Korman - fog settings

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Korman - fog settings

Postby ametist » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:46 am

I have a question about the fog settings - when I look at the init file in my old blend files I have two sets of settings there, one for Set.Def.Linear an one for Set.Def.Exp2.
When I shall fill those into korman I can chose either linear or Exponential - which I guess is the same as .Exp2?
So in the ages I have built with korman I have not used fog at all up til this last age I am building right now. In that age I have set the fog to 'Linear' and I see the fog appear at the same distance around me,
so when I move it kind of follows or go away, depending on my direction. Setting it to 'Exponential' does not change what I see.
So what is the difference?
In the old 'init' there are most often different setting regarding float end and float density, see image.
Attachments
FogSettings.jpg
FogSettings.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
ametist

Re: Korman - fog settings

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:15 pm

Doobes keeps telling me there's an issue with the exponential fog that Korman exports, but I'm not sure what the problem is. :|
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ametist » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks Hoikas, I'll talk to Doobes and see what he has to say. :)
ametist

Postby Paradox » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:58 pm

The difference between linear and exp2 fog is often subtle and there aren't any great examples in Uru because Er'cana is the only Age that uses exp2. The difference is all based on the math for calculating the fog density over distance.

• Linear fog says (roughly) that an object twice as far away will have twice as much fog. This is cheap to calculate because it's just a straight line equation, and it works well for almost all of Uru's Ages, particularly in smaller areas where you want a subtle fog effect.
    Online example of linear fog

• Exp fog isn't used anywhere in Uru, but uses an exponential curve instead of a straight line.

• Exp2 fog is another exponential curve, but using the square of the distance. This is a lot more realistic as to how fog behaves in the real world, but it's also a more expensive calculation. This works best for large areas where you can see into the distance (like Er'cana's canyon) or areas with thick fog, because it gives a more realistic behaviour than a simple linear calculation.
    Online example of exp2 fog
Paradox

Postby ametist » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:49 am

Thank you so much for excellent explanation! Now I see I do not need to worry about the Exp2 settings for now at least ;)
ametist

Return to Building