Am I thinking this right?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Am I thinking this right?

Postby andylegate » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:59 pm

the prp district textures files. One thing that can make it huge in size is the amount of times that a texture is used on the face of a mesh.

For example: A simple cube has 6 faces, so even if I UV map only 4 of the faces, with a 50kb texture, it will be 4 times that.
Likewise, if I have a mountain side that has over 5,000 faces that I UV map, then said texture is used 5,000 times, so the Prp file will be HUGE? Right?

Or am I wrong?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Am I thinking this right?

Postby Paradox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:11 pm

No.
The Textures.prp contains the actual image data. The mapping is only stored as points relative to the image data in a separate class along with the geometry.

If I have a 256*256 texture that I stretch over a huge landscape; the data in the .prp file will only contain the image data of the 256*256 texture (and smaller sizes due to mipmapping levels).
Paradox

Postby andylegate » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:24 pm

Hmmmmmm........

Trying to figure out why my file is over 27 MB then, for such a small Age. I do know that when I look in the TEX Cache folder, the TEX files in there are HUGE compared to the size of the actual texture file is.

For example, I've got a texture simply called gold. It's a JPG file that is 20 kb big. I use this texture for the 8 toruses that I have in my little age. They are not huge in size.

Yet the TEX file for gold (IE gold.jpg.tex) is over 2.7 MB big!!!!

What is doing this then?
andylegate

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:24 pm

Indeed. There is only one copy of every unique texture stored. Your textures prp will be the same size whether you map your texture to 6 faces on a cube or 72,000 faces on a complicated mesh or terrain.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Aloys » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 pm

(I replied to a similar question just a couple days ago but I don't find my post.. argh)

The size of the texture file you use before it is exported by blender/PyPRP doesn't matter. When PyPRP exports your age the texture may be compressed again or may not be depending on the export option you use. If you use "Export all as full Age" your texture will not be compressed, resulting in a big file even if your texture was small before. If you use "Generat Age Release" then your texture will be compressed and it will be of a much more reasonnable size. (but most likely it still will be bigger than a highly compressed jpg file; that is normal).

What matters is the dimensions of your texture; if it is large (for instance 1024x1024), then eventhough it is a tiny jpg file, the texture is huru will end up being heavy.
Aloys

Postby andylegate » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:44 am

Ah ha! Thanks Aloys! Now that one makes a lot of sense. One, my little Age was exported using Full Age.

Also, I noticed some of the textures vary, 800x600 or 300x300.

Is it better to use PNG format instead of JPG?
andylegate

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:46 am

I think I recall reading somewhere in the Programmers forum that it doesn't matter whether you use jpeg or png. But I could certainly be wrong...hm, I guess I'll go try to find out.
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:51 am

Well, I didn't see anything immediately. Have to wait for an expert to come along. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Trylon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:17 am

If the images have full opacity, it doesn't really matter, but you can only use png images if you want to use alpha values in your textures.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 am

Andy:

To reduce the size of your age to 25% of its original size (or more), try the "Generate Release" export option for PyPRP.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Next

Return to Building