things that are sometimes hard to find, that delays the release of an age dramaticly.

At Acorn,
you might also be right Acorn , again i will have to look into the files.
I already was afraid this kind of failures would occur if the age became available as a multiplayer age.
The logic in the cathedral is for an occasional coder like me very difficult, and i am not sure what happens if someone before you came, already lowered that gate.
I thought it was stored locally, but i might be wrong, in that case you take over the state as it was for the last player.
This is all not tested! ( and the reason why i advised to play offline first!)
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Goodbye Janaba. I'm sorry we lost you. I hope you have new happy adventures in your next experiences. I'm sorry for another reason: you lost my next project. But in all cases remember you are always welcome if you think to come back to URU. Take care, and like said Spock: LONG LIFE AND PROSPER! _|V| :D
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Acorn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:24 pm

dendwaler wrote:At Acorn,
you might also be right Acorn , again i will have to look into the files.
I already was afraid this kind of failures would occur if the age became available as a multiplayer age.
The logic in the cathedral is for an occasional coder like me very difficult, and i am not sure what happens if someone before you came, already lowered that gate.
I thought it was stored locally, but i might be wrong, in that case you take over the state as it was for the last player.
This is all not tested! ( and the reason why i advised to play offline first!)

Thanks, denDwaler, but UAM is single player so I didn't expect there to be any difference. I wondered whether it was because of any of the files you swapped?
Acorn

PreviousNext

Return to Building