Mantis Bugtracking On JIRA at OpenURU.org

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Mantis Bugtracking On JIRA at OpenURU.org

Postby JWPlatt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi folks,

Some of you have used Mantis bugtracking at http://bugs.OpenURU.org for your new ages. We are in fact, still looking for a good project management system. We are currently evaluating JIRA, a professional issue tracking and project management software package. It will access the Mantis database. So if you'd like to see how all that works for you, go ahead and try it after we get it linked up, possibly tonight. The announcement about the JIRA evaluation is here:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=304

I don't know if the GoW has its own tracking software in use. But this is free for anyone or any organization in the Myst/Uru community who would like to try it. The JIRA evaluation will continue for anywhere from a week to a month or so and then may be suspended until Cyan publishes the MOUL sources.
OpenUru.org: An Uru project resource site.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Re: Mantis Bugtracking On JIRA at OpenURU.org

Postby I.Brattin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 pm

I think this is a good idea, JWP. As far as I know the only bug tracking GoW has in place is word of mouth.

X Releases XYZ.age, Y visits XYZ.age, Y tells X about bugs in XYZ.age

A setup like you suggest I think would streamline things a tad.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Chacal » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Actually the official bug tracking used to be done at GoMa, but I'm not sure they used any kind of software.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby I.Brattin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Wonder what happened over there, GoMA is about as dead as can be. Last age to be reviewed over there was Fahets and that was nearly two months ago. Of course they never were really active when it came to reviews, about two every few months.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 am

Chacal wrote:Actually the official bug tracking used to be done at GoMa, but I'm not sure they used any kind of software.

Bugzilla. But only two or three writers actually bothered to subscribe. No need to fill a need where there is none.

I.Brattin wrote:Of course they never were really active when it came to reviews, about two every few months.

Never say never. You may want to look back a year or two.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:06 am

Some of the guys at my office use Jira for all the QA work as well as a good deal of the dev project management. It's a prefectly good tool for bug tracking and assignation, but as a project management tool I find that this is only good as a complimentary tool to others dedicated tools. Hopefully actual planning and project management won't be too much of a concern here. ;)
Aloys

Postby JWPlatt » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 am

OpenUru.org has acquired an open source unlimited user license to all Atlassian installable tools. This includes, JIRA, GreenHopper, FishEye, Crucible and Clover. At the moment JIRA + GreenHopper are installed, and we're looking what we can do with the rest. We should be able to apply Clover toward Ant and Maven and integrate to Hudson for CI. We'll be tying repo access from JIRA to our SVN repo, and both to the Hudson factory. With the IDE Connector, you can "connect to JIRA, Bamboo, Crucible and FishEye directly from Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA and Visual Studio." I'm hoping we'll have some instructions on use and work flow at some point.

In the past, we were limited to our 10 user license and had to allow anonymous issue reports. But that was turned off because of spamming, so the JIRA instance wasn't too useful. With unlimited users, we are now public again and open for registrations; no anonymous usage. If spammers proceed to register to spam, JIRA will become private again or we will do some antispam, but accounts will remain open to all who request them.

http://Foundry.OpenUru.org/jira

Mantis also remains available at OpenUru.org.

http://Bugs.OpenUru.org
JWPlatt

Postby N. Sigismund » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:15 am

Platt, you might know that I've been considering putting Llantern up on something like a SVN or Jira for a while. I'm ecstatic that you've got something up I can really benefit from.

As an aside, have you considered cleaning up your forums recently? OpenUru doesn't have many topics or discussions, and I've found that having many different boards is really unconductive to getting people using the forum.
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby JWPlatt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks for your interest and positive comments - always appreciated. Friends call me JW or use my username, JWPlatt - whichever you prefer. ;)

You - anyone really - are welcome to open a project and use our repository, but also keep in mind that no matter where you host your repository, we can still point our tools to it for web browsing, management, and issue tracking on the OpenUru.org domain. When we get Fisheye/Crucible fully integrated into JIRA soon, for example, you'll be able to link changes to bugs. We also have Continuous Integration (CI) for automated compiles of new builds whenever patches are committed.

We recently restructured the forums so they aren't so deep and hidden in subforums, making the main index page longer. There were more requests to flatten the structure than bury things in subforums - as much as possible. We could consolidate/merge forums, but the scope of OpenUru.org's vision is to allow for a much larger user base. So while these initial phases may look like too much, we're trying to build for the eventuality of world-wide open source Plasma/Uru and other projects based upon it. Also, each project may have its own forum, so the list will just get longer and I expect we'll have to categorize as more projects sign up and the main index gets too ridiculous. For now, we'd like to reduce clicks and increase visibility as much as possible.

We've also recently added a site navigation menu to make finding things on the domain easier for everyone. We implemented it for the main site pages and wrapped the forums into it so far. It will be integrated as quickly as possible with our other resources. We have just started discussions to unify authentication across some or all of our resources.
JWPlatt

Return to Off-Topic Discussion