The rock that won't go away.....

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

The rock that won't go away.....

Postby andylegate » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Okay, got a strange bug here that has got me clueless....

Sometime after putting some boulders in my training Age, I ended up with one in the sky. Now here's the thing, it only shows up for me to see when I've exported the Age and link in. There it is, a 10 foot wide boulder (no textures on it) floating about 20 feet in the air.

Now, if this were over in the training side, I'd simply keep it as one of the bugs for someone to find, but it's over in what I call the Staff area, and it's quite annoying...

I can't find it in blender. I've looked through every layer, and even slowly selected each and every object and hid it from view until there is nothing left, and still I don't see this "Ghost" rock floating in the air.

I've saved over the blend file a countless number of times, and have exported it many times as I simply left the rock and moved on to work on other things.

Any idea on how to find it so I can get rid of it? A screen shot won't really help you as I just said, it's a texturless rock floating in the air, but it shows up no where in my blend file.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: The rock that won't go away.....

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:10 pm

Did you re-import your age at some point? If you did then you should delete the directory structure with the raw prp objects.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:15 pm

exported it yes, but no, I've not imported it ever.
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 pm

I know what's wrong--you have another blender "Scene" just take a look. :) After you do that you have to pack and then unpack your textures. That should fix your problem. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Trylon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:53 am

I was thinking the same as lontahv.

Pyprp just takes ever object regardless of scene.
Objects can appear in a different scene by importing an object from another blend file. That usually puts it in both the current scene, and in a new scene.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Lontahv » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:22 am

Well, I'm not conjecturing--It's happened to me. :) It is a truly weird bug, with the packing and unpacking the texture. :lol:
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby andylegate » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:49 am

Okay, let me get this right.....

I DID import a blender file into my Age. I made some of my rocks and then saved them as a blend file. Then later imported them (but I didn't texture them until they were imported).
So some how I got this bug by doing that (but it doesn't happen all the time?).

To make the floating rock go away....I have to pack and then unpack my textures? Then save the blend file and export it again?
andylegate

Postby Goofy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:02 am

You could also split the 3d screen and then open the outliner. Its the one with the upside down pyramid. If you have more then one scene it will show them, also it should show you every object thats in the both scenes.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Paradox » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:07 am

You imported a .blend file?

That will create a new scene and place all of the objects from that .blend into both scenes. (useless behaviour IMO, but something that just happens and that just needs to be resolved.) PyPRP will export all objects in all scenes (another things that I consider pointless, but I see where it could be useful for working on separate areas of an Age).

Just delete the other scene and you'll be fine :)
Paradox

Postby andylegate » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:02 pm

AH HA!!!

That was it! I found the ghost rock in another scene!

Okay, I deleted it from the 2nd scene....but how do you delete a scene period? It's empty now, but I was wondering.....

This might be something that others need to know too.

EDIT: Never mind! Duh, look up and click on the big X where it said Scene.001 ....got it.
andylegate

Return to Building