VR Test

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

VR Test

Postby jkcui1687 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:04 pm

So I was bored, and desperately wanted to visit uru ages in VR. So I imported the Nexus into Altspace haha!

It's just static, and there's no lighting or effects, but it would be nice to get some of these in.

https://youtu.be/KjzysQmGaeA
~JKC
jkcui1687

Re: VR Test

Postby Deledrius » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Cool. :) Get the lightmaps imported and it'll look loads better with little additional work.

I know there's been some work to get Plasma to work with VR going on, but there have been some hiccups waiting for the official drivers/libraries to be mature enough.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby jkcui1687 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 pm

Oh that's really exciting! I'm definitely going to have to keep up with what is happening with Plasma. Just starting to get my feet wet in developing for VR.
~JKC
jkcui1687

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:30 am

Nice, right ? Even though the scale isn't always realistic, I still think VR fits Uru really well :) It's pretty cool to just feel like you're there.

I got UPlasma to load Relto, Ahnonay's Cathedral and Nexus into the Unity engine with the original graphics, if you're interested. With a bit of fiddling you can get it to work in VR. It does require some knowledge about how to use Unity though. It's a bit tricky to setup and the movement system doesn't support VR at the time.

Deledrius wrote:I know there's been some work to get Plasma to work with VR going on, but there have been some hiccups waiting for the official drivers/libraries to be mature enough.

We still have a long way before Plasma supports true room-scale VR, but still, that will be pretty cool once it's available.
Sirius

Postby Aloys » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:18 pm

That is pretty cool indeed! :).
Uru in VR (or any game in the series really) is a long dream of mine.. Being able to fiddle with your KI, or reach your Relto book, with your own hands would be so great.

Now moving around is a little more complicated, and Uru wasn't designed for a Myst like node based movement system. But we gotta start somewhere.

[url]Even though the scale isn't always realistic, I still think VR fits Uru really well[/url]
If there's one thing VR is great for it's giving a sense of scale. Can you imagine being outside on Garrison and seeing the huge training center rotating? Or Better yet in the Cavern? That would be seriously awesome.
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:30 am

Aloys wrote:Being able to fiddle with your KI, or reach your Relto book, with your own hands would be so great.

Oh yeah !

Aloys wrote:Uru wasn't designed for a Myst like node based movement system

While it's quite nauseating at first, eventually you get used to regular game locomotion. Natural Locomotion (where you move forward by waving your arms), while a bit weird, helps a lot too.
Otherwise, maybe we'll get teleportation locomotion in the game eventually.

Aloys wrote:If there's one thing VR is great for it's giving a sense of scale.

VR is great at giving the sense of scale, however some games that weren't correctly scaled from the start don't translate well to VR. Skyrim being an example, where tomatoes are as big as cabbages, doors are 4 meters tall, and everyone is fighting with paddles.
Uru has a similar issue since everything is slightly too big (to accommodate to being viewed on a small screen). Fortunately, the design for the whole game is quite alien, and D'ni are supposed to be quite showy and to like stocky rock architecture. So the wrong scale actually works in favor of the game most of the time IMHO.

Aloys wrote:Can you imagine being outside on Garrison and seeing the huge training center rotating? Or Better yet in the Cavern? That would be seriously awesome.

Oh yeah ! Gahreesen (and Ahnonay!) would be really cool. Seeing the buildings/vortex in motion would definitely be impressive... and vertiginous :)
At some point I manually ported both Bevin and Ae'gura into Unity, so I have a pretty good idea what it looks like in VR. Like I said, the scale is slightly off, which is not a big issue. You can still feel lost in the big buildings all the same.
Now I would love to play the DiRT demo in VR... Can you imagine all the climbing and clinging to pipes you would have to do with motion controller ? Crazy.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Sirius wrote:Uru has a similar issue since everything is slightly too big (to accommodate to being viewed on a small screen). Fortunately, the design for the whole game is quite alien, and D'ni are supposed to be quite showy and to like stocky rock architecture. So the wrong scale actually works in favor of the game most of the time IMHO.

That, and the forced perspective in some places like the city locations may not work as well in first person in 3D. I still wish they'd built it all properly to scale...
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Building