GreyDragon Speaks About Uru's Current State

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: GreyDragon Speaks About Uru's Current State

Postby Aloys » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:53 pm

What I think is different this time is that Uru seems to be going for good. So Cyan has really nothing to lose by opening it to custom Ages and/or other custom content (clothing etc).
When it was closed the first time there was some hope to bring it back; which is IMO one of the reason why they where so hesitant to do something.. Now it's being closed for the second time, no one is gonna pick it up again; it's dead for good. So they have nothing to lose and everything to win by opening it up.
Aloys

Postby BAD » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm

First of all. There was no hope for Uru's return after Prologue. The game died. The hope started when UU started. If it wasn't for the fans support, Uru would have probably been gone forever. So that is a feather in our cap.

Now it seems Cyan wants to lean on us to keep Uru alive once more. The problem is they have even more licensing issues to deal with than ever before. I am sure Turners lawyers are way more slippery than Ubisofts.

Cyan knows we will gang up and start up petitions again if they don't at least attempt to give us something. So I am sure they have some great plans to give us as much as they can. Time will tell how much they are actually legally allowed to give.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Ehren » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 pm

BAD wrote:Now it seems Cyan wants to lean on us to keep Uru alive once more. The problem is they have even more licensing issues to deal with than ever before. I am sure Turners lawyers are way more slippery than Ubisofts.

Slippery or not, I just can't understand why Gametap would WANT legal rights to uru anymore, what would possibly make them want to hang onto that? Just to make us sad? Would it really be worth it to them to fight to keep? It wouldn't make them money, that's for sure.
Ehren

Postby BAD » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm

To some companies a contract is paramount. They will abide by the contract even if it doesn't have any use AT THAT SPECIFIC TIME. Usually this is caused by the philosophy that ONE DAY that contract may be worth something. It is one of the most annoying things about business. Many companies will buy contracts with the simple intent to have rights to things just in case they become popular or profitable.

So if GT has a contract with a certain amount of distribution rights, they can call foul to any attempt Cyan makes to distribute Uru Live. Even making it free for us to use is a form of distribution.

So Cyan is probably hoping Turner will see that Uru is not going to give them much of any gain and release Cyan from the contract they had. I am of the mind to think Turner will not give up their rights without money being put up, or some other kind of deal struck.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Chacal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:15 pm

I just hope that this time around Cyan understands it's not going anywhere without us.

BAD wrote:Usually this is caused by the philosophy that ONE DAY that contract may be worth something.

This guy agrees.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby MustardJeep » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Well golly! :D <Happy Dance>

This puts me off the question I was going to ask, time to go nosing around.

Later.
MustardJeep

Postby Zander » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:33 am

Well, that's my day made. *does happy dance, breaks vase*

Seriously. Even if in the end it doesn't happen, and we have to carry on as we are. Because I have seen people saying that there was no point in pursuing Uru, that Cyan would never contemplate releasing code or running a server, that Uru was dead and deserved to be dead and that I and others were mentally ill ("damaged") for wanting it to continue.

Whatever happens in the future...right now Cyan agrees with us. We were right. We were RIGHT.
Zander

Postby andylegate » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:31 am

Given that in the past Cyan has said or promised something that got people's hopes up, only to not follow through, maybe why this time the silence from them was for so long. Maybe this time they wanted to make sure that they themselves were willing to do this, but also make it clear to the rest of us that it is up to GT also, hence no promise, but at least letting us know what is going on at this point.

In anycase, if it follows through, I'll be happy for a lot of people, but I still strongly feel that Uru needs a complete overhaul with a new game engine. Part of me was actually kind of hoping that the situation would be such that we'd have to go that route, as I believe that Uru would be even better with newer ways of doing things, and rendering.

Still might have to happen. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:48 am

So if GT has a contract with a certain amount of distribution rights, they can call foul to any attempt Cyan makes to distribute Uru Live. Even making it free for us to use is a form of distribution.

if they did, I'm sure at least one MYST fan would be following them around saying "give cyan the right! give cyan the rights!!!"
I hope Ted turner has nightmares about crazed MYST fans when we're done :twisted:
Justintime9

Postby Marcello » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:21 am

Sure we should be cautious. But personally I feel it's to easy to distrust Cyan's "almost"-promises. If Cyan is silent we tend to think they should say at least something and if they let their guard down and tell us what they want/hope/or what they strive for then we don't trust them because it might not happen.

I'd rather hear what the goals are and know that they are doing their best, than hear nothing at all.
Marcello

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion