An interesting open-source game project

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

An interesting open-source game project

Postby Chacal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:22 pm

I stumbled upon this yesterday and it bears some similarities with what the devs here and the open-source community is doing with Uru.

In July 2001, Microsoft released a game called "Microsoft Train Simulator" which was widely adopted by the world-wide train sim community. While the official release was rather limited, tits architecture was open and documented, so in a matter of months hundreds, then thousands of add-ons were created by fans: models, sounds, routes, activities, textures, etc.

But the game engine dates back to 2001, and a MSTS2 project was abandoned a year ago, so players until recently had to contend with the outdated game. Other train sims have been made, but none has achieved MSTS's following and sheer number of fan-made add-ons.

Then a few capable devs started OpenRails, an open-source project for a new game engine compatible with all existing MSTS content. It has no data files, you must have MSTS installed. I tried the current version and, while it doesn't yet implement all of MSTS's features, it is quite close and it does everything better than the original. It is truly impressive.

I thought this was an interesting parallel to what people here have been doing, with the Alcugs server, libHPlasma, DirtSand and of course GoW's CWE branch.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Off-Topic Discussion