Had a tornado here last night.

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Had a tornado here last night.

Postby andylegate » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:55 am

Hey guys! Had a hell of a evening last night, and why I didn't do anymore posting or anything.
We had a very bad storm blow up and a tornade (an F2 in size) came to visit me and my parents on their land here.
I need not tell you how frightening an experience it was, as we live in "trailers" or modular homes.
Fortunately no one here got hurt, but we did get some damage. Funny thing was, I didn't loose power until it was right over top of us!
They just got the power back on about 5 hours ago, at about 3:30 AM my time.

This all happened at about 6:30 pm last night, my time, oh yah, EST.

My wife was at work and they had everyone in Walmart get to the center of the store, as that's where it headed next after paying us a visit here. So it was just me and my step son Josh here last night. The winds started really picking up, and I turned from my computer to look out the window in our computer room here, to see an aquamarine looking sky, rain that had gone horizontal, and the trees bent over and stayed that way (when a tornado get's close, trees will bend towards it), as the roaring of the wind got louder, I realized that we had a tornado bearing down on us.
I grabbed my son Josh and tossed him under his mom's computer desk, as it's big and heavy wood, and covered him up with the blanket, and then I squated down in front of it to block the opening incase the window shattered to protect him from any flying glass. We didn't have time to get anywhere else, it was that fast.
Then the whole house started to rock and shake, and that's when the power went. Lasted about 30 seconds or so. Josh was upset, but there was nothing that I could tell him except that it would be over soon. Finally the house stopped rocking, and the roaring died down. I got up and told Josh to stay put, and went around the house looking.
The only thing that happened to our house is that one of my living room windows blew out.
Rest of the yard was not so lucky. As soon as the winds died down, I broke out the camcorder, and took these shots.
BTW - Tornadoes do happen here, but not that often.
Hmmmm....well that's one more natural disaster I've been through. Leaves only a erupting volcano and a tidal wave as the only things I haven't been through.

Heres the pics

This is one of my parents sheds that I share with them. note that all you can see is the mowers and stuff. The shed structure is gone:

Here is where it ended up:

My dad had a band stage built behind their house. It was so my sister's band could come out and perform for him on his birthday last August. We had power to it and everything. It was made out of heavy wooden pallets and ply wood, and rested on cynder blocks. It's gone:

Here are parts of the stage where the twister picked it up and flung it:

When it picked the stage up, it ripped the wires from the other shed:

My parents house suffered some damage. They and I were lucky, further up the hill, where my step mom's sister and husband live, they lost their roof.

This is where the siding from my parents house ended up, in this tree. It's about 80 feet up in the air:

A refridgerator that we were moving got blown over:

One of my parent's trees was blown over:

Hard to tell from this shot, but that pine tree was about 3 feet wide where it was snapped:

Josh's bike had a run in with a large branch from one of the pines:

And it blew his toys around:

A shot I don't have, if my wife had not been to work, our Ford Explorer would have been totaled, and the top of a pine crashed down right where it normally would have been parked.

I'll be spending the day helping clean up out side.

Whew!
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Had a tornado here last night.

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:42 am

Wow. Such devastation. At least it is fortunate that no one was hurt.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you today, Andy.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby greendragoon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:55 am

I'm glad you and your family are safe. I've never had a direct hit with a tornado, but I've known people who have. A friend of mine had the top story of his house ripped off while he was in it. Luckily he was fine too.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby Aloys » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:48 am

Wow that's pretty awfull. :( The good news is that you and your family are alright.
Here's to hope that it won't be to difficult to clean out all the mess and fix everything that can be fixed.
Aloys

Postby Nek'rahm » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:27 am

I heard about it last night, andy.

I sincerely hope that you are all okay down there, and my heart and prayers go out to you all.
Nek'rahm

Postby andylegate » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:55 am

yah, we're all okay, spent the morning cleaning up debris and stuff. Now I've had breakfast, got coffee.......and working on Age Building of course! :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby ametist » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:57 am

I'm so very glad that you and your family didn't get hurt!! What a dreadful thing to experience,brr!
Lucky me who lives on a part of the globe where no tornados show up, we just have storms here.
ametist
ametist

Postby Jojon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Good to hear that you are safe.

I recall some time back, after one of those things, somebody made a post somewhere, mentioning that we get some nasty storms over this part of the world too and attached photographic evidence of the damage; a toppled lawn chair. ;)
Jojon

Postby BAD » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:48 pm

WOW.

I heard about the twister from a good friend and wondered if anyone I knew got hit hard.

Glad to know your all still healthy and not homeless. :)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Chacal » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Looks like a lot of objects and textures are messed up. I would reload them from a previous version just to be sure.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion