Taking a Break.....

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Taking a Break.....

Postby andylegate » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know, I'm going to be taking a break for a day or two. I've got my upgrade parts for my and my wife's computer coming in, most likely tomorrow, and that involves MAJOR surgery for me (since I basically replacing their BRAINS), and getting it all set up back to working order.

I'm also taking some time off to just play some games. I already finished CSI: Hard Evidence.....was fun, but, too short, only took me 3 days, and I was limiting my self to 2 cases a day, with ALL the assistance turned off......sigh......guess a good friend of mine was right, should have been a detective......

But now I'm fixing to dive into a game that I haven't played in YEARS but I really enjoyed when I did play it (back in 1998 I believe) and that is Zork: Nemesis. I just loved the graphics in this one (all though it was a bit dark).

I'll resurface in a day or two.....If I make it out of the Asylum alive....hehehehe....
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Taking a Break.....

Postby Kato » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 pm

Hard Evidence was good, but it kinda lacked the magic that 3 Dimensions of Murder had. I didn't even finish it. It has a lot of pixel hunting and similar stuff--stuff that isn't big enough to see or otherwise not pointed out clearly enough.

But, hey, it's a new entry in the adventure game genre with good voice talents and a decent story--more than can be said for most games--so I ain't complaining :)

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Chacal » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:42 am

So Andy, what kind of parts did you buy?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby andylegate » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:30 am

Let's see, I posted a thread over at the Maintainers talking about it, let me see if I can copy it:

Well, for those of you that might be Technical Geeks, like I am (but hey, that's who everyone runs to for help, right? :mrgreen: ), here is the stuff that I bought to upgrade both me and my wife's computers. Should be here by Wednesday:

Motherboards

ECS 945GCT-M/1333 Motherboard - v3.0, Intel 945GC, Socket 775, MicroATX, Audio, Video, PCI Express, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA.
Cost: $59.99 each, got 2 of 'em

What we have now are P4M800's, Socket 478, MicroATX, AGP 8x, PCI, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, FSB 533 MHz, 2 DDR RAM @ 333/400 MHz, 2 EIDE slots.

CPU's (Da Brains.....BRRAAAAAAAIIIIINNNNSSSSSSS)
Intel Pentium E2160 Processor BX80557E2160 - 1.80GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, Dual Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan
Cost: $79.99 each. Got 2 of 'em.
Comes with the cooling fans, yay!

What we had was:
Intel Celeron D345E, Prescott, Socket 478 mPGA, 3.06 GHz, 533 Mhz FSB, 256 KB Cache

I can't complain really. What we have had has lasted us well over 2 years now, without too many problems. Mostly any problems were due to overheating or DIRT getting into the cases! Extra fans for the cases and opening up the computers and blowing them out with canned air always fixed these things!
But they have faithfully ran every single program that they've been handed, with no problems.
I plan on giving them a home (one for Josh, so he's got a computer to play his pre-school games, and will finally leave his mom's computer alone!).

Onward! More stuff!

Memory

What we had was:

Me: One stick of DDR 512 MB, 333 MHz
Wife: 2 sticks of DDR 256 MB, 333 MHz.

What I bought:

Patriot Signature 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory.
Cost: $24.99 each. I bought 2 of 'em. One for her, and one for me.

Video Cards

What we had were two different things. I've had a Nvidia GeForce FX5500, AGP 8x, 256 MB DDR. The fan looks different than mine on the pic below.
I've had this card for almost 4 years now. It's run every game and video intense program that I've ever asked it to run.
Alas....it's headed for the trash bin as the fan has gone out. The only reason that the processor on it has not burned out is that I have a HUGE case fan blowing directly on it right now!

My wife has a ATI, Radeon 9250, AGP 8x, 256 MB DDR. It's been a good card for her for over 2 years.

What I've bought:

XFX GeForce 8500 GT Ultra Silent Cooling / 256MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / (Dual Link) DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Card

Cost: $64.99 each. I bought 2 of 'em.

Last but not least:
I also ordered a internal DVD Burner for my computer. I'm going to move the DVD Rom that I have from mine to my wife's computer. She doesn't have one, and so any Games or software that's on DVD can't be loaded on her computer. Now it can. The other thing is that I can now burn some of the home movies from our video cam to DVD easier. It's SATA interface, and the cost was $39.99.

Total cost after shipping was $554.73, but considering this makes almost 2 brand new computer systems, I don't think it was too bad of a deal.

I just verified that the parts are on the truck and out for delivery today, so some time today, I'll find myself elbow deep in wires and circuit boards......good thing I'm an electronics engineer....hehehe
andylegate

Postby Trylon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:28 am

andylegate wrote:good thing I'm an electronics engineer....hehehe

Hey, you too?
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:20 am

Yep, my specialty is Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, working with high powered radar systems, all though it did stop me from working on cable transmission systems, and locamotive equipment. ;)
andylegate

Postby T_S_Kimball » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:39 pm

Heh, best of luck with Z:Nemesis. That was too twisted for me. I wish Vivendi/Sierra or GT would get with the program and re-release Manhunter: New York (and its sequel).

I almost hit the floor when I saw the vid card (thought you had gotten some kinda 8800 card for $60!). I'm using a 7800GT myself (256 meg) and it works perfectly for Uru and SL on my 20" widescreen; Only Oblivion has ever taxed it (then again, I've seen that game tax an 8800 GTX /w 764 meg mem).

--TSK
Timothy S. Kimball | The Kind Healer -- http://sungak.net
Pahts Shells 420 {Basic layout - 70%; Text for books - 20%}
T_S_Kimball

Postby andylegate » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm back baby! Upgrade is all done! :D

WOO HOOOO! Man this computer is SMOKING HOT now!

I feel like I just got out of a little Yugo or Fiat 500, and now I'm driving a Lambragini!

VAROOOOOOOOM!

Wow, the dual core makes this thing fast! Can't wait to try out some of my other stuff!
andylegate

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Enjoy your break. Breaks are excellent for productivity in the long run, they prevent becoming burned out on a project and giving it up (this happens with me on a regular basis).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Off-Topic Discussion