Pity for the non-English speakers

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Re: Pity for the non-English speakers

Postby tangara » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:35 am

@ Chacal : I know what "demand" means and you are right, I have no right to "demand" anything even if this is not at all what I made in opening this topic. And I have been unreasonable, really unreasonable, you are right too !
@ tachzusamm : all you say is right. I really realise how unreasonable was the opening of this topic...
@ Tsar Hoikas : I must offer you my apologies since I am misinterpreting.

I believe I have to offer all my apologies to everyone who will read this topic because I realise how unreasonable it was to open it. I am really sorry and I will try to do better next time even if "reasonable" is not my principal quality.
tangara

Postby Paradox » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:53 am

"Reasonable" or not, it would be awesome if people re-read their posts.
Far too much syntax genocide going on some days :P

EDIT: Although looking more closely at that comic, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite that bad on here. So we're doing better than a significant portion of the Internet! :D
Paradox

Postby Luna » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:01 am

im srry after u nice commets I see how cool its to write english like thiz. i was unreasonlbe srry.

Show Spoiler
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Sirius » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:53 am

Fortunately the GoW's writers are not the worse you can find: I sometimes find French topics almost unreadable, even for a French ! People always speaking this way: "chépa", "ptait ben", "zet pa simpa", etc (and only when the writer don't forget any letters !).
That's right some people could sometime re-read their posts (I guess I sometimes make some mistakes myself, even if that's more a problem with my bad English ;) ).
Fortunately, not EVERYONE here speaks that bad...
Sirius

Postby Chacal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 pm

srsly?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Pavitra » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Deciding how much time to spend making your posts readable is a matter of simple multiplication. If spending five extra minutes to make your post readable saves thirty readers fifteen seconds each, that's a net savings of 450-300=150 seconds, or two and a half minutes for a single post.

If you multiply that by the number of posts on the whole forum, it adds up quickly. If you consider all the forums on the internet, we're probably wasting years of human life every day, just by not taking the time to revise our work.

You don't have to do the math explicitly every time. But please, when deciding whether it's worth it to hit that preview button just once more, remember to multiply the benefits by everyone else on the forum.

I used the Preview button thirteen times when composing this post. I usually don't need to revise quite that much, but sometimes that's what it takes.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:17 pm

I also use a spell checker when I compose a post. I am very active on other forums where English is NOT the vernacular. I have found that Open Office Dot Org allows one to adopt or add their own dictionary and I use it to check the Spelling for English, Deutsch (German), Tsalagi (Cherokee), Huichol (Mayan) and Oceti Sakowin (Dakota, Lakota & Nakota) Online Posts...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Pavitra wrote:Deciding how much time to spend making your posts readable is a matter of simple multiplication. If spending five extra minutes to make your post readable saves thirty readers fifteen seconds each, that's a net savings of 450-300=150 seconds, or two and a half minutes for a single post.

If you multiply that by the number of posts on the whole forum, it adds up quickly. If you consider all the forums on the internet, we're probably wasting years of human life every day, just by not taking the time to revise our work.

You don't have to do the math explicitly every time. But please, when deciding whether it's worth it to hit that preview button just once more, remember to multiply the benefits by everyone else on the forum.

I used the Preview button thirteen times when composing this post. I usually don't need to revise quite that much, but sometimes that's what it takes.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that well - I read that post, replied (and then deleted when I realised I'd completely misunderstood)... only to realise you didn't mean 5 minutes spent = 2.5 minutes /total/ gained by those 30 readers - a total wasteage of 2 and a half minutes.

If that's how easily a post that took /13/ previews can be misunderstood? what precisely is the point? =P
kaelisebonrai

Postby Pavitra » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Most of that revision time was spent cutting it down to be less full of math. Some posts are harder to make work than others.

I used the preview button once when composing this post. I usually revise more than that, but sometimes that's all it takes.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion