Adding Sound Effects (3DSMax)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Adding Sound Effects (3DSMax)

Postby Semjay » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 am

I want to add some sound effects to my age and I have followed Andy's 3DSMax tutorials to good effect for ambient sounds and background music.

Now, I have some doors in my age. I have been able to animate them opening and closing and they work beautifully when the player clicks on a button - I just want to add a door-opening sound effect. I have followed the tutorial, set up the emitter, created the New > Audio > Sound 3D, and attached it to the emitter, done all of that stuff and then - oh no! - the tutorial ends without explaining how to tell the door that it needs to make the sound. So now I am stuck.

What am I missing? Any thoughts?
Semjay

Re: Adding Sound Effects (3DSMax)

Postby Karkadann » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Im not to good with tutorials however it sounds like you need to add the sound component to the state in your responder and then time the door animation and door sound together so it looks and sound right, there is a max file with a lot of av animations including the associated sound you might wanna check out.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o6f7r66r2 ... tion02.rar

http://www.writers-guild.org/Forum/show ... hp?tid=151

and a short history of it

http://www.writers-guild.org/Forum/show ... php?tid=62

its not perfect but it might have an example of what you need, the door was never finished, you might wanna start by experimenting with that
as I recall it still needs a page info component so just add that and it should be an exportable age
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Semjay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:41 am

Hurrah! Success, you were right. After sleeping on the problem, I've just checked everything again and found that I'd forgotten to add the object in the command perameters rollout in both state 1 (open) and state2 (closed).

My door works in a different way to yours. It has a dummy object which rotates, behaving like a hinge or fulcrum. The "Door" is linked as a child of the hinge and gets dragged around as the hinge rotates. This means that I can use the same mechanism over again but with doors of different sizes and locations. I also have two exclusion regions to stop the player walking through the door in its open and closed positions and two safe regions to which the player is moved automatically if they are standing in the path of the moving door when they click the button.

Thanks again for your help, it just nudged me to the solution.
Semjay

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Semjay wrote:Hurrah! Success, you were right. After sleeping on the problem, I've just checked everything again and found that I'd forgotten to add the object in the command perameters rollout in both state 1 (open) and state2 (closed).

My door works in a different way to yours. It has a dummy object which rotates, behaving like a hinge or fulcrum. The "Door" is linked as a child of the hinge and gets dragged around as the hinge rotates. This means that I can use the same mechanism over again but with doors of different sizes and locations. I also have two exclusion regions to stop the player walking through the door in its open and closed positions and two safe regions to which the player is moved automatically if they are standing in the path of the moving door when they click the button.

Thanks again for your help, it just nudged me to the solution.

This is how doors are supposed to be built in URU. Good job
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Semjay » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:21 am

My next question about sound effects is:

Is it ok to pick from the sfx or My Music folders from the game (as I have been doing)? Do I need to copy and rename them? What about those whose file names begin with x? I don't want to infringe any copyright by using them.

Your thoughts, as always, very welcome, thank you.

@Tsar Hoikas : )
Semjay

Return to Building