My Methodology (for new age builders)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

My Methodology (for new age builders)

Postby J'Kla » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:03 am

Note This is My Method not the only method this is what works for me and it may help a Noob set up in a way that will keep them organised.

Please note I am not suggesting this is the only way it is just the method that I use.

This methodology has grown out of my situation where I build my ages in two separate locations and that I build things other than ages.

I have two desktop PC’s and a laptop with a new laptop coming soon.

I also have a dirtsand shard set up on an old Vista PC that’s been converted to Ubuntu 64bit server this shard is setup with No-IP.com so I can test my Korman 0.08 MOUL exports on that shard regardless of my location.

My primary work location is a Seagate 2 Tb USB3 Backup Plus portable drive with a folder called Age Factory.

Any time I do a major age change I backup this Age Factory Folder onto my main PC’s and at that time I usually make a copy to a second portable drive just to be safe.

In the Age Factory I have a folder for each age and also a folder for each of my other projects. The Age Factory folder also contains a sub folder named Artwork the folder named Artwork contains all of the Textures, Fonts and sundry artwork. This Artwork folder is also sub divided into sub folders sorted by content.

This means that if I make changes to my artwork those changes will apply to all ages that use that artwork however, if I were to keep the artwork in the age file It would be a pain to keep all of these artwork folders in synchronisation.

Each Age folder also contains an Export folder and a Tpots folder note this is all on the portable drive which is my work-space.

All of the PC’s and Laptops have a version of Complete Chronicles set up to run with Drizzle and a Local installation set up to run with the dirtsand shard called Minamalist and this sits in the root of my C:> drive.

At this time all of my development is done using that dirtsand environment. So, on my desktop I have two shortcuts one links to the Export folder for the current age I am working on and the other links to the dat folder in that Minamalist installation.

So lets consider I am working on an update to my Enobmort age I open the latest instance of that blender file and use save as and increment the blender file number so I have a fall back position should I make a total pigs ear of work. I make whatever changes are planed then save.

I then go to export making sure I am using the MOUL export from Korman I export to the appropriate export folder in the age factory for that age. Once complete I re save. and minimize Blender.

Now I open the shortcut to that export folder and drag and drop the generated age files onto the shortcut that links to the dat folder in my Minamalist installation and as this is usually a newer set of age files replacing files already there, I will need to comply with the replace request.

Now also on my desktop I have the shortcut that opens my Minamalist Uru using the -LocalData switch so I can fire this up.

If for some reason I failed to use the correct export format that is to say I exported as Path of the Shell (63.12) when I should have used Myst Online: Uru Live (70) I will get a message saying “The following pages are out of date and will be deleted”.

So in this case it is just a case of going back to blender and exporting the correct format. Once the Minimalist install is open I can then in the plasma console use the Net.linktoage Enobmort to jump to my newly installed Enobmort and check out the updates. Then hit the apostrophe key twice to close the plasma console.

After a successful session I make a backup of the exported files in a sub directory this will give me a fall-back position if I totally screw my first export of the day.

I know I could export directly to the Minamalist/dat folder but my method means I always have a copy of my latest export on the portable drive and building on the portable does mean that the drag and drop makes a copy whereas if I were to build in the age factory export folder on my C:> drive the drag and drop would move and not copy.

I have insured that each age I am building has a unique sequence prefix so all of my ages can co-exist on the same Minimalist installation.

Now if I am exporting Path of the Shell I export into the Tpots folder and drag and drop those files in the dat folder of my Complete Chronicles installation (different shortcut) then I open that with Drizzle and I am then able to test a Path of the Shell export.

As I say this is a method that works for me it gives me a safe backup and a portable solution.

I am aware that there are other methods but I would point out again I have multiple build locations, multiple ages and projects other than ages.

These notes are meant to help Noobs not to teach those who already know what they are doing. ;)
J'Kla

Re: My Methodology (for new age builders)

Postby J'Kla » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 am

This process is about to change because I have just found out about the new export method.

I am still using the external drive for my .blend files but my two step export is going to be revised once I get it all working.
J'Kla

Return to Building