HELP NEEDED: Testers wanted

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

HELP NEEDED: Testers wanted

Postby boblishman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:38 am

Paah'kwehNew

I was wondering if someone would test Paah'kwehNew ... (my version 2 of Paah'kweh).

(oh, btw, I received my FCA licence within 24 hours also! ... so its a good time to apply for one!)

I'm not uploading this version to the ULM just yet (I need to discover how to add new versions ... all very complicated to me....and not sure if it's working correctly....or if I should make new versions totally stand alone with new Sequence Prefixes....etc, etc)...

This version DOES have a NEW Sequence Prefix (and name) .... so it can co-exist with the original Paah'kweh if you've got that installed (so no need to remove it).

The files and installation instructions are here... (only a 7.4MB download now..... phew!)

Paah'kwehNew Files and Installation instructions

What I want to check is that it's all working properly... basically because:

1) There is a new journal to be found in the underground room that has (should have) 'sketches'.
These are transparant .png files that I have incorporated into the journal to look like sketches by the author

2) The files are now compressed (except for the sketches - see the tutorial) using the 'General Release (.age)' export option, and I want to make sure the textures look ok on your machine (particularly the sky. I know that the volcanic background is 'fuzzy' .... I'm still working on making a better graphic for that ... (- hint, hint, to any great graphic artists that would like to help me out there :))

3) There is a new 'drawbridge' when you first arrive.... just push it over ... now, do you 'stick' to it when you run across?

The file available for download is a .zip file and contains all the .prp & .pak files.

(I have also tried GZipping all the files seperately (getting ready for release) and this has brought the texture.prp size down even further (from a whopping 63MB when exported as a 'Full Age' .... to an amazing 5.17MB as a .gz zipped file!.)

If this new version of Paah'kweh works correctly, then I plan to remove the original one from the ULM and upload this one in it's place ... unless someone would explain clearly how to upload multiple versions... (I have read the Alcugs page...but it just confuses me)... and how to stop them "interfering" with my latest 'local' version when I use the ULM to download other Ages... :(

I'd be really gratefull for anyone's help ..... :)

Thanks,

Bob
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Re: HELP NEEDED: Testers wanted

Postby Trylon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:13 pm

For testing, we have the guidl of maintainers :P
I think Andy and Monty and their gang would love to be the first ones in the new version. :D
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Absolutely! We even make space for it over on our forum, so you can read everyone's comments and observations about your Age.
You don't have to register in our forum to read them. You can just visit if you want.

If you upload your new version and mirror it to ulm.hbyt.net just let us know and we'll make sure the ULM database that we have get's updated to. You'll have about 12 or more of us jump in and take a look at your new version.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby BAD » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:51 pm

Awesome! :D
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby boblishman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:02 pm

ok guys....it's in the ULM Libraries (both the GoMa's and the ulm.hbyte.net) ... don't expect a LOT... there's not a huge amount of new content (sound familiar....lol)
Last edited by boblishman on Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
boblishman

Postby Lontahv » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:29 am

Ok, I downloaded your age an played around with it a bit and I have a question and a issue.
First the question: What is that book that says "you don't have this age installed"?
Issue: I ran around a bit an felt kind of sick because the camera lens kept changing. First it was ok then it was almost orthographic then it was fish-eye etc.
Overall impression: I like the vertex shadows and, on the whole a very nice age. :)

EDIT: I was looking at your .pak file when I noticed that in both scripts you import all from the UruAgeManger. What if someone doesn't have the UAM? I suggest that if your importing from there for defined things, just copy the stuff you want from the UAM .pak to your .pak, and if you can't do that because you can't steal Dustin's stuff then define your own stuff. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Trylon » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:28 am

Lontahv wrote:EDIT: I was looking at your .pak file when I noticed that in both scripts you import all from the UruAgeManger. What if someone doesn't have the UAM? I suggest that if your importing from there for defined things, just copy the stuff you want from the UAM .pak to your .pak, and if you can't do that because you can't steal Dustin's stuff then define your own stuff. :)

Well, technically ULM includes the UAM api.
However I always emphasize that this support is just legacy. It is neither maintained nor guaranteed to continue!
Lontahv's comment is thus pretty valid.

I do think it might be needed to write a generic "GuildOfWriters" API of some sort in the future.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby boblishman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:11 am

Lontahv wrote: Ok, I downloaded your age an played around with it a bit and I have a question and a issue.
First the question: What is that book that says "you don't have this age installed"?

That's a linking book to a new age I am working on... once that age is uploaded (and you download it with the ULM) you will be able to link there. (It's in its very early stage so don't expect it for some time though...)

Lontahv wrote: Issue: I ran around a bit an felt kind of sick because the camera lens kept changing. First it was ok then it was almost orthographic then it was fish-eye etc.

I agree, the 'swinging' camera thing is not good.... does anyone know how to make the camerea "cut" from one to another, rather than "swing" ... I'd love to be able to do that

Overall impression: I like the vertex shadows and, on the whole a very nice age. :)

Thanks, as a newbie a little encouragement means a lot! Much appreciated!

I was looking at your .pak file when I noticed that in both scripts you import all from the UruAgeManger. What if someone doesn't have the UAM? I suggest that if your importing from there for defined things, just copy the stuff you want from the UAM .pak to your .pak, and if you can't do that because you can't steal Dustin's stuff then define your own stuff. :)

Well, (as I cannot code) at the moment this is the only method I have access to in order to create Journals and Linking books. If someone would be able to help me with the coding then I would be eternally grateful ... but until that happenes, I'll have to go with this 'old' method (as it's the only tutorial available).

As Trylon says, the UAM is still currently included in the ULM Client, so I guess that (until it's removed in a future release) it should continue to work.

I do hope though, that before it is removed, we can be given a tutorial to impliment another way of creating linking books and Journals... although my ideal situation would be to have a coder who would be prepared to work along with me to create jointly produced ages ... :)
boblishman

Postby Lontahv » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:24 pm

I can help with the coding Bob. :) I know quite a bit about plasma and am making an adminKI type thing right now for CC. And about the cameras: it's not the swinging it's the FOV and lens parameters that keep changing that make it bad(the camera lens settings in blender DOES affect the camera lens in uru). :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby boblishman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:56 pm

Lontahv wrote:I can help with the coding Bob. :)

you have no idea how happy this makes me.... :D :D :D ... I've pm'd you with some details about me... hope to hear from you soon.
boblishman

Return to Building