Four new ages for Uru

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Four new ages for Uru

Postby gchaser » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Thank you Melvin for the quick response! I'm playing your ages from the DI shard, so on this cold, dreary rainy day in Atlanta, I'm heading to Palamary Bay.....!

gchaser
gchaser

Postby Ehren » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:25 pm

The text file says "Several doors in the age require you to find a hand print on a wall", I assume this refers to the doors that have a hand symbol appear when you walk near them. But I found...
Show Spoiler

I just can't figure out those doors.
Ehren

Postby melvin » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:20 am

The doors with a flashing symbol require a single hand print to open them. Doors that do not have a flashing symbol require more than one hand print so these have the locks like the tomb entrance, & later the library entrance in the Ruins of Azmar. Not all of the doors use a hand print, the second tomb entrance lock is a diamond that turns green when pressed.
melvin

Postby Ehren » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:19 am

I found 4 of the shells in Palamary Bay, do I need to find all 10 shells to progress?
Ehren

Postby melvin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:19 am

The shells are just something extra to find, you don't need them to progress. The main goal is to get into that tomb & find the linking stone to the Ruins of Azmar.
melvin

Postby gchaser » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Melvin, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am playing your ages on the Deep Island Shard. If I find a cloth, or a shell while in the game and then log off, will I still have the items I previously found when I log back on, or do I have to start my quests over?

Also, if others are in the game with me, and they find a cloth or shell, etc., does that prohibit me from finding those same items, and if they find a hand cloth that opens a door for them, will that door be open for me as well?

Just curious as to how the stand-alone version of the game plays versus the Deep Island Shard version.

Thanks,

gchaser
gchaser

Postby Ehren » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm

I would not recommend playing through the ages for the first time on Deep Island. I think I understand why they made user ages all public there, but it does make things hard for people who make ages with actual tasks/puzzles. At any rate, despite not finishing Palamary Bay, I can tell you for a fact that you will see and have the effects of the changes/progress other people made on the server.

If they find a shell or cloth it will certainly count as found for you too, however those items don't disappear, so you could still search for them even if they count as already found. I can only guess that the doors would be open for everyone too since it's all the same instance.

The only way around this sort of problem would be to create separate chronicle entries for each player (that's how Cyan's journey cloths throughout the prime journey work). Not many fan ages actually use chronicles though, I guess since that is something that sticks permanently with the player (however small its data may be) rather than the age instance.
Ehren

Postby gchaser » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks Ehren, that makes perfect sense.....I will try to download the standalone version, and play that one as well.

gchaser
gchaser

Postby melvin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am

I'm new to deep island myself, I only installed it to make sure the python warp & link codes were working correctly. From my limited experience the ages seem to reset after a while, presumably so other players can have a go. It's difficult to play a game when other people keep altering everything, unless of course you are working together as a team. Maybe someone with more experience can clarify how deep island works. I would recommend playing offline, the ages were never really designed with multiple players in mind, although they seem to work reasonably well online.
melvin

Postby Sirius » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm

melvin wrote:From my limited experience the ages seem to reset after a while, presumably so other players can have a go.

Public Ages in DI can be reset manually with /!resetage (or /%resetage as some keyboard can't type the '!' character in Uru).
Yeah, fan Ages are all public because it's much easier to handle for various reasons - it also makes finding other people to play with easier since usually the server is quite empty. It does have the side-effect of people being able to reset your progression though...

Ehren wrote:The only way around this sort of problem would be to create separate chronicle entries for each player

That would work.
The tools and scripts we have aren't really designed with chronicles usage in mind however, which means unless you know programming you can't use them (and yeah, there is no way to "reset" a chronicle in the base game, you would have to place a reset switch somewhere).
(If I remember correctly, another problem with chronicles is that scripts can't "listen" to them being changed, which means they are even more annoying to use.)
It also has the side effect that people would see other person's avatars going through doors and the like, which might be confusing.

Usually, the best way to deal with this kind of issue is making timed puzzles. This way, they automatically reset after a while, and they are easy to reopen when you already know the combination.
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to Building