Korman default fog settings

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Korman default fog settings

Postby diafero » Sun May 31, 2020 2:12 am

Frequently, when people submit ages to be uploaded to Deep Island and used Korman for building the age, my automatic scripts often complain that the age does not set up any fog in its fni file. Unfortunately, at least in Uru:CC, this means that the age will just use whatever the fog is in the age the player is coming from -- so the age will look different depending on whether you come from the Nexus or Relto.

Typically what I do in that case is add "Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefLinear 0 0 0" to the fni file, which turns off the fog. But maybe the Korman defaults could be improved so that we do not have to do this manually for each age? (Not having used Korman myself, I have no idea what the defaults are.)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Re: Korman default fog settings

Postby Sirius » Sun May 31, 2020 2:34 am

From what I can tell, Korman's defaults mimic the fog settings in D'ni. However, if you completely turn off the fog, it will indeed have only the following two lines in the FNI file, which are not enough:
Code: Select all
Graphics.Renderer.SetClearColor 0.0 0.0 0.0
Graphics.Renderer.SetYon 100000

(I hope people only disable fog for pure interior locations. Exteriors really benefit from a bit of fog to add some depth...)
Sirius

Postby ametist » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:42 am

Well, that's what I did, turned off the fog(following the instructions in the wiki tutorial for Korman - 'if no fog is needed set fog to none') in my new age Tiam, which diafero put on the DI yesterday and so he had to do this:
diafero wrote:Typically what I do in that case is add "Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefLinear 0 0 0" to the fni file, which turns off the fog.

I was not aware of that issue, and since no init file is needed with Korman, I wouldn't know where to write that?
Sirius wrote:(I hope people only disable fog for pure interior locations. Exteriors really benefit from a bit of fog to add some depth...)

My age has a very small exterior space so I thought that fog was not needed. Of course I could have set it anyway, but I have never understood those settings properly anyway so I skipped it...

So this is something that should be in the wiki IMHO.
ametist

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 am

ametist wrote:So this is something that should be in the wiki IMHO.

No, this is a bug in Korman that should have been reported to the bug tracker. No action should be taken by Age creators. This will be fixed in Korman 0.10. :)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby diafero » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:31 am

should have been reported to the bug tracker

Sorry for that, I wasn't aware that there is one. :) I'll use it next time. Thanks for the quick fix!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Building