Out Of Curiosity.....

Anything that isn't directly related to Age Creation but that might be interesting to Age developers.

Out Of Curiosity.....

Postby andylegate » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Was wondering when you all are not running around in the Cavern, Age Creating, or programing tools and server code, what else do all of you play? I know that Minecraft got some people interested a while ago. Strangely enough the only online games besides Eve that I play are Facebook's social games like Farmville, Frontierville, and Cafe World. However, a new one suddenly seems to be catching on there, called Zombie Lane made by Digital Chocolate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hp9EVCM_Y

Most of the rest of the games I play are pretty much stand alone, like Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc. I play a lot of FPS's like Call Of Duty, and just finished Call Of Duty: Black Ops recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcInl9S68Cs

Sometimes I'll load up games like COD on the lan here at home, and we (my wife Tracey, my sons Ray, Zack and Josh) will all join in hunting each other down. Here's of video of my son Zack kicking my butt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAUs3G4zxA

But just a few weeks ago, I replayed DOOM 3. Wow, that game still made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I'm reminded of something my step brother once said: Real men kick everyone out of the house, turn off the lights, slap headphones on, and play DOOM 3 with nothing more than a pistol as their weapon! hehehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qBFS7B-cA

So what all do you play?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Out Of Curiosity.....

Postby Karkadann » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Just the Myst saga and Myst like games, I got hooked when the original Myst game came out, I remember buying Riven before my PC could handle it.

OH and Baghdad Bowling :D
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Chacal » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I've been playing Battlefield 1942 since 2003, I was the head admin on the best public server at the time.
It's still fun for me.

Also:
Half-Life 2
Railworks 2 (train simulator)
Demolition Company (awesome use of the PhysX engine)
Silent Hunter 3 and 4 (WW2 submarine simulators )

I am fascinated by 3D worlds. I can spend hours just wandering around. Modern games have incredibly realistic graphics. Sunsets in SH4 are especially beautiful.
Sadly, I can only play a few of hours a week.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby kaelisebonrai » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:44 pm

I play... well, lots of things.
Or I used to.

Star Trek Online ( http://startrekonline.com/ ) Takes a fair bit of my time these days.
As does Champions Online ( http://www.champions-online.com/ ) Both of these are by Cryptic Studios.

I also adore Fallout: New Vegas - I feel its so much more true to the original fallout games.

Magicka I'm also very fond of. =P

Hoikas, Whilyam and I also occasionally play some Left 4 Dead (and Left 4 Dead 2)

I played a fair bit of Portal 2 when it came out - great game.

I also play The Witcher and The Witcher 2, gritty setting, great combat. =D (Note: There is a lot of mature content in this, don't play if you don't like that =P)

Rarely play some Borderlands, its fun, though.

And of course, Minecraft - I have my own server. =)
kaelisebonrai

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 am

I envy and am quite jealous of most of you people. At least you are not confined to one building and can get out of your residence. For my enjoyment I have my Notebook (a BlackHawk XR5) and Laptop (Toshiba Satellite) these both use a USB 4G Verizon Mobile Broadband Modem. So I have a fast internet connection with a monthly allowance of 10 GB. For my games, I Personally enjoy RollerCoaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon, they give me hours of enjoyment. So if I am not playing URU more than likely you will find me playing those two.

Though if I need a break there are 13 other games that I have loaded and play intermittently
6 of Cyan's Games
Real Myst
Riven
Exile
Revelation
End Of Ages
Manhole Masterpiece

Aura 1 - Fate of the Ages
Aura 2 - The Sacred Rings
Journeyman Project - Buried in Time
Journeyman Project - Legacy of Time
Syberia 1 and 2
Timelapse
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby andylegate » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:37 am

@Chacal: we played Battlefield years ago here at home on the lan too. Was quite different than the COD games. I think me and my oldest son Ray enjoyed playing them. I still load up Silent Hunter 3, with the Grey Wolves mod (love how the did their total remod of the game!) once in a while. Speaking of Train Games, I still have a soft spot for Railroad Tycoon II.

@Kaelis: My oldest son plays Left For Dead. Always meant to bust into his bedroom acting like a zombie while he was playing it.......my sons Zack and Josh play Minecraft themselves (Josh is begging us to pay for the Beta for him).

@Wamduskasapa: sorry that you are stuck like that. I do unplug a lot more than I used to. Being in front of the computer all the time is not healthy, and is why I got so large and became diabetic. Now I try to get unplugged and spend a lot of time working the land out here, getting exercise and getting more stuff done (much to my wife's relief........all though she's one to talk considering all the time she spends on Facebook! hahahahah!).

I've been seriously thinking of trying to do Shivers I with Plasma, but see some problems (no inventory, the video sequences of the 2 kids and the Prof, and then there is that pesky Copyright thing of the music and sound effects.....), still might give it a try just to see if I can make it look good.............
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Tomala » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:22 am

Left 4 Dead 1 more than 2 lately. Although Adam and I do get together sometimes to play too: Teh Ebil Proof.
Team Fortress 2
Garrysmod
I gave Spiral Knights a try. Fun, but the economy is annoying.
SourceSDK, not really a game but I love tinkering with the Source engine. I love manipulating character models and have even learned how to use 3DSMax to make my own animations to import.
And of course from time to time I play Serious Sam HD or Killing Floor.
Tomala

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:24 am

@andylegate
You think you were large and living in a small space
here are three pictures, 2 of my room and one of me...
Click icon for a larger view

Image Image Image
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:13 am

For a while I played Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) quite regularly, along with Borderlands. Now I'm mostly either playing Spiral Knights, Minecraft, or Team Fortress 2. Played Portal 2 to the end pretty much the day it came out, but being a puzzle game, it's constant replay value is slightly limited. I occasionally go back and replay HL2 and it's episodes. I think people here with more analytical minds might enjoy SpaceChem, and for something a little more mindless, Shatter is a fun game that's a lot more than the breakout clone it appears to be at first glance. (also, it has a totally awesome soundtrack >_>)

This doesn't really make much sense as "what I do when I'm not making ages" because I don't really do that anymore... ever. But I enjoyed reading this thread more than I've enjoyed about anything on this forum in a while, so I figured I'd contribute.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Whilyam » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Since I've been feeling less interested in Myst/Uru stuff because of Cyan bungling, I've got quite a list of things I'm doing instead of Uru development.

Champions Online: A free-to-play comic book superhero-themed MMO. Does a good job recreating comic book graphics (though they still have some work to do). My job is to run ahead of everyone else and prepare the piles of villain bodies for when my team mates catch up :P
Minecraft: block-based puzzle/survival/pretty much anything you want it to be game. Simple and addictive. Everyone says I've taken over every square inch on Kaelis' server. I deny that. That said I currently have more diamonds than pork chops...
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: Zombie-survival themed shooter. The games are pretty much like playing through a horror film. I sometimes play this with Kaelis... After Cold Stream, Kaelis won't play with me.
Team Fortress 2: Class-based PvP shooter. Fun unique art style and a fun unique game that never takes itself too seriously. I pretty much always play on iO servers.
Spiral Knights: Another free-to-play MMO. Themed around more roundey cute clockwork things.
Whilyam

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion