Picture won't show up

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Picture won't show up

Postby rocketdog » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 am

Hi all,

This question will be for the people using 3ds Max.

Im setting up the linking books for my ages. I'm using D'Lanor's Python files and almost every thing works, the books pop up as they should, the hot spot shows up when the linking spot is selected, the linking book goes back to the podium then the avatar touches the book and links out.

The problem is the linking book pictures will not show up. I have the pictures of both ages out of sight and under the floor, the pictures have the same name as the linking book. Both pictures are listed in the PageDefs.py file. If I change the size of the picture it also changes the size of the hot spot. It seems to me that the pictures are on the book but are invisible.

I have mipmap turned off, but when I look in the .prp file it shows the pictures under mipmap. and I'm not even sure I need mipmap turned off but I have tried it both ways on and off.

Do you have any idea's on what this could be. I remember reading something a long time ago about the Offline Ki but can't find it again.

Is there any good Tutorial on the subject? Andy's tutorial falls short.

Thanks,

rocketdog
rocketdog

Re: Picture won't show up

Postby rocketdog » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Now I have the pictures showing up but they must be .jpg not .png the problem then is I don't have the alpha texture around the picture so the picture is to large. If I change it to a .png it doesn't show up.

rocketdog
rocketdog

Postby rocketdog » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Ok I got it I needed to put a checkmark in front of "do not compress" in the Material Editor.

So for anyone in the future.

Turn off mipmap and compress in the Material Editor.
Make sure your texture is a 512 x 256 in the Material Editor.
Add a transparent layer to your texture that is larger then your texture. Mine is 612 x 356 and center your texture on it.
Set your texture to .png and turn on Alpha in the Material Editor.

rocketdog
rocketdog

Postby Karkadann » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the solution?

Sherlock Holmes
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Return to Building