WIP Canyon - now available !

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

WIP Canyon - now available !

Postby Sirius » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 am

Hello all,

For a while now, the DRC has been working on a nameless Age we only know as The Canyon.
We have been very protective of this Age, due to the massive amount of restoration required to guarantee safety when exploring it.
However, due to the cost of said restorations and budgetary restrictions, the approval process has been put on hold indefinitely. Since we're kinda low on secure bookshelves right now, we figured we might as well make it publicly available for those of you who are the adventurous types. Obviously the DRC washes its hands of any danger you might face while exploring this Age, included but not limited to, deadly pits, fall of heavy machinery, unstable electric installation, non-breathable air, xenophobic inhabitants, overlapping realities, broken elevators, bad Monday mornings, etc. You're on your own, so keep your Relto book and a few chocolate bars at hand.

Enjoy, and remember: safety is n#1.

Out of character:

Hey guys ! :) I've been working on this Age a lot (this one, if you've forgotten), but kinda stopped working on it about a year and a half ago. There are several reasons to it, including me getting bored of Plasma, running out of ideas, working on other projects, and the Age not looking very good in VR. Right now I'm thinking of ways to make it better (on Unity), and hopefully at some point I'll be confident enough to resume working on it. Hopefully once I'm done for real with school and boring homeworks ;)

However I still have this older Plasma version at hand, and since I'm not working on the Age at the moment, it's a lot better if you guys can have it. Which means it's now available on Deep Island and UAM, so profit ! (and thank you Diafero for the upload !)
Currently it's soundless (I recommend putting your own music while exploring) and mostly textureless (hey, it's a WIP all right). However the walkable area spans a cubic kilometer or so (...yes, for real), and while most of it is narrow catwalks and buggy elevators, it should be pretty fun to explore. Also, not all areas are available on foot, so you are welcome to use and abuse flymode, /spawn, /a, /jump, /warp etc. It's all part of the experience :)

Have fun, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it ! :D
Sirius

Re: WIP Canyon - now available !

Postby Dulcamara » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am

Hello Sirius, :)
I read your post today and I had to go to Deep Island immediately.
It's really gigantic what you created. It's a huge backdrop and I love the technical elements. So sad that the sound is missing: But I can imagine it: The metal floors, the wheels that spin, the wind .....
Yes, texturing all that would take an enormous amount of time. But it would be really worth it. It's just great .....

Greetings
Dulcamara
Dulcamara

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:32 pm

wow Sirius - that is a lot of work you've put into this project! All the ramps and colliders! I can't imagine the total time involved.
And even though it's largely untextured, I liked the texturing you did put in: the "glass dome" and the animated sky, and the lighting.
I enjoyed using the /spawn command to reach locations inaccessible otherwise: some beautiful viewpoints and overlooks!

Thanks for making this available. I'd guess that you have some backstory lore for this Canyon; I'd enjoy hearing about that and what you'd planned for gameplay.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby Chacal » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:30 pm

The video gave me shivers... that would have been the greatest Age ever.
But on that scale, it's a project for a 10-man team.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Sirius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 am

Thank you all for your kind words ! :D I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I have quite a few ideas for the scenario, but nothing really fleshed-out yet. The story is tied to new sections I have yet to add to the Age. I konw it's a lot of work, but think I might be able to make it playable for real one day. Using Unity makes building much easier, what I only need now is time and good design ideas... Not the easiest to find.
Sirius

Return to Building