The Legalities

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

The Legalities

Postby Nek'rahm » Fri May 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I already bought Uru:CC. However, for some reason, my game has become corrupted. I tried reinstalling, trying different folders that hold my data, and screening the CDs for problems or viruses.

My Uru:CC game is dead.

I ask this.

Is it LEGAL for me to download Uru:CC, if I've already paid for it before this? I'm just wondering, because it would seem awfully unfair for me to have to buy it again because of an error.

Then again, the error happened after ddb174's MOUL thing came out... so I dunno.

Anywho, not asking for your condolences here, just is it legal or not?
Nek'rahm

Re: The Legalities

Postby Zrax » Fri May 02, 2008 7:45 pm

That's a good question, and I'm not sure there really is just one, solid, immutable answer... Personally, I would think so, simply because you've already paid for a copy of the data and the license to use the software, and all you'd be downloading would be yet *another* copy of the same data. But then, I'm no laywer >.>
Zrax

Postby BAD » Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Technically you can't. There are fair use laws, and that greys up the laws.

I can't tell you to do it or not, but if you get it from a reliable source and no one finds out, what's the difference?
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Lade'e » Fri May 02, 2008 9:24 pm

Good question, and one I'd love to know the answer to, since my recently purchased version is bad (and we're having a difficult time getting a replacement from the vendor). Where would you be *able* to download a version, in the first place?
Lade'e

Postby Grogyan » Fri May 02, 2008 9:44 pm

The general rule of thumb is that when you purchase the game, you also purchase a license to have only 1 copy of the game to be installed and running.

If you happen to download the files from another source other than the legalised CD copy you are breaking the law

I agree that its pretty darn stupid seeing as you already own a license and a legal copy, but the US is not known to allow people to do whatever they want with someone elses distribution of their software and get away with it, and NZ follows the US lead on that.

I reckon, that if you manage to find a way to download it, don't publish that information here.

I was fortunate enough to buy another copy of the game from a local online auction house.

Also UBIsoft did have an online shop which you could download Uru and PoTs, so ask them first if they are willing to bring that back in
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby teedyo » Fri May 02, 2008 10:17 pm

First two questions: Are you trying to install from a DVDRW/CDRW and did you install it from this same drive the first time?? I know that I can't install from my LiteOn DVD-rw(same thing for Myst V). I believe it has to do with them using overburning as a piracy precaution. You can also try IsoBuster to see if it can read the entire disk.

No, it's not legal to download a copy; just like it's not legal for someone to post a copy for download. The only real recourse is to contact UbiSoft about getting a new copy or buy another.
teedyo

Postby theclam » Fri May 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Is it against the word of the law? Yes.

Does it help Cyan? No.
theclam

Postby andylegate » Sat May 03, 2008 6:01 am

I've had this problem before, not with Uru, but another game, in that, my drive couldn't read the disk due to the copy protection that was on it (duh, way to go industry). However I'm lucky in that my house is a maze of extra computers. I installed it on one that the drive could read the disk okay, and then I copied the game installation from that computer over to the computer I used. so that fixed that....except the I also had to go find a No CD patch too :roll:

In any case it was quicker than trying to get another copy from the manufacture (as of course I couldn't return the game to Walmart as they have a policy that if you opened it up, you can't return it, duh.....) and even if I got another copy from them, I still would of had the same problem.

I've run into this a couple of times with DVD movies too. Not often, but it sure is annoying that I can't use something that I purchased......all the people got their money.....and I got a defunct product......
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Sat May 03, 2008 6:45 am

There are so many things that we do every day that are not legal, sometimes without our knowing it.

On paper it wouldn't be legal. Now you have to consider the probability of being sued by Ubisoft, given that they don't care about that old title anymore, that you have purchased a legal copy, that they have no way to learn about it, and that it would cost them a fortune to bring forth a complaint about you.

My personal opinion is you worry too much about the legalities. You have probably read in the papers about RIAA sending the police on 12-years-old girls who downloaded a Britney Spears album. This is not a similar case.

Same advice goes to people who say "I'm not going to touch Drizzle until Cyan says it's OK". Calm down, folks.
Making Ages is illegal, using flymode is illegal, looking at Cyan textures using PrpExplorer is illegal.
Let the Cyan, Ubisoft and Turner legal teams worry about it. That's what they're paid for. As far as I know, the worst that happened was some devs getting a C&D e-mail.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun May 04, 2008 11:13 am

Has anyone tried using ULM on the Uru:ABM that you now get with GameTap? I realize that some of our ages assume you have a TPOTS installation, but it would be good to know (for those of us who still have GameTap).
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Off-Topic Discussion