Myst Selenetic Age original walking maze

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Myst Selenetic Age original walking maze

Postby Aloys » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:14 pm

I just posted that over at Reddit here, I figure I'd post it here too :
A while ago (errr, 10 years ago according to the files dates..) on a slow evening I took the original scrapped version of Myst's Selenetic Age and tried to remake it in Blender for fun.. Two days ago Chuck Carter (the artist at Cyan at the time who did that area) posted on his Twitter that he was redoing the whole Age as a playable thing in the Unreal engine but with the original maze instead of the 'Mazerunner' underground roller coaster.. I can't wait to see how it goes. Until then I figured I'd dig up my old files and share this.

(in the upper left is the original image, lower left is my version)

>> Gallery of random screenshots

Fun fact: by my estimation the area is around 320x320 ft large.. (~ 100mx100m) which is quite large, but not huge either. But standing there (in Blender), make it feels larger.

I love that original design. (I love mazes) but I don't think I'll be taking this any further. Too many ongoing projects, this one is going in the bin. :( Also the original image is too low resolution, and there's just not enough information to properly recreate it faithfully.. From that picture the floor plan is too disjointed; there areas that cannot be reached on foot etc. I don't know when the picture was taken, but I guess it was rather early in the process, and the level design was very much WIP... So it would require quite a bit of non-cannon redesign to work. And I'm not comfortable touching up someone else's work. Still, it would make for a fun little Uru Age if it worked..

Question : would someone be interested in turning this into a working Uru Age? I could share the Blender file.
Aloys

Re: Myst Selenetic Age original walking maze

Postby Sirius » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am

Looks awesome and very faithful to the original, congrats ! Would be really cool as an Uru Age.

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as you though - too many overdue projects, too little time to take on new ones :(
Sirius

Postby Semjay » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4986

It’s already been done by Karkadahn and is on the UAM and DI.
Semjay

Postby Aloys » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:03 am

Nice! I hadn't seen that. (then again it was almost 10 years ago, so I might just have forgotten. :lol: )
I'll have to check that out!
Ha well, then I don't suppose anyone will be interested in doing an Age that has pretty much already been done.
Aloys

Postby Maroonroon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:23 am

Hello;
I'm already busy with 11 areas, and will definitively have no time to spend in another project, sorry. ;)
Maroonroon

Return to Building