Page Dee-Zine

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Page Dee-Zine

Postby pappou » Tue May 20, 2008 2:46 pm

We are all beneficiaries of good design (to a small extent in the US; whereas Europeans have considerably higher standards of design in most things), but by the same token, we are affected by poor design too. Working to overcome the one by producing more of the other is an ambition worthy of everyone's concern.

That is why it delights me to see people like MustardJeep, Justin, Jamey and others who are conscious of this small problem and who openly espouse cleaning up the clutter in our visual world. I found a long time ago that people who are surrounded by poor design have difficulty conceiving its opposite.

Justin freely offered his ideas on a better design for one of the guild sites, and I applaud his generous concern and his attempt to improve it or any visual presentation – bidden or not. By trying to improve any web page we are all reminded that there is a great deal of time spent on these forums in laying out pages. We have countless yards of pages flying through cyberspace space every minute of the day. And my dear friends, we are known by the appearance of these pages, even before we may be measured by the words we speak.

As an example of work done well – a plateau to which we all might aspire, i offer the letter design of this well known group:
letter size layout small.png
letter size layout small.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
pappou
pappou

Re: Page Dee-Zine

Postby pappou » Tue May 20, 2008 3:24 pm

As i put up the message above, i was reminded that here is another example of a well designed page (not entirely faultless, but since criticism seems to be taken so personally, i will leave the faults to your own imagination):
GoW Page layout 1 small.png
GoW Page layout 1 small.png (76.6 KiB) Viewed 2604 times

EDIT: Hmm. It seems the bottom portion of the page evaporates; and i had not contemplated the black on black scenario; so, some of the faults are emerging of their own accord.
pappou
pappou

Postby Pryftan » Tue May 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Providing aesthetic advice is perfectly reasonable, just make sure to do so in the proper channels. If you have criticism on the GoW site, this is indeed where to pose it. If not, I'm not quite sure where you're going with a general commendation of design critique.

Justin's concepts and your earlier comments on the GoM webpage might best be posted here: GoM Forum >> Projects >> Website.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby BAD » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 pm

I think the main point of some peoples concerns have nothing to do with the critique, as they are more concerned with the way the critiques are worded. beauty to the eye is matched by beauty of words.

Lets try to be respectful and use tact in our critiques. ;)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Return to Off-Topic Discussion