One Uru Forum

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: One Uru Forum

Postby L. DaVinci » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:35 pm

All I really did was make the icons and skin the forum, I didn't really put a whole lot of effort into it. I personally thought the forum would be used to bring all the guilds into one forum, to help streamline some of the communications between guilds. I helped out to create it because I had some previous exprience with InvisionFree forums after being a guild leader in Guild Wars most of last year.

Besides having to post in multiple forums, from what I can see the communications between guilds is pretty solid. Then again, I'm not really that deeply involved in the whole mix yet since I'm still kind of new in the computer modeling field. So far, I've only had one issue with things around here, and I really haven't been speaking up about it cause I keep hoping that Kato will see my PM for a journal request. :D I sent another one recently too, and it's still sitting in my outbox for some odd reason. Anyhow.. I think things are great here. This is actually the first time in a long time that I am doing something that I enjoy doing. So, I'm very well content with where I am at this point, and I'm hoping that somewhere along the way, if I get good enough with this computer modeling, I'll be able to find a good job with a game company.

That was probably a little random for this topic, but it's cool I suppose. ;)

DaVinci.
L. DaVinci

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Well, I sent a PM to them. I'm really hoping this all turns out okay.

Anyway, I think I DID already tell you guys about the forum idea... might not have. I posted it on GoG but it was ignored and DRCsite ignored it too. It's not that it wasn't well received, it's that it wasn't received at all...
Nek'rahm

Postby pappou » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:48 pm

Nek'rahm, from what i read, many people see your proposal as being redundant. I think it is too. That is why i suggested earlier that you shift focus.

My suggestion was that you team up with Greendragon's idea, place yourselves under the Maintainer's umbrella, and:

Begin mining all the rich ore that lies in the Journal cavern.
pappou
pappou

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 pm

pappou, not to sound "redundant" but I would rather try to work on bringing the Guilds together in some way than working on a specific field of Uru. I'm sorry to oppose your "wise" proposition but my intention never was, and most likely never will be, the Journals area.

If at worst, I'll use One Uru as a testing forum for further InvisionFree projects. So thanks, but no thanks. I messaged Lynnutte already and Lyn is as we speak checking the forum. I'm afraid that I wouldn't think of changing to the Journals if they agree to have us join forces.

I can see you were one of the first few to join the forum. I'm surprised to see that you view people's advice as being "your forum is redundant." I don't, DaVinci doesn't, and many do not. They offer advice on further action, not telling me to drop it as a project. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.
Nek'rahm

Postby Lontahv » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:22 pm

What can I say... it's just another forum--it doesn't do anyone any harm. :)

I have all the Uru forums I need for now so, I won't be checking on it regularly.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby pappou » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:22 am

Well, i can see why you're cross Neky; all that work, and nothing doing.
Sorry its not panning out.
Still, i wish that someone would open up those Journals; they just sit there; great ideas; nobody reading them. I would do it myself if I had your talent, but i can't understand half of them.
But you could make sense of them -- translations for dummies like me.
pappou
pappou

Postby andylegate » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 am

No, setting up another forum won't hurt anyone of course, just don't be surprised if you don't get a large response. Many people tend to think "oh god, not another forum to register and check up on".

I have not looked over at the DRC forum since....jeez back in July or August I think. I spend my time over at Maintainers, here, MOUL and Uru Obsessions. UO was the first Uru forum I joined and that was way back in 2003. But I find that I post less and less there.
I post the most HERE which is funny since I'm actually a Maintainer, but because I'm really into Age building I spend a lot more time here (mostly whining that I don't know how to do something).

Most of the community hangs out at MOUL, and since we were told that the forum would stay up even after MOUL is shutdown, I think many people will still be using MOUL as a central place for information. Remember, not everyone was over joyed about Guilds nor joined one. All of the guilds DID have a large influx of new people after the announcement of closure and we posted videos, mostly here and Maintainers and our ranks swelled, but the majority of people are still guildless.

Having a central place for guild news, and things that talk about ALL the guilds (even the fan created ones, like the Guild of Healers), is not a bad idea. It's a good one. We just think that it would be better to use a place that already exists than to create a new forum and try to get people to go to it. Messengers already have a site and forum and they just made sense.
But not everyone goes to their website either. So even using that, things would still have to be relayed or announced over at MOUL forum.
Now, you might try PMing Ryan over at MOUL and asking about setting something up. They did set up the Guilds forum thread over at MOUL after the guilds were announced. Or just make posts over there in that thread. At least by doing that, people that don't belong to a guild will see what is going on.

Like I said, your enthusiasm is great! But no, you didn't post the idea first. You simply announced that it had been set up. I mean, that's okay, you don't have to get permission from us to do things like that for goodness sakes, but sometimes it is good to ask what others think first.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Zander » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 am

There's also the point that discussion of things over in MOUL gets sat on if you try to promote ideas that involve, you know, continuing Uru in some way. If that restriction were removed, it would be a much more useful place to meet and talk, because, as you say, it's more central.

Since that's not likely (though it might be more possible after April), I can see the logic in trying to set up another nexus point.
Zander

Postby Narym » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:28 am

Yeah, I agree with Andy that another forum might just not garner adequate traffic to be worth the amount of time and effort it would take to put together and keep afloat.

Though encorporating with the GoMe website won't necessarily help there either. Although we are slowly growing. When MOUL shuts down, who knows?

In any case, keep discussing it with us on the GoMe forums, or here, or both.

for all the interested parties, the relevant url at the GoMe forums is here
Last edited by Narym on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narym

Postby BAD » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

D'Lanor wrote:No, we do not need this forum either. I was against the GoW forum from the start.

I still believe guild forums belong on the MOUL forums, but Cyan apparently did not want to implement a proper structure for guilds there. It felt like a missed chance at the time. In retrospect I am sure we could think of a few reasons there might have been to drop that.

The MOUL forums idea really was a bad idea imho. first the forum would have been a nightmare to mod and admin with so many groups with cross, and mutual purposes struggling to gain members and notice on ONE board. Talk about crowded.

Not to mention the ideas of hosting files and sites for people projects being magnified by 5 groups all with members doing the same. Big mess.

Also the nature of the GOW is basically hacking the game. Having that on the MOUL site condones the hacking outright. Making any kind of distinction would be near impossible.

Remember to that this site has actually consolidated three groups into one. This group has lessened the amount of forums, not made another.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion