Korman - swim region issue

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Korman - swim region issue

Postby ametist » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:05 am

TsarHoikas wrote:Please keep reporting any problems you run into, and I'll look at fixing them in my next Korman hacking session.

When my avatar is swimming together with other avatars, I see my avatar swimming on the surface but I see them at the bottom of the lake.
They see me at the bottom. So everyone sees her-/himself swimming and the others at the bottom.
My swim region encounters the whole lake, going below the ground. The swim detect region has the modifier and it is levelled with the surface
of the water. The water is a waveset.

SwimReionsBotan.jpg
SwimReionsBotan.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 2177 times

Is my settings wrong somewhere or could this be a Korman problem?

Edit: I should say that even if many of the meshes are appended from the old blend file, the swim regions are new and fresh, created in blender 2.79.
SereneTiki reports the same issue from EderLicinus edit.
ametist

Re: Korman - swim region issue

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 am

I have seen this one before - you'll want to adjust the buoyancy values for the swimming surface modifier. The included defaults work well for MOUL, but they seem to, IIRC, allow the player to sink below the surface if they run-jump into the swimming area in PotS. I think if you just walk in (not run in), it works fine out-of-the-box. I expect there's a difference in how the player's momentum is conserved when entering a swimming region from PotS to MOUL in that the water buoyancy defaults are not applying enough impulse to the player to prevent him/her from sinking. I took the default values directly from the 3ds Max plugin, so let me know if you find anything that works better in both PotS and MOUL.

Havok and PhysX in general have a very different interpretation of how to handle player characters in the physics simulation. In Havok, they are real objects in the world and should behave according to physical laws. In PhysX, they expect for the player to character to query the world and move through it, ignoring physical limitations, instead imposing certain rules about movement. Both of these approaches have their pros and cons, as you are finding ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ametist » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:59 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote: I think if you just walk in (not run in), it works fine out-of-the-box.
Oh dear, that reminds me of my days as a teacher when I took my primary kids to the bath for a swimming lesson, constantly shouting 'No running near the pool!' and 'No jumping from the pool edge!' :lol:

I have to investigate that, I must admit, I did not control my fellow players in that regard. ;)
Seriously though, I had to adjust the settings as you say, the default ones made the character sink below the water surface. This setting - Buoyancy Down: 4.00 and Up: 2.00 works fine. The character can both jump and run into the water without sinking more than it looks quite natural.
BuoyancyBotan.jpg
BuoyancyBotan.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

So the issue is actually not that anyone sinks, we just see each other do that. Everyone see the others walking at the bottom, but her-/himself swimming?
ametist

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 pm

NO YELLING ON THE BUS!

Ahem.

I've actually seen myself sink into the water in one particular test Age, so 8-) 8-) 8-)

I'll have to try those values in both PotS and MOUL to see if we get consistent results. If so, we'll change them to be the default.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Building