Trouble with age testing

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Trouble with age testing

Postby ametist » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 am

When I send my age files to others for testing, they can not link in to the age. With their help I have pinned it down to an issue with the .pak file, I am quite sure it isn't the SDL, I have checked that. I think I know what it is but I am not sure how to fix the issue and would need some guidance. :oops:

In my age I use some global python files - xAgeSDLBoolToggle.py, xAgeSDLBoolRespond.py, xAgeSDLBoolSet.py, xAgeSDLBoolShowHide.py and xStandardDoor.py.
When I create the korman nodes I load those python files from my offline URU python src folder.
But then I also use the puzzle script Hoikas wrote, xAgeSDLBoolActivatorComboSet.py and since that one isn't present in the python src folder I packed that in the node when I exported the age for testing. So in the .pak file I sent to my testers there were one 'ageame'.py and the xAgeSDLBoolActivatorComboSet.py.
Obviously not a good idea( I know that there should not be any .py files within the .pak that starts with anything but the agename...) since they could not link in, getting this message 'Some game files are missing or corrupt. Please reinstall URU.'

Thinking a little further ;) , I used PlasmaShop to search in another .pak in my offline install, I found the python file in question in the offlineki.pak. So I wonder if I can extract that .pak to the src folder, and then I can load the file into the korman node from there?

Would that work so that when others get my age files they can link to the age?
ametist

Re: Trouble with age testing

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm

That error is always tricky because it could be a number of things, from slightly mismatched audio files to a sequence prefix conflict. My first inkling for it is to edit the Age's .sum file in PlasmaShop to remove every entry from it. Deleting the .sum file will trigger the error, so don't do that. It would be really nice if the game gave us a more useful error, but the public version of Uru CC wasn't designed to do that.

As for the xAgeSDLBoolActivatorComboSet.py, since it's now in the OfflineKI, you'll want to uncheck the "Export" checkbox in the xAgeSDLBoolActivatorComboSet.py text datablock in blender. Blender always "packs" text files, so that's how Korman knows if it needs to export a script.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ametist » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:22 am

Thank you! Yes, it is hard to find the issue because the export always works for me but I will try your suggestion about editing the .sum file before I export.
I just checked the text datablock xAgeSDLBoolActivatorComboSet.py and the Export checkbox is not ticked, and none of the others either. So far so good.
ametist

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:14 pm

Be sure to edit the .sum file after exporting. ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ametist » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Be sure to edit the .sum file after exporting. ;)

oops! That one revealed my ignorance :lol: . And it worked so the tester could link in to the age! But she reports that she can not hear sounds(that is not because of the'short-sound'-bug,I have longer sound clips in there too) or solve the puzzle, so I guess I know have to remove one line at a time to see what exactly gives the error. Ah, the joy of agebuilding 8-)
ametist

Return to Building