Two textures, one object.

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Two textures, one object.

Postby andylegate » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:11 am

Okay, this is making me feel rather dumb.

I've got a sign, it's wood. Now I've got some great wood textures. I've taken one of them and using my paint shop program, added some words that look painted on. So, I've got a plain wood texture, and one with words painted on.

Now back to Blender. I've selected my object, a cube that's been squeezed down to make the dimensions of a sign, 3' x 2' x 1".

I go to UV map it, I've selected all the sides but the front and work my plain wood texture. Looks great. Then I select the front of the sign, marked my seems, selected just that UV face and mapped it with the painted wood texture.

Now, there we go. In Blender, I have a sign that's looks like wooden planks nailed together with words painted on one side.

Export Age, link in.........I've got a blank sign instead. my painted texture is missing.

Go back to Blender, nope, it's there, looks great. Looked at the tutorials, okay, well they don't talk too much about trying to apply more than one texture with UV mapping on one object.

So I come here to look and see a discussion about texturing the inside and outside of a cube.

Is that what I'm going to have to do? Flip the normal of that face, and make like a mesh plane for my painted texture and push it into the sign? Is it impossible to give objects more than one texture?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Two textures, one object.

Postby Trylon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:14 am

Mmh, you did have a material on your object, right?
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:17 am

Yah, selected a plain material and adjusted it so that my texture will show. What happens is that when I link in, the entire cube looks like the plain wood texture that's on the back and sides. I just want the front to have the painted version. They (the plain wood and painted wood are two different textures, two different JPG files)

EDIT: I had this problem with my little office Age I was doing. I think I just figured it out.

Blender doesn't mind me giving one object two different textures. The plugin for Uru on the other hand does. If I want to have one side of my sign painted, and the other not, I'm think i'm going to have to create a texture that's a single image that contains both, and map it that way.

No problem, just a pain is all.
andylegate

Postby Trylon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:29 am

Yeah, that indeed is a problem :)

Well, it shouldn't be in the next version of the plugin, but that one hasn't been tested yet :)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:51 am

Okay, it worked........looks great.

Here is what I did:

While I was reading your reply, it suddenly hit me. A memory of back when I was making maps for Call of Duty 2. The models in it, like the AI Bots (the solders), guns, tanks, etc, when you open up their textures in the editor, you see the whole thing splayed out. Like an orange peel. Like the tank, you'll see on the single picture the top of the tank, the right side, left side, front, back, etc, all on one image. That's because the texture is then mapped out on the object, the actual tank. So that's what I did. I took the front and back pictures of my sign, and put them on one jpg like this:

Then selected the mesh that was my sign and unwrapped the mesh.

Then by selecting individual faces, I was able to move them around on this single pic where I needed them. The result:

A sign that looks like it's suppose to in Blender and Uru now.

This is another area of the tutorials that could use some better explinations. You can make your object look like its suppose to with UV mapping, but you'll need to take your textures and place them on a single image, then show how to move the mapping around.
The one you did Trylon is good, but it doesn't offer an explination about what I just said if it's a single object. The road guard you did, is made up of more than one object. People who are starting out are going to want to know something more basic, like the inner and outer sides of a wall. The less objects placed in the map, the smaller the memory size and the smoother the Age will run.

Okay, gotta jet an work some more on this.
andylegate

Return to Building