Recommendations for a new high-end PC?

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Recommendations for a new high-end PC?

Postby tachyon'ni » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 pm

This is a lot of terrific information! Thank you all. My team is just putting together some hardware systems for game design one step beyond what we had with MOUL. I'll be doing the assembly for our hardware, and that seems easily decided now!

Any suggestions as to the software we need to have on board. Price IS an object, but performance comes first and then we'll argue about what we can afford to spend....
tachyon'ni

Postby Nek'rahm » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm

My bro is giving me a huge high-end one that he built after he builds his second one.

I'll post its specs when I get it, kay?

EDIT: It's a computer built for Engineering Software, Custom Programs and Gaming
Nek'rahm

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:24 pm

If you want to go the laptop route AND case aesthetics are your thing, take a look at the m15x from AlienWare. Glowing keys and touchpad, 2.8-GHz Core II Extreme, and GeForce 8800MGTX graphics card.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Nynaveve » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:If you want to go the laptop route AND case aesthetics are your thing, take a look at the m15x from AlienWare. Glowing keys and touchpad, 2.8-GHz Core II Extreme, and GeForce 8800MGTX graphics card.

Wow, that's BOMB! I love the blue glow on the keys and mousepad (my desktop case at home has the blue glow on it as well). A lit keyboard is a fantastic idea on a laptop. And that sucker is loaded. Makes mine look lame (just upgraded a couple months ago, too)... but hey, it suffices for what I need. :D I'm an amateur for most stuff, so I don't need gobs of memory, video, and processor. But it sure makes a difference. The dual core for Blender is verrrrry nice.
Guild of Maintainers Webmystress and Grand Master

Nynaveve

Postby Tobyas » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 am

Chacal wrote:I tried and tried, but I still can't understand the idea of case esthetics. It is just beyond me I guess. A case is used to hold the parts together, help with airflow and keep the cat out. It lives under the desk with the cables and the dust bunnies.

Case esthetics is all about the LAN parties and/or house parties.
Tobyas

Postby Tinuviel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:17 am

This is it! I'm bying a new PC even though I can't aford it. I can't build one on my own, so I'm just going to by one ready to go.:-) Can someone take the time and see if one of my choices is something worth going for? I was thinking of Dell XPS M1330. (I want laptop) Specs is:
Prosessor
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)
Operativsystem
Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate - Norwegian - PRODUCT RED
Monitor
13,3" UltraSharpâ„¢ WXGA (1280 x 800) CCFL-skjerm (220 nit) with TrueLifeâ„¢
Grafics
128 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS
Memory
3072 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]
Harddisker
250 GB (5400 rpm) SATA-harddisk

or Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xi 2550-22P - Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHz - 17" TFT
Plattformtecnologi Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista-sertifisering Windows Vista Premium Ready
Prosessor Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 / 2.4 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Cache-minne 4 MB - L2 Cache
RAM 2 GB (instaled) / 4 GB (maks.) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300 ( 2 x 1 GB )
Systemflashmemory Intel Turbo Memory (1 GB)
Harddisk 250 GB - Serial ATA-150
Harddisk (nr. 2) 250 GB - Serial ATA-150
Skjerm 17" TFT 1920 x 1200 ( WUXGA )
Grafikk-controller ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2700 - 256 MB
HyperMemory up to 767 MB
Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.0
NIC Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Notebook-kamera Integrert - 1,3 Megapiksler
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:55 am

Depends on what you want to do with it. Is this for work or for gaming? Will you be playing lots of 3D games?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tinuviel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Games off course, but mainly Myst and ages made here:-) And I want my Blender to function properly. Now it get slow when I have been working for a while and have a big mesh. Thats the major reasons for wanting a new laptop. (I have a patience as big as a dustballs brain. Having to wait a few seconds because of lag or between me selecting an object in blender and the object actually getting selected, have made a few dents on my ceiling.)
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:53 pm

I'd go with the second one, but I'm not sure why you want a laptop for doing a job that really belongs on a desktop.
For 3D work, the larger the screen the better, so I'd go with the 17" monitor, because 13/ is unworkable. On the other hand, you could go with the 13" for portability, and add an external LCD (as big as you can afford).
For action games, you'll never get as good a performance with a laptop than with a desktop (at equal CPU specs).
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tinuviel » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I know a laptop is not as good as a desktop, but I have been so happy with my current one:-) And it have served me well so far. (that is, until Blender bacame a part of my life) Good point about the screen. Forgot about that :roll: Silly me. And I guess I can still bring it with me even if it is slightly bigger
Better start playing hide and seek with my monney an see if I can find some hiding under my sofa.....
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion