MOUL Forum Archiver

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

MOUL Forum Archiver

Postby Lontahv » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 am

Here's a little python program I wrote to save all the MOUL forum topics in a slimed-down easy to re-parse way. Thought someone with a sizable internet connection might be willing to save part of the forums.

Ahnee means "get" in D'ni so, I thought it would be a good name.

http://lontahv.googlepages.com/ahnee_v8.zip

So what you do is specify in the conf what topic you want it to start on and then run it(to stop just close it off). It knows if a topic can't be found so don't worry about having it do empty pages. What it does in makes an html file for each topic. This means that if we have a multi-page thing, it'll put all the pages in this one topic-file.

I've worked on it for a few days and it's already gotten pretty complex. I thought I'd release it before I implemented a bagel toaster into it. :lol:

No, it's not that funny, things like that have happened. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Re: MOUL Forum Archiver

Postby Lontahv » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:32 am

Ok, I've just got a number on the topics:

~15,230

That's not that many. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Goofy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:12 am

hmmm when opening the conf file all it has is the number 1 in it. I tried notepad to open it. could that be it?
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Owehn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:48 am

I hope you don't mind if I jump in with some totally irrelevant linguistic advice: ahnee does indeed mean "get", but in the sense of "become" (as in "it's getting cold" = ahneeen torinai). Other translations of "get" include lis, meaning "get, arrive" and seen, meaning "get, acquire". I think it's the last sense of "get" that you meant.
Owehn

Postby Lontahv » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Uh,. thanks. I always seem to get the wrong form of the word--look at my name. ;)

Oh, and the conf should only have a 1 in it.
That's the topic number.
Take a look at this topic
Here's a cut-down version of the URL
viewtopic.php?t=1507

t = topic
So, this is the 1507th topic in this forum.

It saves the page by number rather than topic name because for an archive that'll be easier in the future. Now say to let my forum-saver go for an hour. then you look in saved_content and see the highest numbered html is 200 before starting it again you'll want to change the conf to 201. :)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Return to Off-Topic Discussion