Age Building with a Mac (running on Catalina)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Age Building with a Mac (running on Catalina)

Postby dendwaler » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:09 am

well it is at least a reported issue.
Its there since release 0.05
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6748&start=30
the last post on that page
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: Age Building with a Mac

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:20 pm

boblishman wrote:one thing: When setting up Korman from the Wiki instructions the section marked "Choosing Game and Python Installations" come BEFORE "Finally, at the top of the Blender window, switch from Blender Render to Korman.". During my setup I did not have the option to choose Game and python until AFTER I had changed Blender Render to Korman. Is the wiki correct and, if not, should I alter it?

It should be possible to set up your paths before changing the renderer. I'm unable to reproduce this right now. Is it still acting this way for you?

boblishman wrote:Also, it says to "Click Save User Settings and close the User Preferences window." BEFORE switching to Korman. This means that every time you start Blender you have to switch it. Surely it's best to save user settings AFTER switching to Korman? (Again, I can change that if I'm correct)

AFAIK, Saving the User Settings is a separate act from Saving the current session as the Startup File. The renderer choice will not be remembered for new Blends unless you select "Save Startup File" from the File menu. Saving the User Settings ensures that the plugin is enabled.

Korovev wrote:
Deledrius wrote:You should be able to use Blender for macOS! But it might require some wrangling as you'll have to build it yourself, currently. We'd love it if someone could help us make this more user-friendly.

The pre-built version won’t work?

Sorry, that was worded poorly. I was talking about Korman, not Blender. We don't provide an installer for Korman on OSX currently, but as it's Python, you can manually install it. You will also need to build the libHSPlasma library upon which it depends. I've run into trouble getting it to work in a way that is portable, however, which is why there is no installer yet. But Korman does work natively on OSX with the macOS version of Blender.

boblishman wrote:In order to use Korman (which is Windoze only) you need to install it into a bottle (wine) in Crossover.

This is not true. Korman is natively compatible with Blender in Windows, macOS, and Linux. It does not require any Wine or other abstraction or emulation layers.

You also don't need an Uru:CC installation; you can also use a MOULa-compatible dataset, if you wish to build for the modern engine and take advantage of the new features, bugfixes, and the developer console in-game. It's faster to link, too!

boblishman wrote:
Deledrius wrote:You should be able to use Blender for macOS! But it might require some wrangling as you'll have to build it yourself, currently. We'd love it if someone could help us make this more user-friendly.

The current blender for MacOS is 2.8x and not compatible with Korman. I have that installed on my Mac and textures/materials are handled VERY differently (nodes) in 2.8 - although I suppose you could use the 2.79 Mac version and then open the blend file it in the Windoze version in your Crossover bottle, though I can't see what advantage that would give you ??? :? It's an extra step in an already time consuming job of Age creation.

I don't understand why you would want to open it in multiple versions. Just export directly from the macOS Blender and into your game installation.

boblishman wrote:
Deledrius wrote:No need for Drizzle, Korman can natively export to Uru:CC or MOULa formats with a click of a button.

That's true, but the offline KI is VERY useful when building as you can use it's various commands to help with design and navigation. It also means that if you panic link you can get back into your Age without having to relaunch the game from Blender.

That's what the Net.LinkToAge command is handy for. ;) Whatever you think the OfflineKI is good for, the developer console built into Plasma is better at!

boblishman wrote:
Deledrius wrote: I recommend building and testing with MOULa since it has a developer console with debug commands, but Uru:CC works too.

This REALLY confuses me. I have never used MOULa for testing/creating Ages and wasn't even aware that you could! Can other MOULa players join you in your own Age ?
I would really appreciate more information on using MOULa as my "test area".

Yes, you can create and test multiplayer Ages. I would recommend using the Destiny server for such purposes, as it exists precisely to facilitate this.

boblishman wrote:Can anyone tell me what this means? ... Is it some kind of programmers "in" joke?

It's not a joke. That is a warning message from Blender about the way it stores data internally ::grumble::. It's been covered elsewhere on the forum, but if you want to hide that warning, launch blender with the argument `--enable-new-depsgraph` in its shortcut. Otherwise, you can safely ignore it, it is meaningless for the purposes of Korman.

boblishman wrote:Finally, I have a problem. If I add a PanicLink region, no matter how small (or far away from the DefaultLinkInPoint) my avatar immediately panic links upon arrival. And yes, I have reset the scale and rotation of the region and it still causes immediate panic link.

Is this a known issue with tPotS and Korman 0.9 ?

This may be related to a known bug in the way physicals are exported for PotS. Try applying the Location of the Panic Region object, this seems to work for me in a quick test.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby boblishman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 am

Deledrius wrote:We don't provide an installer for Korman on OSX currently, but as it's Python, you can manually install it.

I have no idea how to do this. None. As I have Korman installed inside my bottle, can I just copy the "Korman" folder ...
Korman folder.jpg
Korman folder.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 3836 times

and then place it in the MacOS Blender's .../2.79/scripts folder ...
scripts folder.jpg
scripts folder.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 3836 times

or will that just not work?

Deledrius wrote: You will also need to build the libHSPlasma library upon which it depends

and this ... waaaaay over my head. No idea where to start with this on a Mac.

Any help gratefully received.
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 pm

boblishman wrote:
Deledrius wrote: You will also need to build the libHSPlasma library upon which it depends

and this ... waaaaay over my head. No idea where to start with this on a Mac.

Any help gratefully received.

Ah, okay, no worries then. It's mildly technical, so if you're not proficient with building your own software, that's not a path you'll want to start down right now. Carry on.

I wish we had a macOS expert who could overcome the last hurdle. Korman works fine, but getting it to work and package up in a way that's redistributable has proven difficult. So close!

(Sorry about that, but at least your solution appears to be working for you at the moment. :D )
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Age Building with a Mac (running on Catalina)

Postby Zapoteca » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:29 am

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I figured it would be better to have all Mac-related discussion on a single spot.

I'm trying to get Korman to run natively on a Mac, and (seem to) have successfully compiled the libraries. However, when I try to click the checkbox to activate Korman on Blender, Blender instantly crashes. I believe this may have to do with some manual tinkering I had to do to get everything to compile. I'll describe what I did, step by step:

1) Compile dependencies for the plasma libraries. Things to note:
* I tried using the latest (3.0) version of OpenSSL, but this leads to errors when compiling libHSPlasmaNet.dylib due to deprecated stuff. Had to use version 1.1
* Fairly recent version of nasm is needed to compile libjpeg (the one that is bundled in my xcode release was old. Updating xcode might suffice, but it’s a huge download and the App Store was acting up)
* I manually edited libhsplasma/build/CMakeCache.txt to make it point to an installation of Python 3.5 (the one I had in my system was 3.8)

2) Compile libHSPlasma.dylib, PyHSPlasma.so and libHSPlasmaNet.dylib. This was fairly straightforward once all dependencies were correctly installed

3) Compile _korlib.so
* Not mentioned in the repo, but at least on macOS I was required to install libogg and libvorbis first.
* However, when trying to compile libvorbis it was throwing the error “unknown type name ‘uint16_t’” (and the same for uint32_t and uint64_t). To solve this I had to manually edit two files: /usr/local/include/ogg/ogg.h and /usr/local/include/ogg/os_types.h, and add the line “#include <stdint.h>”
* When trying to compile korlib, I got the following error: “/usr/local/include/string_theory/st_assert.h:35:52: error: expected ';' at end of declaration list”. The solution was adding the flag “-std=c++11” in the file CMakeCache.txt (specifically at this place: “CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-std=c++11”)
* Finally, I was getting the error “'GL/gl.h' file not found”. in the file “korlib/texture.cpp”. The solution was simply to change “#include <GL/gl.h>” to “#include <OpenGL/gl.h>” (seems to be an Apple related issue)

4) Copy libHSPlasma.dylib, PyHSPlasma.so and _korlib.so to:
/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python/lib/python3.5/site-packages

5) Copy korman folder to:
/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/scripts/addons

Here is an excerpt from the crash report I'm getting on Blender:
=======================================================
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000010
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x10:
-->
__TEXT 0000000100000000-0000000106375000 [ 99.5M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender

Global Trace Buffer (reverse chronological seconds):
60.720291 libsystem_trace.dylib 0x00007fff859670fa dyld_image_header_containing_address(0x10b46a330) failed
60.720291 libsystem_trace.dylib 0x00007fff859670fa dyld_image_header_containing_address(0x10b46a330) failed

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 org.python.python 0x00000001242ef2a3 PyModule_Create2 + 27
1 _korlib.so 0x0000000123f85807 PyInit__korlib + 23
2 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x00000001024a2570 _PyImport_LoadDynamicModuleWithSpec + 480
3 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x00000001024a20a1 _imp_create_dynamic + 257
4 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x0000000102408e38 PyCFunction_Call + 280
5 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x000000010248421e PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 27982

(it goes on and on after this)
======================================================================================================================

I'm guessing the problem lies on my _korlib.so, correct? Could anyone point me on the right direction for fixing this?
Zapoteca

Previous

Return to Building