Have I followed the texturing tutorial correctly?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Have I followed the texturing tutorial correctly?

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:21 am

Soo... I was just following the tutorial here (http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/AgeTexture#UV_Mapping), in particular the part about Adding Textures to Your Age. Everything seems to have gone *alright,* the only oddities being that:
1. My objects are a monolithic gray in Uru instead of having an asphalt texture. (Probably happened just because I didn't use a cube)
2. My UV/Image Editor window display is blue with a faint asphalt behind it instead looking like pure asphalt or a grid as the tutorial described.
So I thought this would be a good time to make sure I've correctly completed the section of this tutorial about adding one's first texture (especially as I strongly suspect the tutorial might be out of date).

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Would you mind just looking and telling me if everything checks out alright? And can you explain what's up with the blue texture screen? I'm kind of puzzled by what significance that has. Image

FInally, the tutorial says, "If you look at the UV/Image Editor window, you will now probably see one square or triangle (maybe two triangles) stretched to 3 or 4 edges of your texture." I'm pretty sure that they're referring to my situation, in which you've just put a texture onto your object but haven't altered or done any mapping on it yet. So when they talk about seeing one square or one or two triangles stretched to 3 or 4 edges of your texture, are they referring to that blue window in the upper right of the screenshot that has a square divided diagonally into two triangles? (Yeah, it doesn't look like a square in the picture, but if you zoom out it looks like a perfect square divided like diagonally cut sandwich.)

Well, I'll continue playing with the textures and see if I can't figure out what's up. Thanks for checking me. :geek:
Jennifer_P

Re: Have I followed the texturing tutorial correctly?

Postby Chacal » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:49 am

I get the asphalt texture in the UV / Image editor at the right.
The first time I tried it last month I got problems too, I did it again carefully following instructions and got it right. I had forgotten to go into Edit mode or something.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby andylegate » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:12 am

okay, take a look at the pic you posted......

See in the menu where it says UV Face Select? Look at the button to the right of it. You have it sitting on Shadded. If you want to see textures in the 3D window, click on that button and select Textured.

Next, that's a complicated object you have selected in the 3D window. You are going to want to "Unwrap" it so that you can texture the faces correctly. In the pic, you have all faces selected, that's good.
Now move your mouse over it and hit the "U" key. A menu will pop up with Unwrapping options.
I would choose the menu item on the bottom, which says something like "Unwrap smart" or something like that. Another menu will pop up, simply click on OK on that one.
You faces in the window on the right will change.

If you are still not seeing the texture in your UV mapping window, click on the big X next to your image selected in the menu there. Then open the image again, you should see it now.

Treat the Vertex in that window like you would in the 3D window, you can select them and move them around. Scale them, etc. You can also just select one face at a time by clicking on that face in the 3D window.

Have fun!
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Aloys » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 am

About the fact that your UV/Image window displays all your stuff as blue that's because it draws the faces of the object that are selected as blue. And because currently all the faces of your object are selectec it's all blue; that's all.
To get rid of it: Go to the 'View' menu and uncheck 'Draw Faces'.
Aloys

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 pm

Ah, thank you! That really clears things up. And now I've learned 3 new features too. :) I think I'll take a shot at updating the wiki to reflect the changes to UKEY when I get some time.
Jennifer_P

Return to Building