Problem: Uru Crashes After I Open My Age

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Problem: Uru Crashes After I Open My Age

Postby Chacal » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:17 pm

Too late. I reserved them all.
Contact me if wou want one, I'm sure we can agree on a price.
:D
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:43 pm

There are more ages than those released through ULM. The full list of reserved sequence prefixes is here: http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php ... cePrefixes
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Trylon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:49 pm

True, for compatibility with that list, ULM gives out only sequence numbers above 10000.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:51 pm

Okay, I checked my prefix; it's still 4502, and I doubt that it's used by anyone else since I reserved it on the Alcugs Wiki and my Age worked with it before.
I also checked on Pages 0, -1, and -2, and all appears happy.
Layer two--so that's where the the link-in point is placed! I was wondering where it was...Well now I know. :D And it appears that the original link-in point I had was not deleted, so I have had two link-in points since then. I just deleted one of them, tried Uru again, and the same thing happens in which I crash to desktop with no error message. The link-in point remaining appears to be in a valid location, hovering in the air above the grid. I have flymode downloaded in zip mode, but I don't remember ever unzipping and installing it, and it appears from the files which I see after searching my hard drive that I never did install it. Well, I guess I'll try uninstalling the ULM next. Thanks again for your help, Andy; and you don't sound condescending at all--I LIKE detailed explanations! :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Oh yes, and if anyone else has a clue about how to fix this, I'd love to hear it now rather than later--see, my Age is a project for school and I'm presenting it to my class on Thursday. Although I've explained to my teacher that I might just have to show them my Blender renders and forget about a demonstration of Uru and the ULM due to this error and it shouldn't affect my grade, I'd still enjoy getting the chance to show them the Age in Uru instead of merely in the Blender window.
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:23 am

Oh happy days are here agaaaaaiiiinnn!!
Uru is loading my Age again, yippee! For anyone else who may have this problem in the future, here's what I did:
Seeking to follow Andy's advice on uninstalling and reinstalling ULM, I searched for the Uninstall option in the Start menu with Uru Library Manager. Nothing there. So, figuring I must have decided not to include a Start menu uninstall option during installation, I tried reinstalling the ULM over again using the same installation program that I had used to install it originally, hoping that I would be able to get the Uninstall option this time around.
Meanwhile, I had deleted all my geometry in Blender and replaced it with a simple grid. And after doing what I mentioned above, I decided to do an export to see if anything I had done might have possibly fixed the problem. And viola, problem gone! /cheer!
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:34 am

I'm actually relieved you saved your work. Your assignment is most interesting.
I recommend saving incremental versions, so you don't always overwrite old versions with newer ones.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:12 am

Thank you; a very good idea.
Jennifer_P

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:22 am

Jennifer_P wrote:I searched for the Uninstall option in the Start menu with Uru Library Manager. Nothing there. So, figuring I must have decided not to include a Start menu uninstall option during installation

Just a general observation, but many modern programs choose not clutter the Start menu with uninstall icons. You will find uninstall options in the "Add or Remove Programs" section of the Windows Control Panel where they belong IMO.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Previous

Return to Building