Pity for the non-English speakers

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Pity for the non-English speakers

Postby tangara » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Would it be too much to ask you to reread and to avoid too familiar English in your posts ? I recently noted a lot of posts with missing or reversed letters and it is a real puzzle for me because translators do not take them into account. ;)
tangara

Re: Pity for the non-English speakers

Postby Chacal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 pm

On the other hand, the alternative to using a translator is to use the opportunity to learn real English.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Pavitra » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Chacal wrote:On the other hand, the alternative to using a translator is to use the opportunity to learn real English.

Lasen Sie sich nicth einen Rcuk.
Last edited by Pavitra on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby tangara » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Chacal wrote:On the other hand, the alternative to using a translator is to use the opportunity to learn real English.

But are these posts "real english" or not, that is the question... ;) Most of the time, I have just to check some words in my dictionnary. Sometimes, it is really more difficult... ;)
Anyway, I do not think I ask to much just to reread and use correct english...
tangara

Postby Luna » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 am

tangara wrote:Anyway, I do not think I ask to much just to reread and use correct english...

I second this.
Honestly it is kind of a pet peeve for me, somehow these/this last months/year it has become increasingly difficult for people to write correct english. I only had six years English on school. I don't write better English then native speakers. But sometimes....
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby ZURI » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:21 am

Tangara. I have empathy for you here. Personally, I always try to make my posts as clear as possible. However, keep in mind that English is a very dynamic language. I was born and raised in the US, and can say from personal experience - that most people I meet are incapable of speaking proper English. The use of slang is so common that oftentimes, I myself cannot interpret what many people say.

For example, I was asked at work once, "You know who cadis is?" I had to ask the guy to repeat himself several times before I realized that he was asking me if I knew "Who's car this is?" Personally, it annoys me greatly when people butcher this language of ours.

Needless to say, I will do my best to ensure you can decipher my posts. :)
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I've taught English to Hispanics straight from Mexico who complain less. They were getting along just fine in a year or two. Dictionary use is good--I have mine on hand any time I read or write Spanish. I don't complain about it at all because the communities I'm visiting are Spanish communities, after all.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby tangara » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:I've taught English to Hispanics straight from Mexico who complain less.

Oh ! This is to complain to ask to reread ? On an international "writers" forum ? I cannot believe it !

Now, I am really, really angry !

So, as we are strangers, we have to accept and undergo that some are writing as they speak, ie badly and, we have to accept and undergo not to understand what is saying because we cannot find the traduction in the "dictionnary that we have on hand"... I cannot believe that you have writing what I have read Tsar Hoikas, about learning and complaining. I hope you know the difference between written and spoken language ? I can see also you are one of the two Guild Councilor....and you dare to write what you wrote ? I cannot believe it !

I am myself a teacher, Tsar Hoikas, this is my profession, not a casual job, I read a lot, including English, and I have also traveled a lot, in many foreign countries, I am not the stupid and groaning cow that you think I am, and nor the complaining idiot for whom you try to get me pass.

I am happy that some have understood what I asked, politely, when I was in right to demand, as a member of this guild, as a mark of respect because I am a stranger and cannot understand a bad english as a native. And You, as a guild councilor and member of the team, should have do that yourself and remind some to have this respect to reread themselves before to post so they are understood by all. Unfortunately, the some who have understood are not the same who write like pigs, because as they are clever they are also enough sensitive to care to others...So I thank you really so much Zuri, but I have never had problems to read and understand you.

Tsar Hoikas wrote:I don't complain about it at all because the communities I'm visiting are Spanish communities, after all.

Perhaps that if you were a supporter of rereading yourself, you would have been able to point out how much this sentence is insulting.
tangara

Postby Chacal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Actually no, it isn't. I think you are misinterpreting.

Also, your expectations are unreasonable. There is no guarantee of language skills on the internet.
Quality of language is desirable, but this is an internet forum, and linguistic skills will vary.
People come here because they like writing Ages, not because they are good at writing in English.
I'm sorry but you have no right to "demand" anything (caution: "demand" in English means "exiger" in French).

By being a member of internet forums for several years, my English skills have improved to the point that I can understand what I read, even if it is poorly written, without the help of a translation service. This will happen to you if you keep on trying.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby tachzusamm » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Who cares about correct english when the reasons for misunderstandings are hidden somewhere else?

To clarify this: Using correct grammar does not guarantee that a writer will be understood.
More important in my opinion is a) that a text is written in a way that it describes in detail what is meant, and b) that the reader tries to take into account the nationality, location and mentality of the writer. And maybe his actual mood, time left for the posting, and his age. Which is of course difficult in an international forum, especially when both persons do not know much about each other.

So, Tangara, instead of getting angry I would suggest to ask a writer "what did you mean with that" instead of trying to interpret something into a text the writer may not have intended. Trying to do so could fail.

Back to topic:
Sure, correctly written words would make it easier to look-up in a dictionary - but we are here for URU Age writing, not for learning or teaching english.
I'm absolutely with you when you say "it's sometimes difficult" - I have the same problems from time to time - because my german english is quite different from american english, and sometimes I don't understand the fine differences, or abbreviations.
But to be honest: I for myself would hesitate to post something as a respond to a help request when I would guess someone is checking my post for correct english instead of being thankful for the help.

The world began to shrink when the internet was born. But hey, noone said this will be easy. ;)
tachzusamm

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion