Recommendations for a new high-end PC?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Recommendations for a new high-end PC?

Postby Tinuviel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:15 am

HELP!!! :)

Last night I put in an order for dell xps M1530. And what do you think happened? To day we got some good offers at work for cheap laptops...... And now I am a bit unsure what to choose. Could some of you experts please help me?
The one I ordered from dell:
XPS TM M1530 (N03X5305)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-prosessor T7500 (2,20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-buffer) Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Memory: 4096 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 2048]
Grafics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT med 256 MB dedikert grafikkminne
Harddrive: 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
Fast 8x DVD+/-RW
LCD 15,4" Widescreenâ„¢ WXGA (1280x800) TFT-skjerm (220 nit) med TrueLifeâ„¢

Then we have FSC Amolo Xi2550-32 17" WUXGA
intelcore2duo T9300
4GB DDR2(2*2048 MB, 667 Mhz)
2*320 GB SATA 5400 rpm HDD
1GB Intel Turbo memory
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2700 256MB GDDR3

And
HP dv9885 (no975) 17"WXGA
Intel core 2 duo processor T9300
4GB DDR2 667 MHz memory
640GB SATA HDD 5400 rpm harddrive
NVIDIA geForce 8600 GS, 512 mb
Otical blue ray player

The best part about the offers from work is that the price is just the same as (actually a bit lower) as the Dell, We also get office 2007, 3 years insurance, support and waranty (Not sure if thats the correct english word...)

I'm so angry right now:-)
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Chacal » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:09 pm

I'd go with the HP, but you have to realize this will always happen. You'll cancel the order, buy the HP, and in a few days you'll see an ad for a more powerful one at a cheaper price.
Get used to the fact your shiny new PC will be obsolete in about a week.
Get aware that you'll still be able to enjoy it for several years without problems.
I've been using mine 10 hours a day for 7 years and only now do I feel a real need to change.

Well yeah over the 7 years it's got new memory, several new hard disks, a new power supply, a new graphics card, a new sound card, a new CD writer, a new DVD writer, 3 new keyboards, 4 new mice and 4 new monitors, but you know what I mean.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tinuviel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for replying Chacal! Yes I know it will be obsolete in a short time, I just want to get as much as possible for my money right now:-) The HP was my choise too, but since I have too little knowledge of this, I really value your opinion. And since I have to wait two months before I get it, it really will be obsolete:-)I have FS right now and it have ATI (whitch seems to have a problem with Blender) and it makes a lot of noise. Other than that it has been perfect for me these last 3 years. And without Blender I would still keep it. But I really want to have a go at making ages, and with this one it's to much wait time. As I said before, thats not my one of my stongest sides to put it mildly.
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion