Ahra Pahts shell objects

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Ahra Pahts shell objects

Postby Goofy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:37 pm

Lately I've been messing around with what I wanted to put into my shell in Ahra Pahts. Well sinces it seems I change my mind every few seconds I started messing around and made this Image

Its a work in progress and as you can see I'm having some issues in places. The back ground is just something I put in instead of just a blue background. I was thinking of putting a small roof on it, but I'm having problems getting the scale and angles right.

Really could use some hints/tips to fix some of the issues I'm having. One I'm sure you can see near the lights(thats the sphere thingys ;) ) Also on the left side the faces are out of wack. I added some things to that area and it messed everything up. Smoothing it or adding subdivisions messes it up aswell. Kinda anoying. :?

Oh forgot to add how does one create lights like the ones in the city or hoods with the flare
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Re: Ahra Pahts shell objects

Postby andylegate » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Looks very nice actually......

Uhm,,,,what is it??
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Goofy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:08 am

well its either going to be a water element(different type of fountain) with water flowing down the glass or a viewer or both. I haven't figured out that part yet. First thing I need to do is figure out how to do either of those and that takes a while for me. Now that I think about it that back ground looks fake and that gives me another idea ;) :roll: Kinda looks like a painting
We keep moving forward,

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby andylegate » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 pm

It looks cool IMO. For some reason it reminds me of a large gong or chime.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:42 am

Goofy:

I'm not sure I see what's the problem with the lights. Did you want them to glow?

The dark areas on the left are either due to the vertex normals not pointing where you want them, or that the vertices were "painted" dark. You can enable the display of vertex normals while in edit mode; using the "Rip" vertex option will split a vertex on a right-angled edge so that you get two normals: one for each side. And you can force all the vertices to be white by switching to Vertex Paint mode, clicking the Editing button (or press F9), then setting the Paint color to white and pressing the "Set VertCol" button.

Regarding the city halos: Aloys used sprites to achieve that affect. To learn how to add them to your age, check out the sprite tutorial.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Goofy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:16 pm

well atm thats really not my biggest problem and thats getting the same effect with UVmapping. I've been messing around with it and I lose the glass effect and alot of depth in the fountain/imager (sorry can decide ;) ). Basicly it just doesnt look right or the same as the above picture.

Also its not just the pyprp export that ignores things in blender. I tried to export it to 3ds and got the simular results. To bad theres no universal exporter. :roll: Oh and yes robert I wanted the lights to glow
We keep moving forward,

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Return to Building