Suggestions for PrpExplorer

Announcements and discussion regarding the open source tools Plasma# tool set and PRP Explorer (Legacy)

Suggestions for PrpExplorer

Postby Chacal » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 am

Here are a few suggestions for Hoikas and Paradox:

- Automatically change the PageID of objects on import
- A better list editor, with the possibility of deleting a reference from anywhere in the list (not just the last one). Also fix weird intermittent display bug when adding a reference, sometimes the new ref appears at the very bottom of the screen.
- A "Delete cascade" function that would delete the selected object along with all its children including the relevant mesh group in DrawableSpan.
- An editor for DrawableSpans and Physicals.
- Automatically update the Age checksum.
- Command-line options for batch operations (Maybe this could open only a text window). Examples:
Code: Select all
Huru.exe -import -u I:\Games\Uru -a city -p kahlopub -f d:\data\Uru\edit\ph_KpWallsCollision.uof
Huru.exe -delete -u I:\Games\Uru -a city -p kahlopub -t SimulationInterface -n KpWallsCollision
Huru.exe -export -u I:\Games\Uru -a city -p kahlopub -t SimulationInterface -n KpWallsCollision -f d:\data\Uru\edit\si_KpWallsCollision.uof

- A hex editor with insert mode and copy/paste.
- Configuration saved in a text file.
- "Set PRP folder" should remember the last location (browser opens there).
- "Set PRP folder" should remember the last n locations, similar to recent files in some applications. Or, favorites.
- Myst V support.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Re: Suggestions for PrpExplorer

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 am

Chacal wrote:- A hex editor with insert mode and copy/paste.

Make that a hex editor that can invert bits. This is an indispensable option when fooling around with prp files. Oh, and perhaps a string replace function that correctly adapts the byte which stores the length of the string. :)

And as already mentioned on COBBS:
- Write registry settings somewhere else than the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- PyPRP config expects Blender and the plugin in the default C:\Program Files... path and it is not possible to change the path.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Chacal » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:01 pm

D'Lanor wrote:Make that a hex editor that can invert bits. This is an indispensable option when fooling around with prp files. Oh, and perhaps a string replace function that correctly adapts the byte which stores the length of the string. :)

Oh yes, absolutely. I use XVI32 2.51 myself, it lets you write scripts. I wrote a script that inverts bits, but I have to enter the start location and the length manually.

D'Lanor wrote:And as already mentioned on COBBS:
- Write registry settings somewhere else than the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- PyPRP config expects Blender and the plugin in the default C:\Program Files... path and it is not possible to change the path.

I agree. Better yet, forget the stupid registry entirely.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Since you guys are on my butt so much, I'll let you in on a not so secret secret.

PRP Explorer is a load of mess (I probably could use another word starting with "s" here) inside. It's an insane spider-web of hacked together crap... It's so bad that trying to add new features or fix bugs is a royal pain in the butt. Considering its history, that's not entirely unexpected. (PRPExplorer was never intended to last this long. It was meant to be a proof-of-concept for new Uru editors).

Now that I've said that, I'm going to tell you about a decision that I made to myself in late December.

As the current PRPExplorer lead developer (Paradox is now currently working on H'uru Studio and PyPRP), I decided that PRPExplorer is a tool of the past, designed with ideas from the past, knowledge from the past, etc... A lot has changed since PRPExplorer was originally developed. So, I decided that there needs to be a new tool with "PRPExplorer-like" functionality but can do more. So, over the past month I've been working on that tool.

It's still undergoing some rather intense development, and school is now making it harder to develop on it as much as I would like to (not to mention how I'm actually trying to build an age... I try to do too much.)

O.o That came out as a huge advert, didn't it? Whatever, at least you know why PRPExplorer isn't receiving many updates.

Now, to address a few things about PRPExplorer:

Automatically change the PageID of objects on import - PRPEx handles PageIDs in an ugly way. I would rather not touch that. (I've already tried to fix something like this... And well, can you say *boom*?)

A better list editor, with the possibility of deleting a reference from anywhere in the list (not just the last one). Also fix weird intermittent display bug when adding a reference, sometimes the new ref appears at the very bottom of the screen.[/i] - The Windows Form Controls that PRPEx uses are *very* finicky. No promises.

A "Delete cascade" function that would delete the selected object along with all its children including the relevant mesh group in DrawableSpan. - A good idea... Would require a good bit of sanity code and code to actually make it happen.

An editor for DrawableSpans and Physicals - This is where I say that the new tool will be what you want to use. It supports plDrawableSpans correctly. PRPExplorer uses a massive hack to display them. plHKPhysical is currently 90% known. 10% Unknown... According to the latest docs.

Automatically update the Age checksum. - The next rainy day, I'll see about it

Command-line options for batch operations - Good idea. I'll have to see if I can write a quick hack (how appropriate) for it.

A hex editor with insert mode and copy/paste. - I wouldn't touch the current hex editor with a ten foot poll

Configuration saved in a text file. - You know, how the original developers made sense of the current configuration code escapes me. So does the current configuration code.

"Set PRP folder" should remember the last location (browser opens there). - Agreed. Next time I open the PRPEx source code.

"Set PRP folder" should remember the last n locations, similar to recent files in some applications. Or, favorites. - Now we're getting a bit ambitious :P. Perhaps a project for a rainy day.

Myst V support - Not to sound smart or anything, but hell will freeze over before PRPEx I add M5 support. The new tool supports Uru, MOUL, Myst 5, and Hex Isle though, so when it comes out, you'll get that wish.

Write registry settings somewhere else than the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER. - You're adamant about that. It'll be in the next release.

PyPRP config expects Blender and the plugin in the default C:\Program Files... path and it is not possible to change the path. - I'll try to add an autodetection for the alcconfig.py file and an alternate "Please select the path." browser the next time I open the source.

I think that covers everything.
Last edited by Tsar Hoikas on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I apparently have more than one butt... (TYPO)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby andylegate » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:39 pm

It's an insane spider-web of hacked together crap...

ROFL!!!!!!

Man I had to wipe my eyes as I was laughing so hard, tears were coming out!

I heard that EXACT statement from a fellow engineer while working on some cable equipment that was built by Magnovox, years ago (Magnovox was bought out by Philips, who's cable division was then bought out by CCOR, who owns it all now). It was a nasty attempt at a fiber optic node.....and what you said above, is exactly what it was! hehehehe
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi Adam,
Nice to hear from you.
Actually, if you're working on a new tool, don't waste time on UruExplorer. It's the functionality I'm after, if it's implemented by a better tool then I'm good with that. I'm in no particular hurry, since I can still work with the current tool until the new one is ready.

Oh, and school first, of course.

Hoikas wrote:PRPEx handles PageIDs in an ugly way. I would rather not touch that.

If it's doing a search-and-replace, then it's ugly indeed. This has to follow the data structure.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Plasma#