Age Building with a Mac (running on Catalina)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Age Building with a Mac (running on Catalina)

Postby boblishman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 am

Hi Guys,

Now that we have CrossOver 19 from Codeweavers I'm curious if anyone out there is building any Ages using a Mac, and, if so, what are you using to do it.

I haven't tried yet but my plan was to download Blender 2.8 for Windoze and to use the Korman plugin.

I have Uru CC (off line) up and running and Drizzle too ... so, what are your thoughts?

I'm hoping someone can save me a lot of time in experimenting on the best "combo" to use and also what does (and doesn't work) via Crossover.

I also have 3dMax somewhere so that's another option (if it runs under Crossover).

It's been so long since I built anything that it will (almost) be like starting from scratch so I'm just looking for an option that actually works.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by boblishman on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Re: Age Building with a Mac

Postby dendwaler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 am

Korman 2.79 is the version you need to use for Korman. 2.8 is not supported.
https://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Korman
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 pm

boblishman wrote:I haven't tried yet but my plan was to download Blender 2.8 for Windoze and to use the Korman plugin.

You should be able to use Blender for macOS! But it might require some wrangling as you'll have to build it yourself, currently. We'd love it if someone could help us make this more user-friendly.

boblishman wrote:I have Uru CC (off line) up and running and Drizzle too ... so, what are your thoughts?

No need for Drizzle, Korman can natively export to Uru:CC or MOULa formats with a click of a button. I recommend building and testing with MOULa since it has a developer console with debug commands, but Uru:CC works too.

boblishman wrote:I also have 3dMax somewhere so that's another option (if it runs under Crossover).

I suspect this might be difficult if not impossible.

boblishman wrote:It's been so long since I built anything that it will (almost) be like starting from scratch so I'm just looking for an option that actually works.

If you run into questions, just ask!

dendwaler wrote:Korman 2.79 is the version you need to use for Korman. 2.8 is not supported.
https://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Korman

Yup, Blender 2.8 breaks a lot of things, and the plugin will need a very large rewrite to work with 2.8. :( This has not happened, so for now you'll need to use 2.79(b or later).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Age Building with a Mac running Catalina

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:28 am

... and so it begins ... :D

(proof of concept)

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 11.24.47.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 11.24.47.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
boblishman

Re: Age Building with a Mac (running on Catalina)

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:40 am

one thing: When setting up Korman from the Wiki instructions the section marked "Choosing Game and Python Installations" come BEFORE "Finally, at the top of the Blender window, switch from Blender Render to Korman.". During my setup I did not have the option to choose Game and python until AFTER I had changed Blender Render to Korman. Is the wiki correct and, if not, should I alter it?

Also, it says to "Click Save User Settings and close the User Preferences window." BEFORE switching to Korman. This means that every time you start Blender you have to switch it. Surely it's best to save user settings AFTER switching to Korman? (Again, I can change that if I'm correct)
boblishman

Postby Korovev » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 am

Deledrius wrote:You should be able to use Blender for macOS! But it might require some wrangling as you'll have to build it yourself, currently. We'd love it if someone could help us make this more user-friendly.

The pre-built version won’t work?
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:38 am

In order to use Korman (which is Windoze only) you need to install it into a bottle (wine) in Crossover.

This same bottle needs to have installed:

1) Blender 2.79 (Windoze)
2) Korman
3) Uru CC.

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 15.28.26.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 15.28.26.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

Once everything is installed you are basically working in a totally Windoze environment. The only exception is that you ARE able to access any of your files on your Mac HD. This means that you can append, import, use sound files or anything else stored on your Mac. This is VERY useful, especially if you have textures and blend files created with Mac Blender and you wish to reuse objects from old blend files.
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 am

Deledrius wrote:You should be able to use Blender for macOS! But it might require some wrangling as you'll have to build it yourself, currently. We'd love it if someone could help us make this more user-friendly.

The current blender for MacOS is 2.8x and not compatible with Korman. I have that installed on my Mac and textures/materials are handled VERY differently (nodes) in 2.8 - although I suppose you could use the 2.79 Mac version and then open the blend file it in the Windoze version in your Crossover bottle, though I can't see what advantage that would give you ??? :? It's an extra step in an already time consuming job of Age creation.

Deledrius wrote:No need for Drizzle, Korman can natively export to Uru:CC or MOULa formats with a click of a button.

That's true, but the offline KI is VERY useful when building as you can use it's various commands to help with design and navigation. It also means that if you panic link you can get back into your Age without having to relaunch the game from Blender.

Deledrius wrote: I recommend building and testing with MOULa since it has a developer console with debug commands, but Uru:CC works too.

This REALLY confuses me. I have never used MOULa for testing/creating Ages and wasn't even aware that you could! Can other MOULa players join you in your own Age ?
I would really appreciate more information on using MOULa as my "test area".

Deledrius wrote:If you run into questions, just ask!

Thanks. You just might regret that offer! :lol:
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 am

[EDIT] IGNORE THIS POST. FOUND THE ANSWER IN ANOYHER THREAD

Can anyone tell me what this means? ... Is it some kind of programmers "in" joke?

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 16.18.48.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 16.18.48.jpg (72.69 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
Last edited by boblishman on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am

EDIT: Resolved!
There is a workaround for this tPotS build problem (which now appears in the Wiki). After creating a panic link region you need to apply Scale + Rotation (ctrA) and THEN Location (ctr+A). This should put the object centre of the panic region at the centre of your Age (0,0,0).
/EDIT

Finally, I have a problem. If I add a PanicLink region, no matter how small (or far away from the DefaultLinkInPoint) my avatar immediately panic links upon arrival. And yes, I have reset the scale and rotation of the region and it still causes immediate panic link.

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 16.09.27.jpg
Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 16.09.27.jpg (208.49 KiB) Viewed 4481 times

(Footsteps regions work perfectly)

Is this a known issue with tPotS and Korman 0.09 ?
Last edited by boblishman on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
boblishman

Next

Return to Building