The PlasmaClient Thread

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: This is in no way an announcement of an ongoing project

Postby Aloys » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:26 pm

PaladinOfKaos wrote:No legalities on the code font, though it's a real pain in the @$$ to build it on windows (...)
I'd rather be spending my time coding, rather than doing pre-alpha releases. At least until there's enough interest and enough of the engine is working that I can get useful bug reports.

Right, that makes sense.

PaladinOfKaos wrote:The real legal issue is the Python and SDL - those aren't currently downloaded from Cyan, you need to have them already unpacked, the way they were in CC - and beyond that the Python has to be decompyled.

I guess one theoretical possibility would be to have an installer that does the Python/SDL unpacking+decompilling part as part of its whole install process of the client. But that very theoretical.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=352140#352140

Shit, meet fan.

Heh.. Who knows, hopefully it'll go well. :)
Aloys

Postby Lontahv » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:Regarding the 5s versus 45s load time for testing an age: what would be involved in starting up in an age specified on the command line instead of Relto? I realize that the target age would need to be on Cyan's data servers, but what if you could redirect the client to an arbitrary data server?

[Consider this a feature request :-)]

If you mean making a quick preview option for PlasmaClient, that can be set up so you don't need a server at all.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Chacal » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:19 pm

PaladinOfKaos wrote:I have now: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=352140#352140
Shit, meet fan.

Groan.
Do we need this?
And I'm out of popcorn.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:25 am

Chacal, I brought some, here you go :)

I guess one theoretical possibility would be to have an installer that does the Python/SDL unpacking+decompilling part as part of its whole install process of the client. But that very theoretical.
Drizzle is supposed to be able to do that, but unfortunately there currently is a bug which prevents decompiling the Python file after it was downloaded from the MOUL server. So, if that one gets fixed in the next version, people could do the preparation with Drizzle, put the files into their MOUL folder, and start PlasmaClient.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Branan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:09 am

I PM'd ddb174 about the drizzle Python and SDL issues. He's got the SDL pathname fix done, but said python works for him. I'll play with it myself and see if I can find what's breaking it for you.

EDIT: python works for me, too. Sorry 'fero. No idea what the issue is.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:44 pm

I am using Linux, and it says it run out of memory. Maybe it's similar to the FD issue we had a year or so ago? Or maybe it is a weirdness of the Sun JDK vs. OpenJDK?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Branan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:47 pm

I was using openJDK on linux for that test, just like you.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Oh, weird... next try: I am running a 64bit system (Kubuntu 10.04, to be more precise).

EDIT: I tried to first unpack the file and then decompile the pyc files using
Code: Select all
for file in *; do drizzle -decompilepyc $file ../Python-dec/; done
which was rather slow, but it worked fine for all the files. Weird^^

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Aloys » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:32 am

Aloys wrote:
PaladinOfKaos wrote:http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=352140#352140

Shit, meet fan.

Heh.. Who knows, hopefully it'll go well. :)

In retrospect maybe it was a tad early to announce it 'publicly'. Not without a more informative web page or forum post.. Half of the people overt there don't have any idea what this is about or what it may bring and/or threaten.. Ha well.
Aloys

Re: The PlasmaClient Thread

Postby Branan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Alright folks: Guild meeting this Saturday on the Cyan MOULa shard. Be there. I'll be speaking (again), and I've got at least one, and probably two, PlasmaClient announcements to make.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion