That's all, folks

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: That's all, folks

Postby BAD » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Nek'rahm,

There is no need to change the structure of the guild system right now. Some of the guilds may not survive whatever is going on. We can make some plans, but for the most part, we are sitting and waiting while this all plays out.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Trylon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 pm

Meanwhile, we have to keep our momentum going - even getting new people to join - if we don't do that, it will become harder to restart later on.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Nynaveve » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:47 pm

I guess I'll make my first post on this forum. :) I'm sitting here reading the GoMa, GoW, and MO:UL forums all day instead of working. :? Hope my boss doesn't walk by...

I don't think we should consider resurrecting UU, but rather, as its been mentioned by Calam and JWPlatt on the MO:UL boards, AU, (After Uru) or RU (Return to Uru). I rather like the second one (RU), as it plays off the name more (uRU). But regardless, why would we want UU2 when it was so painfully ripped away the first time? Here is Calam's post, since he summed it up so eloquently...

Calam wrote:UU wasn't ideal. To mimic JWPlatt's wonderful idea...

Let's do RU. Return to Uru. And... Cyan, Gametap, and the lawyers willing...we might have a chance to add our own content and story.

I see this as the mother bird pushing the baby bird out of the nest. We can fall to the ground, limp around for a while, and eventually die and rot in another UU incarnation with no hope or future...

Or we can try to fly.

Not only will we be able to play Uru, but we can add our own Ages, which is what we've been wanting all along. And in a multiplayer environment, nonetheless.

In regards to getting more people to join the Guilds, that is almost happening by itself. In the last 24 hours, the GoMa has seen 4 new recruits (as opposed to 4 in a month), all because of the announcement. People need a place to go where they will still have community and will still feel welcome. I truly believe this is why Cyan was pushing the idea of the Guilds so hard this entire time: they were forcing us to band together so when this finally dropped, we wouldn't have the rug completely yanked out from under us.

As cruel as this sounds, people are ripe for joining Guilds right now. Get out there and let people know they can still have a home and a community based on Uru, even after the cavern's last light has gone out. And more than that, we need to make sure the GoG and GoMe have a place to go... as they are not so much self-sufficient as the GoMa is with the GoW.

Anywho, that's my thoughts for the time being... sorry if some of this is repetitive. :) Thanks for listening to my rambling.
Guild of Maintainers Webmystress and Grand Master

Nynaveve

Postby BAD » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes we should keep working. That is not even a question. Something will come out of this. I am sure it will be more than just offline play too.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Marcello » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:59 pm

I think Chacal sums it up nicely. (I have tried to post here all day, but at work connection to the internet was really bad).

Tweeks comment does make me curious. Remember that if Cyan has something up their sleave, small even, then they will have to anounce something before the 60 days end and have people convert or whatever, before that. Like I'm reading here... momentum is key.

I'm impressed by everyone wanting to keep things going! An amazing feeling to see what this game has done to us. I'm still disappointed, but the prospect of working here on ages, helping the devs and seeing cool things surface is something I'm looking forward too.

Personally I somehow think there might be a special life for UrU as a cult game or something. Haven't we been an underground community all these years... being in the cavern and all ;)..... maybe UrU can even grow more than it has ever done with another status and another means of promoting it. Sometimes a different context can make all the difference and can make something more exciting and make people join in.
Marcello

Postby Nek'rahm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:29 pm

I understand Bad, I was just saying it could be an idea for later on...

Right now though, I completely understand that we have to keep working on our Ages.
Nek'rahm

Postby Tweek » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:14 pm

Just a note, a Guild of Fine Artists is in the works (has been for some time).
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Nek'rahm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Okay... good to know
Nek'rahm

Postby Chacal » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:33 pm

Trylon wrote:Meanwhile, we have to keep our momentum going - even getting new people to join - if we don't do that, it will become harder to restart later on.

Given that the initial shock will be followed by days of emptiness, we have to fill the empty space before people leave.

I have 3 suggestions:

1- What if I published my "Opening the cavern" challenge on the MOUL forum? I'm sure a significant portion of readers have the single-player version, and even for those who don't, seeing pictures of what can be done may be enough to keep them interested, and more importantly show them how easily we can modify Uru. Even better, putting a link to the challenge here could possibly make the GoW a reality for new people, and perhaps they would join.

2- We should also, of course, do the same for the Ages in development here. I suggest those who have an Age gather up a picture gallery of good screenshots, ending with a "If you're interested in learning ..." part.
These could be published in the showcase subforums or in the dev journals, and there should be a link to them in a sticky in the general discussions.

3- The GoW portal should be oriented more towards the general public, with the current status of development for tools and Ages in its news section, along with a link to the above-mentioned galleries. The focus should be "this is how far we've gone towards Uru 2".

4- I also have an idea for a quick collaborative Age that I found here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation ... pic=1101.0
This would be fascinating to do in Blender. A sort of mini-AhraPahts where you would complete a small part of a small Age. Look it up!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Grogyan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:39 pm

I agree with Chacal, we should have a web page collage of screenshots of Ages that we are working on, most of us here are working on a "test" age with npothing specific in mind, but surely those can be good enough to put in to a collage.

Post that collage within say 30 days with a link on the urulive forums
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion